Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson WM-00, selling in NE Ohio

Grandpa Larry

Thanks for the CL link, GreatGumbino.

That is a very interesting guitar, one of the seldom seen models of the WM series. It would be great to find one of the WM-180's.

Anyone have a guess what model this guitar's body shape is based on? Don't really see the resemblance to the L-00.

50 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Thanks for the CL link, GreatGumbino.

That is a very interesting guitar, one of the seldom seen models of the WM series. It would be great to find one of the WM-180's.

Anyone have a guess what model this guitar's body shape is based on? Don't really see the resemblance to the L-00.

With that round lower bout, it looks more like the "old" L-1 body shape ( the Robert Johnson guitar), but the waist looks a lot wider. Photos can be deceiving, however.

The body shape of the WM-00 was introduced in 1999, when much of Gibson’s acoustic lineup was revamped.  They called it the “Advanced 00” design.

The L-130, L-140, L-150, and later the Emmylou Harris model shared the same body shape.  I played a number of them back then, but never came across one that truly stood out in the tone department.

Thanks to Larry the WM-00 is now sitting here.  My first ever Bozeman-made Gibson.  That body shape was just too much for me to resist.    Now comes the great  string experiment.  It feels like it has 11-50 gauge on there  so my of first inclination is to bump it up a notch along with a tweak of the truss rod.  Will report later on after we have spent some quality  time together.  No matter what though that Martin  style teardrop pickguard is not long for this world.  

Way to go, ZW! We knew you couldn't resist a bargain.

That may be one of the least-known Bozeman models, so your thoughts will be appreciated.

The question is what kind of pickguard to put on it, if you put one on.  If you're just finger-picking with bare fingers, I'd be tempted to go nekkid.

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

Way to go, ZW! We knew you couldn't resist a bargain.

That may be one of the least-known Bozeman models, so your thoughts will be appreciated.

The question is what kind of pickguard to put on it, if you put one on.  If you're just finger-picking with bare fingers, I'd be tempted to go nekkid.

I just need to with it a while and see what happens with the relationship. 

My first instinct is to  go with a 1930s  J35 style pickguard.  These looked great on the  post-1955 CF-100s.  Just strung the guitar  up with Newtone 12-52 gauge.  Definitely heading in the right direction.  My wife liked the sound so much she wants me to order her a couple of sets for her J200 so looks like I will be contacting merry old England next week.  I am thinking though I may end up going with  12-53 or 54 gauge .  The whole bargain part of the guitar though quickly went out the window.   We picked it up in Kent which led first to my wife and I having lunch and then me heading off to my favorite  record store and my wife to a local music shop where she bought her Martin D12-28.    By the time  all was said and done I had purchased 5 LPs and my wife a Fender Acoustasonic amp.  The best laid plans . . .