Gibson Brands Forums

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just got a new D-41 a few weeks back. It was a 2019, new with a sticker price of $3899 + tax. I couldn't pass on it either. I sold 2 guitars, and traded one in to finance it though. So out of pocket was $0. Except I am down a net of 2 guitars.

Nice price! That's near what I got mine for. I treasure it just as much as the Gibson acoustics. Longest by far that I have left original strings on.

17 hours ago, Dave F said:

Nothing wrong about a D41. One of my favorite guitars. 

I hear ya. I have one slot left in my nice acoustic cabinet. I think it will have to wait till next year. Well, at least very late this year. A 335 of some sort has been calling my name for some time. 🙂

6 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Nice price! That's near what I got mine for. I treasure it just as much as the Gibson acoustics. Longest by far that I have left original strings on.

I hear ya. I have one slot left in my nice acoustic cabinet. I think it will have to wait till next year. Well, at least very late this year. A 335 of some sort has been calling my name for some time. 🙂

I really want a Dove but I am going to need to save for one.  Nothing else I have is leaving or being traded.  

9 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

That's a nice to do list...  looking forward to upcoming NGDs 🙂

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I really want a Dove but I am going to need to save for one.  Nothing else I have is leaving or being traded.  

Someone posted a video of a cover song here about 6-8 months back. After watching it, there was link on Youtube of a different guy covering the same song, but on a Dove. It was one of the sweetest sounding strummed guitar tones I had ever heard. Just pure, concise and well balanced as can be. No idea what year it was. Kind of haunts me a little bit, but have had little time to look for it again. I will when dove buying time comes around. 🙂

So, Dave, got any recorded samples posted anywhere? Maybe top of my GAS tank a little bit? LOL

15 minutes ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Someone posted a video of a cover song here about 6-8 months back. After watching it, there was link on Youtube of a different guy covering the same song, but on a Dove. It was one of the sweetest sounding strummed guitar tones I had ever heard. Just pure, concise and well balanced as can be. No idea what year it was. Kind of haunts me a little bit, but have had little time to look for it again. I will when dove buying time comes around. 🙂

So, Dave, got any recorded samples posted anywhere? Maybe top of my GAS tank a little bit? LOL

28 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Here's my Dove in a test from 2013 ~ old strings, still more than clear how fat the syrup comes a'drippin'. . 

As mentioned earlier, not a guitar for all purposes.

. . . and you're tuned down?

The old strings work just fine on the long scale, and they work well with the maple, too. Ok, and maybe with the lowered tuning. The very played in (old-ish) strings fell flat on their sound all of a sudden for me when playing the J-185TV (short scale) recently at a "thing" at an old converted barn with others. It might've been the drafty damp wintertime conditions, though.

Thanks for putting up the video, E- played it through the nice monitors to give a good listen, and it still sounds like it was recorded with a decent mic.

Any and all clips forum members can share add so much to the discussion.

ps- Eminor-7 wrote- "As mentioned earlier, not a guitar for all purposes."

EDIT- what sort of duties would you not be choosing the Dove for?

Edited by 62burst

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

. . . The very played in (old-ish) strings fell flat on their sound all of a sudden for me when playing the J-185TV (short scale) recently at a "thing" at an old converted barn with others. It might've been the drafty damp wintertime conditions, though. ......

One of my two Maples (the 614) despises humidity. I had the other (the SJ) out on the front porch before it got super hot last summer and a similar result, but it could have been the strings getting a bit worn.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:28 PM, PatriotsBiker said:

'gents, nice sounding guitars, for sure.

Thanx ^ to billroy f too. Can't multiquote your box. 

On 1/25/2020 at 6:52 PM, 62burst said:

- what sort of duties would you not be choosing the Dove for?

Wouldn't use the Dove as an percussive tight strummed'n'distinct rhythm-guitar in a bigger mix. Of course you can thin it out by EQ, but still. It's nature's too fat and mid-rangy . Believe the Bird will be better there. 

Neither would I take it to an acoustic 3-4-5 person kitchen jam. Tried but the mellowness kind of disappears into the overall blend and I like to have the ability to raise my voice and be heard.  It's a bright maple creature - but with older steel (which I prefer), it rounds down and even gets mushy* - especially in company with others. Still it basically sounds good - no doubt there. 

*The reason I choose 20/80.

image.gif

6 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Thanx ^ to billroy f too. Can't multiquote your box. 

Wouldn't use the Dove as an percussive tight strummed'n'distinct rhythm-guitar in a bigger mix. Of course you can thin it out by EQ, but still. It's nature's too fat and mid-rangy . Believe the Bird will be better there. 

Neither would I take it to an acoustic 3-4-5 person kitchen jam. Tried but the mellowness kind of disappears into the overall blend and I like to have the ability to raise my voice and be heard.  It's a bright maple creature - but with older steel (which I prefer), it rounds down and even gets mushy* - especially in company with others. Still it basically sounds good - no doubt there. 

*The reason I choose 20/80.

image.gif

Thx for the reply. 'Was just getting ready to answer your ? on DeanC's Dove thread with this ? again. . . and have experienced the same scenario as your kitchen jam, recently with another maple with well-played-in strings, namely, the J-185. But no 80/20's for that little beastie.

Edited by 62burst

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Neither would I take it to an acoustic 3-4-5 person kitchen jam. Tried but the mellowness kind of disappears into the overall blend and I like to have the ability to raise my voice and be heard.  It's a bright maple creature - but with older steel (which I prefer), it rounds down and even gets mushy* - especially in company with others. Still it basically sounds good - no doubt there. image.gif

Nice description, thank you.  Any way I could flip the question and ask where you feel it would shine (opposed to where you'd avoid using it)?

Edited by billroy fineman

33 minutes ago, billroy fineman said:

Nice description, thank you.  Any way I could flip the question and ask where you feel it would shine (opposed to where you'd avoid using it)?

Hmmm, let's try - I would find it very suited for a recording/song that at some point goes through a pronounced warm acoustic passage. It would also work fine as back-ground rhythm or freer style accompaniment, let's say in a folk-rock tune. But there has to be room for it - the clue is space.   

Recording wise it'll also be a strong partner when just singing a song voice'n'guitar. Yet the fat mellowness still out-counts certain things, , , a poor primal train-wagon blues fx. 

Sitting opposite another acoustic player, that be guitar or mandolin, what have you, the Dove will shimmer and sweep it all up.  Capoed from second and up and played with precision it'll be king-kool. 

Well, , , my 5 Yen.  No rules is the rule. I'll be glad if you or someone else ditch my words completely, , , based on serious experience of course. . 😎

Edited by E-minor7

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Hmmm, let's try - I would find it very suited for a recording/song that at some point goes through a pronounced warm acoustic passage. It would also work fine as back-ground rhythm or freer style accompaniment, let's say in a folk-rock tune. But there has to be room for it - the clue is space.   

Recording wise it'll also be a strong partner when just singing a song voice'n'guitar. Yet the fat mellowness still out-counts certain things, , , a poor primal train-wagon blues fx. 

Sitting opposite another acoustic player, that be guitar or mandolin, what have you, the Dove will shimmer and sweep it all up.  Capoed from second and up and played with precision it'll be king-kool. 

Well, , , my 5 Yen.  No rules is the rule. I'll be glad if you or someone else ditch my words completely, , , based on serious experience of course. . 😎

Thank you, I believe there's a bit of poet in you 🙂