Gibson Brands Forums

Finish or a wood crack?

Henriks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 11:25 PM, ChainsawCharlie said:

That's exactly how my last plustop pro started, it WAS a crack, unfortunately the necks break VERY easily on those Epi les pauls

I had my Plustop Pro (in a gig bag) fall onto a concrete floor, and it was fine. YMMV. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 10:22 PM, Pinch said:

I had my Plustop Pro (in a gig bag) fall onto a concrete floor, and it was fine. YMMV. 

It looks like the typical finish crack that Epiphones can get.

FYI did you know that luthiers report that Gibsons, with the standard 17° headstock, have the most breaks of all guitars. Epiphones, with their 14° headstock, don't suffer that problem...

10 hours ago, mihcmac said:

FYI did you know that luthiers report that Gibsons, with the standard 17° headstock, have the most breaks of all guitars. Epiphones, with their 14° headstock, don't suffer that problem...

Also down to construction, Gibson's being one carved piece with grain obviously following the same direction. Epiphone have used a scarf joint on most except Sheratons for years, which is stronger due to grain changing direction and cheaper due to amount of waste.

12 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I didn't know that, but it makes sense. 

Then again, the greater break angle of the Gibson supposedly makes for greater sustain... or something. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 10:33 PM, Matt4356 said:

Also down to construction, Gibson's being one carved piece with grain obviously following the same direction. Epiphone have used a scarf joint on most except Sheratons for years, which is stronger due to grain changing direction and cheaper due to amount of waste.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:15 AM, Pinch said:

I didn't know that, but it makes sense. 

Then again, the greater break angle of the Gibson supposedly makes for greater sustain... or something. 

Also note that Epiphones 14° headstock is more likely to flex under stress and not break, but may fracture the finish..

Edited by mihcmac