Gibson Brands Forums

G45 Strap

Marcus68

Hey guys

Trying to decide on a strap for my G4 standard....Mostly sit and play but love having a strap on so no holding required...My question is what is everyone using for this model(looks like it has a small button to fit strap over)..It also has to be easy to remove because it is hard cased for storage...

thanks again

1 hour ago, Marcus68 said:

Hey guys

Trying to decide on a strap for my G4 standard....Mostly sit and play but love having a strap on so no holding required...My question is what is everyone using for this model(looks like it has a small button to fit strap over)..It also has to be easy to remove because it is hard cased for storage...

thanks again

I like Levy's straps. Use a Grolsch grommet from a bottle of beer if you think it will come off. No mods needed. Buy beer and its a win win situation. If you like and drink beer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Straps will keep the instrument stable while you play, and you will not have to use any energy holding the guitar in place.   Even when you're sitting...

Levy's are good..  I like these   Levy 2" Suede  If your guitar has an endpin jack for a pickup, you'll want to make the slot above the pin hole a little bit longer or get a leather reamer and make the hole a little bigger.  then again, it might just fit as is.   if you just have a standard endpin, you'll be good to go.

Edited by kidblast

I can't sing enough praise for Sullys Straps. I have two:

One like this: https://sullysstraps.com/products/guitarbanjo-02/

And one like this: https://sullysstraps.com/products/guitar-banjo-1137/

They are handcrafted old school. No factory.

He will talk to you about measurements, how high or low you like to hold the guitar...

Buy a Sully's and you are done. Lifetime strap. The 1st one I linked to is really reasonable too, and it softens up over time. He also makes sure the strap button openings are properly sized.

3 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

I can't sing enough praise for Sullys Straps. I have two:

One like this: https://sullysstraps.com/products/guitarbanjo-02/

And one like this: https://sullysstraps.com/products/guitar-banjo-1137/

They are handcrafted old school. No factory.

He will talk to you about measurements, how high or low you like to hold the guitar...

Buy a Sully's and you are done. Lifetime strap. The 1st one I linked to is really reasonable too, and it softens up over time. He also makes sure the strap button openings are properly sized.

That second one ain't cheap.

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That second one ain't cheap.

No it isn't. I think I paid $130 for mine, although I'd have to check.

It's worth it though.Some guys I know have a dozen straps. They collect them like guitars, capos, you name it. I have the two straps, and frankly one is perfect.

WwAx4X6l.jpg

57 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

No it isn't. I think I paid $130 for mine, although I'd have to check.

It's worth it though.Some guys I know have a dozen straps. They collect them like guitars, capos, you name it. I have the two straps, and frankly one is perfect.

WwAx4X6l.jpg

Looks nice. I have 3 capos. One Shubb, and 2 Kysers (6 and 12), 2 Straps, a heap ton of nice pics (V, Blue Chip, Red Bear and Gravity) and 4 acoustics (all CFM), pining for a Bird or Dove. No amps as I'm all acoustic. 

I personally use only cloth (seat belt like material) straps with plastic adjusters and solid fabric on the ends.  They sell for $5 to $8 and work just fine.  Plus, they easily lay on the side of the guitar or over the strings in the case, no need to ever take them off the guitar.  Plus, they easily adjust to a length that fits.   And, they don’t damage the guitar.  The can be used over the end pin and the underside pin on the backside.  Or, with a couple inexpensive heavy shoelaces they can easily attach to the headstock rather than the underside pin.  To me, it’s all about the guitar and what’s played on it, and not about the strap, thus my use of only basic straps.  But, that’s just me.

Just my two cents.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

These got some good traction in the lounge. walker and williams Seems like an affordable way to get a decent strap that is backed by a bunch of reviews. 

Having said that - you're talking about your new G45.  Instead of going for 'good enough', I'd go for 'top nines', and go all out and get a Sully's strap mentioned above.  Maybe it's a little decadent, but nows the time 😉

ps - a strap is a personal thing, so good luck, the only solid advice I have is dont get anything with big metal pieces on it.

Edited by billroy fineman

8 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

I personally use only cloth (seat belt like material) straps with plastic adjusters and solid fabric on the ends.  They sell for $5 to $8 and work just fine.  Plus, they easily lay on the side of the guitar or over the strings in the case, no need to ever take them off the guitar.  Plus, they easily adjust to a length that fits.   And, they don’t damage the guitar.  The can be used over the end pin and the underside pin on the backside.  Or, with a couple inexpensive heavy shoelaces they can easily attach to the headstock rather than the underside pin.  To me, it’s all about the guitar and what’s played on it, and not about the strap, thus my use of only basic straps.  But, that’s just me.

Just my two cents.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

here's my 2 cents,  I can't use these kind of straps.  LOL!  Seriously Jeff, they just allow for too much sliding around, and the heavier the guitar the more these cut into my shoulder, I have a less paul that is close to 12 lbs.    But hey, if they work for you, why not...