Gibson Brands Forums

Slash J 45 demo

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

If you want the loudest J 45 you can get from Bozeman this is it

Just goes to show that  those massive banner era necks gave some of those Southern Jumbo’s and J 45’s endless rumble.

This thing is a beast ... Slash and Gibson have done something amazing with this concept.

JC 

Doesn't strike me as different, sound- or otherwise, from other J-45s except perhaps for the neck profile and it being an artist signature model. I don't like the kidney-style tuners at all. I wish Gibson would do away with them entirely on their modern lineup. At least give us keystone-style button ends.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

31 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Doesn't strike me as different, sound- or otherwise, from other J-45s except perhaps for the neck profile and it being an artist signature model. I don't like the kidney-style tuners at all. I wish Gibson would do away with them entirely on their modern lineup. At least give us keystone-style button ends.

L,

That’s exactly why Gibson introduced the 50’s,60’s J 45’s and J 50’s this year those don’t have grovers.

Slash is a touring musician so perhaps the Grovers suit his needs better.

I played one of these at NAMM and it is different than a Standard J 45 ... this one is more for a rocker and less for a person who sings and plays .Obviously you can adjust your technique so it’s not as loud but honestly  this is a really good J 45 variant in my opinion and will sound it’s best if you dig into it.

I’d order one in a heartbeat if I could make my mind up about the neck.

How are you liking your J 180?

JC 

1 hour ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

L,

That’s exactly why Gibson introduced the 50’s,60’s J 45’s and J 50’s this year those don’t have grovers.

I played one of these at NAMM and it is different than a Standard J 45 ... this one is more for a rocker and less for a person who sings and plays .Obviously you can adjust your technique so it’s not as loud but honestly  this is a really good J 45 variant in my opinion and will sound it’s best if you dig into it.

JC 

I love me some Grovers but I dislike the kidney button ends.  Gibson started out using Grovers with keystone ends, as is the case on my 2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard, and I wish they'd go back. I've never seen Slash using an actual Gibson acoustic on stage, or any acoustic for that matter.

My J-180 is in full swing. You should get one yourself or let them make an Everly Historic for you through their M2M if you haven't already. Don't waste your money on an ordinary J-45.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

On 3/22/2020 at 9:47 PM, JuanCarlosVejar said:

L,

JC 

JC, on a different note (since you can't receive PMs for some reason), do you have any solid information what string gauge Cat Stevens used, or still uses, on his guitars (esp. J-180)? In the '60s and '70s, I assume, medium gauge strings were still en vogue. Do you know if he still uses them?

Hope you and your family are all well.

Best,
Leonard

21 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

JC, on a different note (since you can't receive PMs for some reason), do you have any solid information what string gauge Cat Stevens used, or still uses, on his guitars (esp. J-180)? In the '60s and '70s, I assume, medium gauge strings were still en vogue. Do you know if he still uses them?

Hope you and your family are all well.

Best,
Leonard

L,

Hey I’m not sure what strings he used but I’ll dig a little and see what I can find if anything.

My Sheryl Crow guitar came in to Fuller’s a few days ago but it was sent back because they installed a strap button in it ... and I had requested no electronics nor strap button,

They are going to start a new one from scratch as soon as Bozeman can resume working.

I’ll check to see if my message bin is full.

All the best to you and your family as well.

JC