Gibson Brands Forums

The 3-Minute Project

dhanners623

Since most of us have time on our hands now, I have started a new YouTube initiative called The 3-Minute Project. When I analyze the great songs I listened to growing up, one thing that stands out is how short they are. Songwriters were writing for radio and to fit the song on a 45 (one side of a 45 could hold about 4:30 worth of music) and brevity was important. But gee whiz, they could tell an amazing story in less than 3 minutes.

Merle Haggard’s “Mama Tried" is one of the best songs ever written and he tells the whole story in 2:12. It took Johnny Cash 2:50 to sing “Folsom Prison Blues." Buck Owens knocked out "Hello Trouble" in 2:02. Dave Dudley took 2:24 to sing, “Six Days on the Road.” The list goes on.

John Fogerty was a master at this: “Who’ll Stop the Rain” (2:29), “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” (2:39), “Fortunate Son” (2:21) and “Lookin’ Out My Back Door” (2:35) are ready examples.

I have started filming and posting some of my songs that clock in at 3 minutes or less. Some do that naturally, but some have required a bit of editing and rewriting. Actually, there are a couple of songs (so far) that I think have been improved by the emphasis on brevity.

If you're interested, my channel is here: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzdZhPModnRFb7fnZef-ZBA

Naturally, I'm not a Haggard or a Cash or a Fogerty. But my theory is if you like the songs, great, and if you don't, then I've wasted less than 3 minutes of your time.

On 3/25/2020 at 3:56 AM, Murph said:

Jerry Riopelle was HUGE is the Mesa/Phoenix area in the mid 70's due to excellent underground radio. National acts would open for him in those days.

This clocks in at 2:27.

Wonder what he’s up to these days? Do you know anything?