Gibson Brands Forums

60's j-50 model, anyone tried them out yet?

kelly campbell

I went out yesterday for the first time in any store or business in 54 days..It was a joy.    Sweetwater had one of the 60's j-50  out  and I tried it and loved it.. I have never even held one before..but it was fantastic.. anyone else tried them yet?

Edited by kelly campbell

I think they are really interesting. I have a 2008 J-50 and a 1965 J-50, and this new model seems to combine the best of both. But which guitar were you looking at? Did it have a burst finish or a natural top?  Guitar Center shows three different 60's J-45 models - Wine Red, Ebony and Antique Natural but no burst.  I think the natural is really a J-50

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/60s-J-45-Original-Acoustic-Guitar-Ebony-1500000317141.gc?rNtt=j-45&index=14

And Sweetwater agrees.... they call it a 60's J-50

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OCRS5060ANN--gibson-acoustic-60s-j-50-original-antique-natural

and the other two are J-45's

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OCRS4560WRN--gibson-acoustic-60s-j-45-original-wine-red

Oh well, I really can't afford to spend that much on another guitar I don't need anyway. 😞

16 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I think they are really interesting. I have a 2008 J-50 and a 1965 J-50, and this new model seems to combine the best of both. But which guitar were you looking at? Did it have a burst finish or a natural top?  Guitar Center shows three different 60's J-45 models - Wine Red, Ebony and Antique Natural but no burst.  I think the natural is really a J-50

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/60s-J-45-Original-Acoustic-Guitar-Ebony-1500000317141.gc?rNtt=j-45&index=14

And Sweetwater agrees.... they call it a 60's J-50

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OCRS5060ANN--gibson-acoustic-60s-j-50-original-antique-natural

and the other two are J-45's

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OCRS4560WRN--gibson-acoustic-60s-j-45-original-wine-red

Oh well, I really can't afford to spend that much on another guitar I don't need anyway. 😞

Sorry but it was the J50 I tried both but it was the J-50 1960's model my mistake.

It's interesting that they've gone to the 1 11/16" nut with this 60's model--which would have been standard up to about 1965--but they are also using scalloped top braces, which Gibson stopped doing about 1955.

Neck profiles in the 1960's were pretty thin as well, so it would be interesting to see how the "rounded" neck profile on this one compares to the originals.

There are a fair number of original early 60's models around at somewhat rational prices these days.

Well, one ad says bone adjustable another says tuqs. Though bone would be louder I'm almost sure tusq is the case. 

Bone would actually also be louder than ceramic, which of course is the real deal. Guess Bozeman wants a close-but-no-cigar - situation. If goin' for real vintage timbre, you still have to walk that extra mile. 

The Sweet Water demo-film indicates the difference between adj. saddle and ordinary ditto (red and black 45s). The latter being stronger, more massive where the adj. has that certain undefinable ring to it. A flavor that would be even more pronounced had they offered us the original white clay. 

Btw. 1 Q : When did the earliest adjustable bridges/saddles leave Kalamazoo - somewhere in the late 50s ? , , , and was Epiphone the first-mover. . 

15 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Btw. 1 Q : When did the earliest adjustable bridges/saddles leave Kalamazoo - somewhere in the late 50s ? , , , and was Epiphone the first-mover. . 

The J-160 had an ADJ bridge when it came out in 1954.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, j45nick said:

It's interesting that they've gone to the 1 11/16" nut with this 60's model--which would have been standard up to about 1965--but they are also using scalloped top braces, which Gibson stopped doing about 1955.

Neck profiles in the 1960's were pretty thin as well, so it would be interesting to see how the "rounded" neck profile on this one compares to the originals.

There are a fair number of original early 60's models around at somewhat rational prices these days.

It is the 1960s neck carves which I could never make peace with.

Interesting that they took the 1 11/16" nut and on the J45s combined it with  the Boob Logo and then threw  scalloped bracing into the stew.  I wonder about the bridge plate?  In the 1960s, Gibson went with an oversized stiff laminate bridge plate which I always assumed was needed to support the ADJ saddle bridge which weighed about three times as much as the standard pin bridge.  I cannot imagine Bozeman going that direction which would actually be a massive improvement over the original design,

My hands are pretty small, so I always liked thin necks a nd that's the reason I got a 1965 J-50 back in 2015. But it's funny.... these days I've been playing my 2008 J-50 at lot and have to say the bigger neck feels OK now. Played the 1965 J-50 yesterday for the first time in awhile, and the skinny neck actually bothered me until I got used to it again. And I have to really change my whole technique to bring out the best in that old guitar.

This  just reminded me that the guitar is less important than my technique, and devoting more time to practice is ultimately more satisfying than spending money on new guitars.  Yesterday my granddaughter spilled water on her laptop so I dropped $1000 to get a new one. My daughter is working from home on reduced salary, son in law is unemployed. My computers are  8 years old and need replacing, pension payments have been reduced and the royalties I usually get are gone. No end to the things that need fixing around the house.

I'm still fine, and much luckier than many people so I'm not worried. But this just isnt the time to buy another guitar, three acoustics are more than enough for me. 🙂

Edited by Boyd

So in looking at the specs on these guitars I am having a hard time seeing what the difference is between a J-45 and J-50.  The J-50s show a body type as "J-45" so I guess they are the same size.  They both have Sitka spruce tops, mahogany bodies, mahogany necks with rosewood fingergboards.  They all have round profile necks (except the modern J-45 which is slim).  Other than 3/100th of an inch difference in nut width depending on the model they seem to be the same guitar?  Am I missing something?

Also noticed that the 50s J-50 has a Baggs VCT pickup whereas the 60s J-50 has none.  How historically correct can that be as I don't think there were any such pick ups in the 50s.  Not that it's a bad feature just seem odd to include it. 

On 5/10/2020 at 5:12 PM, j45nick said:

The J-160 had an ADJ bridge when it came out in 1954.

I assume they were ceramic, not rosewoody. Never seen a J-160E with the wooden version. If the concept started with the modern electric acoustic, the switch to the regular acoustics may have been more or less casual. And adding nuance to the new acoustic sound, Kalamazoo may have chosen to introduce the softer variation during the move.

Only speculations here - please come in with competent assistance. Wooden saddles on the J-160, , , !? , , , and was that model the first carrier of the adjustable idea. . !?