Gibson Brands Forums

Thinkin' about '57 Classics...

Jantha

So, I'm thinking about doing the '57 Classic / Classic Plus combo in my G400. Problem is, I can only afford one at this point. I'm just curious which one y'all would do first if you were in my position? The stuff I play varies quite a bit.. but typically classic rock type.

I'm leaning towards the Classic at the neck first. Any opinions/suggestions are welcome.

Hey man! i read somewhere that putting 57C's in a G400 kills the tone massively, but could be trippin. what i would do would be to buy the bridge pickup first (unless you mostly use bridge) then if you like that, save up for the newt one. good choice on the pups tho.

So' date=' I'm thinking about doing the '57 Classic / Classic Plus combo in my G400. Problem is, I can only afford one at this point. I'm just curious which one y'all would do first if you were in my position? The stuff I play varies quite a bit.. but typically classic rock type.

I'm leaning towards the Classic at the neck first. Any opinions/suggestions are welcome.[/quote']

Are you in the US? I think I still have a set of these, uncovered, in a box somewhere. Both black coils, a 57 Classic and a 57 Classic+. If you're interested and US mailable, I'll hunt for them and make you a deal you can live with.

I really LOVE the 57's in my ES-339.

But......

I have to wonder, if the semi hollow design has anything to do with the sustain, and the cutting edge tone I get with it, as I've never used them before. My SG has ceremics, and I loved them with my Marshall.

It's a never ending quest, I'm sure......

Best of luck to you.

Murph.

The 57/57+ combo is the sh!t in any Gibson in my opinion!

I have a straight up 57 set in my SG 61 and in my ES-335 - I LOVE 'em. The 57+ with a little more sizzle is the sh!t.

As far as covers are concerned, get Gibson covers.

German nickel silver or something like that. Price isn't too bad, and I agree the pickups look goofy without them.

Aftermarket covers will be unpredictable, too may variables to figure out what went wrong if the swap goes bad.

The 57/57+ combo is the sh!t in any Gibson in my opinion!

I have a straight up 57 set in my SG 61 and in my ES-335 - I LOVE 'em. The 57+ with a little more sizzle is the sh!t.

As far as covers are concerned' date=' get Gibson covers.

German nickel silver or something like that. Price isn't too bad, and I agree the pickups look goofy without them.

Aftermarket covers will be unpredictable, too may variables to figure out what went wrong if the swap goes bad.[/quote']

yep.I agree.You won't find many people to complain of the 57 pickup either.57 and 57 plus is perfect.If want same ,only little hotter,then the Angus would be the answer.to me,the Angus pickup sounds very much like the 57 classic plus,only hotter

Archived