Gibson Brands Forums

My Stage Right 15 Watt Tube Amp Udate

mihcmac

On 5/5/2021 at 8:32 AM, TheKid56 said:

I’m picking up a used Stage Right 15W tomorrow and will let you know what I think.  Like others I’ve been eyeing the Blues Jr. for some time waiting for a decent used one at a decent price - not gonna happen.  Came across these while researching and listened to several YouTube demos and this thing sounds awesome.  And a real spring reverb tank to boot!  Some are upgrading the tank while others say the stock reverb works for them. Can’t wait to plug in.  I’m a novice beginner at the age of 64 trying to learn on my own - I have a Fender SuperChamp XD 15W tube hybrid and can’t wait to hear with the Stage Right in stereo.  I’ve had a Fender CyberDeluxe modeler and a Line6 Pod XT modeler and some other solid state and DSP amps but got rid of them - going to tube sound with pedals.  Will let you know after I pick up the Monoprice (what a weird name - like it’s a budget outfit like the Dollar Store).

Welcome to the forum, let me know how you like it.

If I was to change any one thing on the amp it would be to give it a black control panel, similar to the new Stage Right 50 watt tube head.

6259131.jpg

• 1 month later...

I realized that in the year and a half I have owned my  SR15's I have never really tried to see how much headroom I could get. So with the Gain below 2 with an open chord going I accidentally fumbled the Volume to 10, it was brutal but clean and had amount of permanent ear damage. I backed the Volume off to 9 and played very very loud while I had backed about 10' away. Continuing to play very clean then stepped on my OD and OMG it was it was frightening. So I have found that you can really crank the Volume while getting good headroom between 1 and 3 on the Gain without loosing definition. Usually I play on the dirty side but tomorrow at my jam I am going to push the crap out of it...

8Pf8THM.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 2:32 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

After all this praising you just figured out what the master volume does? Sheesh

Well, after almost 60 years of playing just about every guitar amp under the sun, I was shocked at how much clean headroom the SR15 could produce while limiting the Gain at 2 and cranking the Master Volume. It seems it can get incredibly loud, painfully so if you are too close to it.

At my jam outdoors yesterday my power test proved it could sustain a much higher level of clean sound without breaking up.  The SR15 was actually vibrating the lanai quite a bit I could feel it coming up through my feet. Anyway to bring it under control I set the Gain on 1 with the Master Volume on 7. This being a rural location where the neighbors are off grid, weekend jungle concerts have become the norm for entertainment.

The point is that I didn't know till now that the amp was capable of producing this much headroom and when I punched in my pedals it was Wonderfull.

Will have to see how well the JJ EL84's holdup cranking the power amp.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Here's a schematic that I found that appears to be reasonably correct, if you ever need one -

full?d=1479744786

Thank you, that looks like the original Laney that the first gen Stage Right 15 seems to have been based on. The first gen SR15 had High and Low input jacks, where on the new version they have been replaced with a switch and use a single input jack. The Schematic looks very accurate compared to what I saw when I inspected the CB and wiring.

On my amp tests, one of the things I have noticed is that when you crank the Gain to 10 the actual volume db maxes out at about 7 on the Master Volume. But when the Gain is between 1 and 3 the Master Volume does increase the db through the full sweep of the control to 10.

My new practice area, I am really digging my Stage Rights, the sound is kind of reminiscent of my old Ampeg's, which was my amp of choice coming up, but Ampeg doesn’t seem to make a lot of guitar amps anymore. 

zVeKuiW.jpg

My last Ampeg

kH0AlnM.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

• 2 months later...
On 9/3/2021 at 2:52 AM, SteveFord said:

I didn't even know Ampeg was still in business.

Yamaha bought them up, bass amps only.

The new Stage Right 50 watt SB12 combo and SB20 head, look kind of similar to my old VT 120 in the pic below.

6259141.jpg                           6259131.jpg

The VT 120 was from the mid 90's era, it still works but I moved on to a Marshall AVT 2-75 in the early 2000's, then when I cam e to the Islands I got an AVT 150 full stack. Now, with a few amps in-between, I use two SR15's.

kH0AlnM.jpg   https://ampeg.com/index.html

Edited by mihcmac

• 2 years later...

My SR15’s are krank’in with no problems, the tubes are still sounding good, the Celestions are solid and with the gain on about 1.5 I can turn the volume control to a very respectable level and still have some headroom. I have never really had to use both of my amps to be loud enough even out doors.

0wJS8Qw.jpg

There are a lot of new right-ups on these amps on YouTube, it seems that the people who actually try these versatile little amps early like them.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 10:44 AM, mihcmac said:

Well, after almost 60 years of playing just about every guitar amp under the sun, I was shocked at how much clean headroom the SR15 could produce while limiting the Gain at 2 and cranking the Master Volume. It seems it can get incredibly loud, painfully so if you are too close to it.

A 15W amp can get plenty loud for a lot of people/gigs, but wattage is only part of the "loudness equation." The speaker efficiency and wattage rating (power handling) also play into it. All other things being equal, a 15W amp isn't twice as loud as a 7.5 watt amp, only noticeably louder. Similarly, a 30W amp using the same speaker is only going to be about 3 dB louder than a 15W amp running through that same speaker, which is enough to be noticed, but not anywhere near the 10 dB increase that is needed for the typical listener to perceive the volume increase as being "twice as loud." A 15W amp running into a speaker with an efficiency rating of 101 db @ 1W/1m is going to usually be about the same volume as a 30W amp that is running into a speaker with a 98 dB @ 1W/1m rating. 

Here's an article I wrote on the subject, for anyone who is interested. https://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/guitar-and-bass-amps/wattage-speaker-efficiency-and-amplifier-loudness-r195/

1 hour ago, Phil OKeefe said:

A 15W amp can get plenty loud for a lot of people/gigs, but wattage is only part of the "loudness equation." The speaker efficiency and wattage rating (power handling) also play into it. All other things being equal, a 15W amp isn't twice as loud as a 7.5 watt amp, only noticeably louder. Similarly, a 30W amp using the same speaker is only going to be about 3 dB louder than a 15W amp running through that same speaker, which is enough to be noticed, but not anywhere near the 10 dB increase that is needed for the typical listener to perceive the volume increase as being "twice as loud." A 15W amp running into a speaker with an efficiency rating of 101 db @ 1W/1m is going to usually be about the same volume as a 30W amp that is running into a speaker with a 98 dB @ 1W/1m rating. 

Here's an article I wrote on the subject, for anyone who is interested. https://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/guitar-and-bass-amps/wattage-speaker-efficiency-and-amplifier-loudness-r195/

I have noticed that my SR15 has a "maximum dB", which  surprised me for instance if I put my Gain on 10 then gradually increase the Volume the dB increases until I reach about 7 on the volume then flattens out, by contrast, if I set the Gain at 1.5 the amp will reach the same  maximum dB as I approach 10 on the Volume.

The point being is the maximum dB the amp will produce is about the same, whether you are going for clean or driven.. Anyway the SR15 puts out quite a bit of sound in its stock configuration.