Gibson Brands Forums

Pre-NGD

Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Brucebubs said:

2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special and 2011 Martin JDP II.

76vukVxl.jpg

Still waiting on delivery of my 1st Gibson - have a new Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200 Vintage Sunburst on order.

Wow. Does the one on the right have a huge sound hole?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wow. Does the one on the right have a huge sound hole?

Yes, J-14 fret body (like J-40) , slot-head, Italian Alpine Spruce/Mahogany and large sound hole. Mine is build #71 of 71, the last one made.

Here's the demo clip that helped me decide to buy one.

Edited by Brucebubs

25 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Brucebubs,

How's that 12 string?  Have you compared it to one of Guild's top tier models?  I really like the J40, it's the only one I've played that I like as much as my particular HD-28V.

My uncle has an American Guild 12er. They are killer.

34 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Brucebubs,

How's that 12 string?  Have you compared it to one of Guild's top tier models?  I really like the J40, it's the only one I've played that I like as much as my particular HD-28V.

I don't think there's much doubt Martin were trying to build a better Guild F-512 than Guild - they even broke Martin tradition and copied the Guild 12-string bridge set up with the primary strings near the saddle and the octave strings at the rear. It was also Martin's first full size jumbo with 17" lower bout. It is simply superb but when it came out in 2009 it was close to double the price of a new F-512 - I think that's what killed it and it was dropped from production after just 3 years and only 231 were ever made. It has amazing depth and warmth, no jangly treble domination. Is it better than a rosewood Guild F-512? I can't say ...  but I just happen to also own a red Guild F-412 and I love it for it's balance and clarity too.

2eOFD4wl.jpgWa3lG0Fl.jpg

Edited by Brucebubs

51 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Since we are whipping out our 12-strings ...

Mine does not have the fine pedigree of the beautiful specimens above.  But it is signed by Al DiMeola. 

I was able to get it autographed because I saw Al at Westbury Music Fare in Long Island.   I knew there was one door in the back of the building where artists enter and exit.  After the show, I waited by that door until the artists exited.

Al seemed real cool and talked shop with the small group of guitar players waiting and signed autographs for all who wanted them. 

IMG-20200613-091536.jpg

Here's me and some rock star I met at Gruhn's. I'm the taller one that doesn't look like a girl. Saw him on the Paradise Theater Tour and once when he opened for Rush one of the times I saw them. He spend about a half hour talking to me and my buddy. He showing us guitars and was telling us how overpriced they were.  That's how you act when your a human. I've tried to meet and get a few  other rock stars autographs and they didn't want to give me the time of day. We buy your albums and come to the shows so you can do what you do. So I won't listen to you anymore. 

76GSTk4.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Very cool.  I met Steve Morse at a Sam Ash when he was giving a clinic.   Another cool dude.  That 12 string is a beauty. 

Saw him with the Dregs in '82 and solo about 3 times. I've met Gregg Allman, Paul Stanley, Jason Isbell, Robert Pollard and a few members of Guided By Voices, all the members of Quarterflash, Richard Thompson, John Hiatt, Tommy Castro, Kevin Kenney of Drivin N Cryin , and all the members of American Music Club.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

17 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I've met:

Neil Sedaka, Petula Clark, Lesley Gore, Jay Traynor, Chris Montez, Jay Siegel, Shirley Alston Reeves (of the Shirelles), Bela Fleck, Jerry Blavat (lol), Chubby Checker, Gary US Bonds, The Belmonts, members of Sha Na Na, The Four Tops, The Teenagers, The Cadillacs, Little Anthony and the Imperials and a whole lot of others I can't remember right now. 

Did Bowzer flex for you.

39 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Haha unfortunately no Bowser by that time (around 2013).  The 3 remaining original members are:  Jocko Marcellino, Screamin' Scott Simon, and Donny York.

I spent most of my time chatting with the guitar player, Randy Hill.  He is not an original member, but he has his own history. Played behind The Pointer Sisters and Johnny Hallyday in his younger days. 

I've seen The Coasters once. Count Basie came to my junior high school in '79. Our band/music director was a buddy of his. I sat about 30 feet from the Count when he played One O'clock Jump. I still have the ticket stub, as a matter of fact I have almost all of my ticket stubs.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Save that ticket stub. Count Basie - that's pretty frickin cool. 

My wife made a scrap book for me of my tix. It's gonna be hard to lose it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Alright Pepper - it’s been a couple days, how’s the guitar?  What’s the best thing about it?

Sounds killer.  I blew off setting it up. My friend and his wife invited me over for margaritas and home made tacos. I'll set it up tomorrow. I love a D-18.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper