Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic 2018 problem

Saberslash

Hello guys, a week ago I got brand new Les Paul Classic from 2018, I like slim taper neck a lot, also I like that P90s a lot.. I have one problem with it though, today I saw that pickup covers has some cracks on it..I dont know how big of a problem can it be, can it spread more? I find this pretty strange because guitar was opened brand new never touched from any customer before, in front of me at my retailer, with all those brand new stickers on saddle and pickguard..Also I see some black colour on B letter in headstock logo, but it is under laquer..Is that actually huge problem that can possibly affect resale value? It affects my OCD for sure haha..20200605_122807-01.thumb.jpeg.ba7f4119146e1c3960c39e2a5c3c510c.jpeg20200605_122807-01.thumb.jpeg.ba7f4119146e1c3960c39e2a5c3c510c.jpeg Any advices? Thanks in advance

20200609_220458-01.jpeg

20200609_220440-04.jpeg

9 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

if this bothers you, return it.

you should be happy with what you have.

OCD will likely make finding an acceptable guitar more difficult though. You could end up feeling like a ping pong ball between you doctor and your guitar retailer!

I am not diagnosed with OCD hah, I just use it to describe how I feel about that cosmetical issues.. I do not mind laquer cracking, dings and scratches made from regular usage and giging, but I am not sure how to feel when I paid this kind of money for brand new guitar and got something like this..

The pup covers can be replaced very easy and its inexpensive using Gisbon original parts. Call Gibson Customer Service and they will hook you up. The mar on inlay is a different story... if it were me I could let it slide. That's were you need to make the call, because I think you may have a hard time finding a deal like you got there.

• Like 2

A

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You just got it and you're worried about the resale value? 

Not even considering selling the guitar at all, I usually don't sell any of my gear, but I am just interested will this mark potentialy make guitar less valuable and less wanted if this is considered as a defect..

1 hour ago, Saberslash said:

A

Not even considering selling the guitar at all, I usually don't sell any of my gear, but I am just interested will this mark potentialy make guitar less valuable and less wanted if this is considered as a defect..

If you're never going to sell it it doesn't matter.

Yea, I ll just replace pickup covers when I get my hands on one, and call it a day 🙂 (even that cracks are not visible if you are not looking with flashlight from certain angle).. 🙂 And for the logo, I can live with it as soon as it is not outer damage in the lacquer(which is not).

Hey guys, some news from me... I returned my Classic back to store since it had more than a logo and cracked pup covers problem. It also had huge crack on neck finish under the nut, some huge chips in the binding etc.. I got same one, new one, which I will keep since this guitar is not in production anymore and my retailer does not have any more of it. 

It is better than previous one, no flaws all around guitar, just one big flaw.. Sloppy binding job on E(bass) side.. I ll post some images.. Can this be tackled by skilled luthier , for example to clean up nibs when there is more 'meat' left then needed , and also can he somehow fix this lacquer peeling off the binding(or I should just play it and let it peel of more all around the binding?)

Thanks

3.jpg

20200621_114110 (1).jpg

I don't usually get too nit picky but man I can see a few spots where that's pretty rough..

A good repair tech may be able to improve the "extra" material edging up against the fret, but not sure what to make of that dark "line" above the position dot.

C'mon Gibson,  you're better than this..

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of an aged thread here, but the things the OP complained about is the reason I tried 2 18 Classics out and had dealbreaker issues with each one. I ended up selling the one I kept, even thought he fretwork was absolute garbage bag. Luckily I got it relatively less than MSRP and didn’t take a bath on it. That was the last new USA guitar I will ever buy. I only go Custom Shop these days because those are actually done right for the most part. Oh well, wanted to share the hate haha!