Gibson Brands Forums

'61 RI. Mom & Pop Shop? $$

Murph

I'm taking a (short 2 hour) road trip in the morning. Sat. 3-21-09.

I think this shop has one, they did a while back.

NEW.

If, I fell in love, and the credit card was "ready", (which it is.......)

What would you pay?

I realize it's late on a Friday night. I'm booked tomorrow night anyhow, it'll be a quick trip, checking it out.

My question is.............

At what price would you just HAVE to buy? Assuming it was, you know, really nice?

Murph.

I was playing a 61 RI walnut( colour ) satin today. Exact same in every way but no nitro. It was $1399.00 Canadian ( $1,127.04 US ) brand new. The heritage cherry 61 RI goes for $1875.00 Canadian( $1510.00 US ). I had no idea you could get 61 RI's in satin. It gives me something to shoot for now.

I was playing a 61 RI walnut( colour ) satin today. Exact same in every way but no nitro. It was $1399.00 Canadian ( $1' date='127.04 US ) brand new. The heritage cherry 61 RI goes for $1875.00 Canadian( $1510.00 US ). I had no idea you could get 61 RI's in satin. It gives me something to shoot for now.[/quote']

I had one, sold it. Wish I hadn't - excellent guitar. They were limited to only 400 made as part of the GOTW program. If you found one, and at that price still new, GO GET IT!! They are rare.

Here's some pics of mine.

IMG_7607.jpg

IMG_7609.jpg

IMG_7610.jpg

TattooedCarrot,

That is the exact same guitar. I asked one of the guys at the shop about it and he said one of the employees ordered it and then couldn't afford it for whatever reason. He said it has been sitting there for a month and nobody has even looked at it ( except me ). It has a 2007 serial # but he said that they can still order them from Gibson.I wanted to just buy it then and there but then there would have been wife issues. If I want to get one soon I'll have to sell my AJ to do it. I'm going to try to stay out of the damn stores or at least wear blinders so I can buy strings and get the hell out of there. Its a shame you sold yours. It seems like a perfect combo, and less worry about scratching the finish.

I'm dyin' to know Murph....

They didn't have one. They had an '08 Standard with "decent" bevels (okay, maybe not for the H Bomb), with a $1649 price tag. I liked the way it played, but........................

Here we go H-Bomb........

I really didn't like the red. You're right......

AGAIN.......

And they had the cheapo walnut stained stuff, bla, bla, bla.......

And some VOS Lesters that have been there a while.

I'm just not a Les Paul guy.........

Murph.

They didn't have one. They had an '08 Standard with "decent" bevels (okay' date=' maybe not for the H Bomb), with a $1649 price tag. I liked the way it played, but........................

Here we go H-Bomb........

I really didn't like the red. You're right......

AGAIN.......

[/quote']

Sorry, Murph. I hate it that you were disappointed in your findings. But isn't it nice to have higher standards? #-o

Gibson's obviously feeling the impact of the economy and whatnot, this might be the ideal time for them to start paying attention to some of the consumers' opinions to get those sales back on track. Right? Just a thought from a consumer. I'm ready to sit down and gather up some photos and make some "suggestions" whenever they want me. :D/

H-Bomb

Sorry' date=' Murph. I hate it that you were disappointed in your findings. But isn't it nice to have higher standards? #-o

Gibson's obviously feeling the impact of the economy and whatnot, this might be the ideal time for them to start paying attention to some of the consumers' opinions to get those sales back on track. Right? Just a thought from a consumer. I'm ready to sit down and gather up some photos and make some "suggestions" whenever they want me. :D/

H-Bomb[/quote']

Do you realize how wise you are?

For example.....................

I drove several hours, with a wife and children (giving me instant respect....) to check out a GIBSON guitar, with a Credit card that would WORK.......

I could have bought that Standard. But the "RED" looked funny to me. It was, I don't know, watered down looking. Not at all like I would like an SG to look like.

I'm gonna hold off, and see if they can buy some better stain....................

Just sayin'....................... "True Value" sells stain, eh? Shouldn't take long for them to figure it out.........

Murph.

ya know gibson should just hire hbomb as an employee and make him the head of the SG department...the sg would be selling 3-1 over every other in the country in about a month

EDIT: every other GUITAR in the country

sorry...

ya know gibson should just hire hbomb as an employee and make him the head of the SG department...the sg would be selling 3-1 over every other in the country in about a month

I agree......... But.............

I don't think the H-Bomb would take the pay cut........

;)

Murph.

I agree......... But.............

I don't think the H-Bomb would take the pay cut........

=D>

Murph.

Hey, I'd do it as a contract-worker in my off-time. Hell, being perfectly honest, they could just give me the perfect #1 off the line after they fixed all the shortcomings and I'd call it even-Stevens (HINT, HINT, Gibson!!!). :)

H-Bomb

I had one' date=' sold it. Wish I hadn't - excellent guitar. They were limited to only 400 made as part of the GOTW program. If you found one, and at that price still new, GO GET IT!! They are rare.

[/quote']

That is one fine SG and has been on my "get" since I first saw it. I wish you had sold it to me.

Archived