Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Strings - Specs

BoSoxBiker

Into at least the 2000s, Gibson was still winding their own strings in a facility they owned in or near Chicago.   But if GHS is now producing strings for them it is not without the realm of possibility that Gibson is having them wound to their specifications.   

12 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Into at least the 2000s, Gibson was still winding their own strings in a facility they owned in or near Chicago.   But if GHS is now producing strings for them it is not without the realm of possibility that Gibson is having them wound to their specifications.   

I just went online and did a little looking, and some people say that Gibson has their own plant in Elgin, Illinois some people claim that GHS makes strings for Gibson. Who knows.

I do believe on their packs of strings they do say they're made in the USA.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just went online and did a little looking, and some people say that Gibson has their own plant in Elgin, Illinois some people claim that GHS makes strings for Gibson. Who knows.

I do believe on their packs of strings they do say they're made in the USA.

GHS strings would also be made in the U.S.   I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar that whether it be GHS or Gibson they get their spools of  round and hex core wire and wrap wire from Mapes which is located somewhere in TN.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

GHS strings would also be made in the U.S.   I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar that whether it be GHS or Gibson they get their spools of  round and hex core wire and wrap wire from Mapes which is located somewhere in TN.

I tried Mapes electric and acoustic strings, and they did nothing for me.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I tried Mapes electric and acoustic strings, and they did nothing for me.

I never tried Mapes strings but they are  a major source of wire  and  believe supply  both GHS and D'addario. 

Edited by zombywoof

6 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I never tried Mapes strings but they are  a major source of wire  and  believe supply  both GHS and D'addario. 

GHS I never tried and D'addario I use now and then. I think I have a set of there coated 10 - 47's on my 12er. I have a few packs of  coated 6 string sets I bought a while back to try.

I'm very puzzled over string changes on my SJ-200s is all. New sets of D'add EXP 16s higher and stiffer than the Gibsons that were on there, despite no actual gauge change. How do two .053s sit differently in a nut slot is beyond me. Not .003 different. I even validated with feeler gauges and double-checked thickness with micrometer. Strange.

2 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

I'm very puzzled over string changes on my SJ-200s is all. New sets of D'add EXP 16s higher and stiffer than the Gibsons that were on there, despite no actual gauge change. How do two .053s sit differently in a nut slot is beyond me. Not .003 different. I even validated with feeler gauges and double-checked thickness with micrometer. Strange.

I once changed out what I deduced were D’addario 12s on a used guitar I had bought and kept them on for about three months because they seemed new when I purchased the guitar.  I then replaced them with Martin Acoustic Authentics SP 12s and perceived the same thing, only the opposite.  The same gauge Martin 6th string seemed slightly lower and looser.  Yet, I compared the 6th string gauges on  D’Arrarrio 12s and Martin 12s found no difference.  Go figure.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

On 7/24/2020 at 10:42 PM, QuestionMark said:

I once changed out what I deduced were D’addario 12s on a used guitar I had bought and kept them on for about three months because they seemed new when I purchased the guitar.  I then replaced them with Martin Acoustic Authentics SP 12s and perceived the same thing, only the opposite.  The same gauge Martin 6th string seemed slightly lower and looser.  Yet, I compared the 6th string gauges on  D’Arrarrio 12s and Martin 12s found no difference.  Go figure.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

It sounds like the same thing, just the D'adds were on there first in your case. My Gibson Strings sat lower that the D'Adds. 

On a aide note, You'd think that when I used a .056  nut file to lower the initial height by .003" that it would have been wide enough. Perhaps I didn't get as low as the bottom of that slot if it was done with a slightly thinner file.

Given the same scale length, tuning and string properties, the tension of the new Gibson strings would be comparable to, if not the same as, their D'Addario counterpart. You can use their calculator here for whatever scientific project you are tackling. Personally, I don't see the use.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

On 7/24/2020 at 6:51 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

GHS I never tried and D'addario I use now and then. I think I have a set of there coated 10 - 47's on my 12er. I have a few packs of  coated 6 string sets I bought a while back to try.

I used Elixirs a lot,  could have doubled as a poster boy for Nano Webs. 

This spring, I started using Cleartone Strings,  and I don't think I'm going back to Elixirs.  These things ring out nice and clear, feel like uncoated strings, and they DO NOT shred like Elixirs do after about 3 weeks.  and I swear the hype is true, they are clearer and louder..   Got almost 2 full months on two sets, they still look and sound like the day I put them on.

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

This spring, I started using Cleartone Strings,  and I don't think I'm going back to Elixirs.  These things ring out nice and clear, feel like uncoated strings, and they DO NOT shred like Elixirs do after about 3 weeks.  and I swear the hype is true, they are clearer and louder..   Got almost 2 full months on two sets, they still look and sound like the day I put them on.

I think I just bought a 12'er set and one other coated 12'er set. I'm gonna try their a few 6 string sets when I'm getting low on 6's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 hours ago, kidblast said:

I've got a set of the Cleartone treated and a set of EQs. I tried a set of EQs on the 'Bird and had a love-hate thing going with them.

These EXP16s I'm whining about for the SJ-200 Pre War RW might have become my new favorites for the Maple SJ-200 Standard. The Nano's did have a better low-end for casual playing, as in some serious warmth. That, and the Gibson motor sure does rev up well with 'em. There's a little extra in the attack with the EXP16s. Ironically, this feature is annoying on the new one. Maybe the RW has something to do with that.

On 7/26/2020 at 4:53 PM, PatriotsBiker said:

I've got a set of the Cleartone treated and a set of EQs. I tried a set of EQs on the 'Bird and had a love-hate thing going with them.

These EXP16s I'm whining about for the SJ-200 Pre War RW might have become my new favorites for the Maple SJ-200 Standard. The Nano's did have a better low-end for casual playing, as in some serious warmth. That, and the Gibson motor sure does rev up well with 'em. There's a little extra in the attack with the EXP16s. Ironically, this feature is annoying on the new one. Maybe the RW has something to do with that.

An update and partial reversal on my own comments.

Ironically enough, what I wrote ended up being the opposite when I tracked them for my SJ-200 NGD thread using my cheap (and only) SDC mic. Both lost the low end in those recordings than the did just playing them, but they were a trait of the string nonetheless. The brightness and odd little noises when using the Rosewood simmered down to the point where it sounded decent when using my brightest sounding picks.

In total fairness to these strings, I'm leaving them on there until my new mic gets selected, purchased and delivered. I'll track them and see if I feel the same.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:36 PM, kidblast said:

I just ordered a few sets of Cleartones. Looking forward to trying them out. I tried Elixirs once and it felt like lube what on the wound strings. I usually only put coated strings on my 12'er so I don't have to change strings as much. I have an electric Black and Decker cordless screwdriver that has an winder attachment I got from Stew Mac. It doesn't spin to fast or to slow.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just ordered a few sets of Cleartones. Looking forward to trying them out. I tried Elixirs once and it felt like lube what on the wound strings.

I've gotten used to it w/Elixirs so I don't really notice.  My 814CE DLX arrived the other day and they have PB nano 12s   I'm fine with that!

I think the process for coating is different with these two makers though 

I believe it is that Elixir coatings are applied after the strings are wound and set.  Cleartone strings, the coating is applied before they are wound.  They say the coating is much thinner, and unlike elixirs, they don't seem to "shred".  I've had them on my Yari Dread, and one of my Taylors for well over a month.  if those were Elxirs, the shredding would already be visible.

and I swear they are louder and clearer sounding.  More on both ends of the spectrum (top end and bottom)

I hope you like em!  I'd hate to be the guy giving folks bad advice for strings.  These aint exactly cheap.

4 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I've gotten used to it w/Elixirs so I don't really notice.  My 814CE DLX arrived the other day and they have PB nano 12s   I'm fine with that!

I think the process for coating is different with these two makers though 

I believe it is that Elixir coatings are applied after the strings are wound and set.  Cleartone strings, the coating is applied before they are wound.  They say the coating is much thinner, and unlike elixirs, they don't seem to "shred".  I've had them on my Yari Dread, and one of my Taylors for well over a month.  if those were Elxirs, the shredding would already be visible.

and I swear they are louder and clearer sounding.  More on both ends of the spectrum (top end and bottom)

I hope you like em!  I'd hate to be the guy giving folks bad advice for strings.  These aint exactly cheap.

The package says they are I think 38% louder, but louder than what? I love marketing ploys. They can't be 38% louder than a Motorheard concert.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The package says they are I think 38% louder, but louder than what? I love marketing ploys. They can't be 38% louder than a Motorheard concert.

ha!  I wouldn't think they would. 

but yea, 38% louder than,  -- other strings??  but what is THAT comparing to.  you're right,,  Marketing...

but,,, .. you know how your guitars sound when you put new strings on.   When I first tried them a few years ago, I noticed it too.  Then when going back recently.  Maybe it's placebo effect?  Very possible..   But you tell me when you get there..  I wont argue the point either..  I easily could be imagining it.