Gibson Brands Forums

Well, it's mine: 2020 Epiphone USA Texan

pohatu771

I put a deposit on this at the end of June and paid it off on Sunday. I suppose I could have just paid for it all at once, but it felt more responsible to spread it out.

I've wanted a Texan since I first started playing, but I had just missed the Elitists (which I couldn't afford at the time anyway), and by the time the Inspired by 1964 Texan was released, I already owned a Gibson J-45 and didn't need to add a $400 copy to my collection. I then stopped paying attention to the market, until about a year ago, just in time for them to announce two new USA-made Epiphone models.

The Texan has the body and neck that I like on my J-45, but it's sweeter, without the thudding bass that I've been frustrated by. I'm very pleased.

u4umqrkcs9d51.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful guitar!  And, the classic USA made version!  Who’d  have thought it could ever be back and available, again!  And, again being made in the same plant as Gibson J-45s!

Congratulations on adding it to your guitar collection! 

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 7:04 AM, QuestionMark said:

Beautiful guitar!  And, the classic USA made version!  Who’d  have thought it could ever be back and available, again!  And, again being made in the same plant as Gibson J-45s!

Congratulations on adding it to your guitar collection! 

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

It's really amazing; my J-45 and this Texan were made in the same factory with the same materials, but each sound different. They aren't completely different, but they are definitely distinct variations of the same voice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 12:35 PM, pohatu771 said:

It's really amazing; my J-45 and this Texan were made in the same factory with the same materials, but each sound different. They aren't completely different, but they are definitely distinct variations of the same voice.

The long scale of the Texan surely accounts for some of that difference. Congrats on obtaining such a fine new instrument. I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Red 333

Edited by Red 333

Congrats to all who scored one.

I would love to see Gibson come out with a Texan with the wider nut and non-adj bridge but with the the non-scalloped X brace.  For me this would be the perfect marriage of Old School and New School.  Me thinks though I am going to gave a very long wait.

I almost bought a second Texan yesterday. One of the 1994 Bozeman models was on eBay. I was watching it for a week, and the eBay app didn't send me an alert near the end and I forgot. It sold for about $800; I would have bid $900 (plus almost $100 in shipping). It might not have been enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 9:26 PM, pohatu771 said:

I almost bought a second Texan yesterday. One of the 1994 Bozeman models was on eBay. I was watching it for a week, and the eBay app didn't send me an alert near the end and I forgot. It sold for about $800; I would have bid $900 (plus almost $100 in shipping). It might not have been enough.

I also followed that Texan. It wasn't a Bozeman, it was a Late 90s Korean. A '94  Bozeman Texan (which truth be told IMHO isn't very special) would fetch ~$2-2.5K any day of the week. There's currently (9/12) an Elitist Texan for around $1800 that looks interesting but I need another guitar like I need a  cold sore. I have a '66 (albeit on its last legs) and I have a $450 Indonesian that surprisingly holds its own against the Kalamazoo Texan and I actually like it a bit more because of the 1 11/16" nut vs. the 1 5/8" nut. The '66 was purchased new when I was twelve years old and the nut width was perfect at the time for my still-growing hand but as an adult that narrow nut can be problematic. Oh, and congratulations on the new guitar.

Edited by Gralst
addendum

27 minutes ago, Gralst said:

I have a '66 (albeit on its last legs) and I have a $450 Indonesian that surprisingly holds its own against the Kalamazoo Texan and I actually like it a bit more because of the 1 11/16" nut vs. the 1 5/8" nut. The '66 was purchased new when I was twelve years old and the nut width was perfect at the time for my still-growing hand but as an adult that narrow nut can be problematic.

How very cool that you had such a fine instrument at the age of twelve (and still have it!).  I was fifteen in 1966, but five years away from initially tinkering with the guitar.

Currently I too have a '66 Epi acoustic - a Cortez (B-25 clone), which I dearly love for it's tone.  The neck is 1-9/16" at the nut, but the profile is rather deep & makes it work okay for me.  As for Texans, mine is a 2005 McCartney '64 Texan, made by Terada (the Elitist folks) in Japan for McCartney's Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser project, and sports a 1-5/8" nut.  The wider nut on this brand new Montana Texan model will certainly be appreciated by many players.   

7 hours ago, Gralst said:

I also followed that Texan. It wasn't a Bozeman, it was a Late 90s Korean. A '94  Bozeman Texan (which truth be told IMHO isn't very special) would fetch ~$2-2.5K any day of the week.

Are you sure we're talking about the same guitar? The listing I was watching (and still have saved) was 71/500 with an Epiphone Montana label, Gibson serial number, and Made In USA stamp.

6 hours ago, bobouz said:

Currently I too have a '66 Epi acoustic - a Cortez (B-25 clone), which I dearly love for it's tone. 

I have a 1965 Gibson LG-0, and an early 60s FT-45 Cortez is at the top of my acoustic wishlist right now.

I could be confused...it comes with the advancing age thing but there was a natural Korean Texan (I once owned the sunburst version) that went for $800 around the middle of August that had the silk-screened pick guard epsilon and body end truss rod adjustment that I may have considered at $400 (The one I had was truly underwhelming in every aspect) and I know for certain there's currently an Elitist Texan priced BIN at $1599  but it has a very noticeable center seam split on the sound board. Three weeks ago I offered him $1250 and he completely ignored my offer without so much as a counter offer. That '93/'94 USA run had some cool guitars (I've owned three of the Rivieras and managed to hang on to one of them) and the prices they're asking for them have gone through the roof. I have to be honest though. About twenty years ago I had the chance to play one of the Texans at Elderly's Music but having owned a Kalamazoo FT-79N since 1966 I can't say the Bozeman Texan was at all similar to what I knew as a Texan. The Bozeman McCartney on the other hand was awesome but I could barely afford the sale tax on that one. As I said, I could be mixed up. I've been looking on and off for the past few years and it could also possibly be I saw it on Reverb, Craig's List or Marketplace I have the '66 but after fifty four years , two re-frets, and a neck re-set it now needs numbers three and two and  it does get cost-prohibitive. I was told my best bet would be a new fret board but it's almost impossible to source Brazilian and even EI is difficult and then there's the matter of cost plus labor costs....and then we arrive at that originality thing which is really of low concern for me. Most of the vintage Texans in my price range are ragged out and I was really hoping about the new reissue but I just can't wrap my head around that head stock. I understand why they used it and I'm sure it's a fantastic guitar but it doesn't happen for me. I guess I'll just be happy with my cheapie $450 Indonesian which is actually a great little guitar and I actually like the neck (1 11/16") over my '66's neck (1 5/8"). I was twelve and still growing when I got the Kalamazoo and it was perfect for my then still-growing hand but as an adult...not so much. The Indonesian is a pretty good guitar for the money though for nostalgia or something I'd like to have a playable Kalamazoo.  Here's the Elitist listing on E Bay.        https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Elitist-Paul-McCartney-1964-Texan/224135889776?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3D7eb3d1ae8c064875a56dab41f3f0f9f7%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D164380782365%26itm%3D224135889776%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DEpiphone&_trksid=p2380057.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3A18427ff1-f981-11ea-8616-74dbd18069d6|parentrq%3Aa020e3811740aa465e7be725fffb6d14|iid%3A1

Edited by Gralst
For clarification

Just realized you got one of the new reissues. Nice guitar. Congratulations

9 minutes ago, Gralst said:

I could be confused...it comes with the advancing age thing but there was a natural Korean Texan (I once owned the sunburst version) that went for $800 around the middle of August that had the silk-screened pick guard epsilon and body end truss rod adjustment that I may have considered at $400 (The one I had was truly underwhelming in every aspect) and I know for certain there's currently an Elitist Texan priced BIN at $1599  but it has a very noticeable center seam split on the sound board. Three weeks ago I offered him $1250 and he completely ignored my offer without so much as a counter offer. That '93/'94 USA run had some cool guitars (I've owned three of the Rivieras and managed to hang on to one of them) and the prices they're asking for them have gone through the roof. I have to be honest though. About twenty years ago I had the chance to play one of the Texans at Elderly's Music but having owned a Kalamazoo FT-79N since 1966 I can't say the Bozeman Texan was at all similar to what I knew as a Texan. The Bozeman McCartney on the other hand was awesome but I could barely afford the sale tax on that one. As I said, I could be mixed up. I've been looking on and off for the past few years and it could also possibly be I saw it on Reverb, Craig's List or Marketplace I have the '66 but after fifty four years , two re-frets, and a neck re-set it now needs numbers three and two and  it does get cost-prohibitive. I was told my best bet would be a new fret board but it's almost impossible to source Brazilian and even EI is difficult and then there's the matter of cost plus labor costs....and then we arrive at that originality thing which is really of low concern for me. Most of the vintage Texans in my price range are ragged out and I was really hoping about the new reissue but I just can't wrap my head around that head stock. I understand why they used it and I'm sure it's a fantastic guitar but it doesn't happen for me. I guess I'll just be happy with my cheapie $450 Indonesian which is actually a great little guitar and I actually like the neck (1 11/16") over my '66's neck (1 5/8"). I was twelve and still growing when I got the Kalamazoo and it was perfect for my then still-growing hand but as an adult...not so much. The Indonesian is a pretty good guitar for the money though for nostalgia or something I'd like to have a playable Kalamazoo.  Here's the Elitist listing on E Bay.        https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Elitist-Paul-McCartney-1964-Texan/224135889776?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3D7eb3d1ae8c064875a56dab41f3f0f9f7%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D164380782365%26itm%3D224135889776%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DEpiphone&_trksid=p2380057.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3A18427ff1-f981-11ea-8616-74dbd18069d6|parentrq%3Aa020e3811740aa465e7be725fffb6d14|iid%3A1

On 9/18/2020 at 1:12 AM, Gralst said:

That's the exact model I have, and it really is a very nicely done version of McCartney's instrument.  But the seller's listing is slightly off, as this model was technically never called an Elitist by Gibson/Epiphone.  Officially, it was the Paul McCartney 1964 Texan, as developed for McCartney's Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser.  Indeed, 1,964 were built by Terada in Japan as he noted (and then there were the two Montana-built versions, also made for the fundraiser).

All of that said, I have seen the McCartney model called an Elitist before, even by dealers.  I imagine some of the folks who've listed it that way were trying to provide a build-quality frame of reference, as the Elitist moniker is well known and respected.  Only problem with that is the possibility of some confusion, as there actually was an Elitist Texan model built by Terada!  It was quite different in the details of it's construction, and had a notably different appearance because it was not built specifically as a copy of McCartney's original instrument.  I can't recall it's initial release date, but it shows up in the 2004 Epiphone catalog along with a number of other Elitist acoustic models - all of which were discontinued within a few years.

Edited by bobouz

• 1 month later...