Gibson Brands Forums

no fon#s

kooch

Got a '42,  j45  purchased by my father  new after his army days.  Also a '47 j45 purchased by my mother new. Neither have banners, neither have FON#.  both in great condition for their age. The 42 was played by my father until his death.  The 47 was not played as much, but was always stored properly.  Also have a '78 j50 purchased new by my father. The '42 has the riches tone of all three. Going o sell them in one lot as soon as I get time to take pictures and post them. 

Now that is cool.  Not one but two family owned 1940s Gibsons.  The thing about Gibsons built during this period is the only thing consistent about them was they were inconsistent.  If you look at the Gibson Banner Registry they have examples of red spruce top J45s listed which have no FON as well as at least one J35 and an L00 from around that time.   As was recently discussed here, this was a feature of SJs built in '42.  But the lack of an FON was common on Gibsons built from late-1945 into 1948  so it is to be expected with a guitar built in 1947.  Hopefully Tom will chime in. 

Edited by zombywoof
  • Thanks 1

This sounds like a "The guitar I regret selling the most" story about to happen.  You say the '42 has the richest tone of the 3, so I take it you play guitar.  Unless you have other guitars that you really like more than any of these three I would certainly consider keeping at least one of them.

• Like 2

R U sure U have a "42.  I have the original receipt from Huprich's music store which my father bought the guitar from. Dad was in a country music group here in Dover. Oh. He was a life long friend of the Huprich family. The store is still open and has been Roselyn's music for decades. The owner just passed but her husband Ralph (now 91 and a personal friend)  and his sister-in-law still run it now.  Gibson was inconsistent in those days and there is some research from old records in Kalamazoo that indicate the banner was not put on early '42s . All the features of a '42 R on this guitar . The logo, rosewood, Madagascar mahogany back (and sides), bracing,  fret board, etc, etc.  My father was meticulous about his things and I think some time before I was born, he had the tuners replaced but he kept the old ones in a box in the cedar chest. Lots of people think the banner and fon# R  the ultimate truth in ID but they R wrong. 

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

I have a 1942 J-45. It has both Banner logo and FON. Are you sure yours is a '42?

You can check the features of your guitar versus the registry here:

http://www.bannergibsons.com/registry.html

Congratulations either way to a nice group of guitars!

Lars

2 hours ago, kooch said:

R U sure U have a "42.  I have the original receipt from Huprich's music store which my father bought the guitar from. Dad was in a country music group here in Dover. Oh. He was a life long friend of the Huprich family. The store is still open and has been Roselyn's music for decades. The owner just passed but her husband Ralph (now 91 and a personal friend)  and his sister-in-law still run it now.  Gibson was inconsistent in those days and there is some research from old records in Kalamazoo that indicate the banner was not put on early '42s . All the features of a '42 R on this guitar . The logo, rosewood, Madagascar mahogany back (and sides), bracing,  fret board, etc, etc.  My father was meticulous about his things and I think some time before I was born, he had the tuners replaced but he kept the old ones in a box in the cedar chest. Lots of people think the banner and fon# R  the ultimate truth in ID but they R wrong. 

Okey, I was just trying to help, since you stated you wanted to sell the guitar. Using the registry, and the various features outlined for the war years, to date your guitar, especially if it has no FON, will help put many potential buyers at ease regarding the year of your guitar.

Good luck with your sale.

Lars

Since you’re doing a package deal that will be north of 10K, I would document everything, take lots of pictures and send an appraisal request to Gruhn’s, Ederly’s and maybe more locally to you, Gary’s Classic Guitars

8 hours ago, kooch said:

Very cool! I'd love to see photos.

I'm in the slow process of working on a second edition of Kalamazoo Gals. (I owe books to other publishers first, so this will take a while, likely a year, or so). As others have pointed out, all known 1942 J-45s have the Banner. Before your revelation, I believed that of the "Banner" models, only a few prototype SJs did not have the Banner. So, again, very cool.