Gibson Brands Forums

Great Bunch of Folks in Gibson Acoustic Forum

spanishoaknc

Hello Everybody from: spanishoaknc

I have been a member of the forum for a month now and I would like to say; There are a lot of great folks {men & women} in this forum. It is a pleasure to read information and chat about the Guitars and Music we all love.

I have been playing guitar for forty years now and I have learned so much about guitars and music that have been passed down to others in this forum.

You are a great help for a lot of players sharing information and tips from your experience.

I don't type much on the threads but I truly enjoy kind and friendly people like yourselfs.

I am a retired truck driver taken out of work because of health reasons but instead of staying home feeling sorry for myself I started playing and singing music in the local Nursing Homes, Rest Homes, Group Homes for the Handicapped and Churches. Needless to say I have been Blessed by giving back what I have learned over the years.

Thanks Again, I Truly Enjoy You All ](*,)

God Bless - spanishoaknc

th_PaulDeanGospelMusic.jpg

Thank You geelinus. Its great to be able to get out and do, My wife drives me around to my gigs and she is an angle looking after me and taking time to take me out.

That Hummingbird is my baby, it plays wonderful and the sound gets better everyday. I use medium strings. I play fingerpicking style which I learned in the mountains back home and that 'Bird' will sound off in volume with others using picks on their guitars. Its a part of me.

God Bless - spanishoaknc

Spanish,

How wonderful of you to play for those folks. I work in long term care in a small hospital and some of the folks I work with never get out simply because their health won't allow it. We have volunteers come in and sing/play guitar for them and it is miraculous what a difference it makes in their lives. We're always so grateful for people who can come in and play. Thanks for doing what you do. [-X

Thanks for saying that. I ditto what you said. You can get ask questions about guitars of people who know and will give you correct answers. Vendors never want to say too much. Other folks say they don't have time or else they just don't know. Here are a number of well informed and experienced guitar nuts who DO KNOW and will SAY what they know. And they are friendly. We are all proud of our Gibsons (but respect all of the other brands) and give them our best in terms of care and in terms of playing. Welcome. I've only been here a month or so myself. I've had the Gibson sine Memorial Day 2003 and I have longed to own one all my life (but mortgage and bills came first). I will have mine when I die (whenever that happens)(but I can assure you I am not going to play a harp "up there" -- maybe I will be in a jazz/swing group "down there" -- most likely the case)(if you notice the band are all wearing wings -- or carrying pitch forks -- you'll know it's a different union hall).

Thank You All for the Kind Welcome.

I do enjoy playing for all / My Prayer is that the next generation will follow us in acts of kindness / This is a great forum to listen, learn and enjoy each other. Life is to short not to enjoy what you have and share.

Have a Blessed Day / Spanish Oak, NC

It is very important for any of us to get out to rest homes and veterans' residences to offer up some music. My own experience doing music therapy challenged me to learn many types of music from many eras and all this information gets put into what I create for myself now.

The experience of playing for people who might otherwise go without music in their day is very rewarding. The homes themselves are usually pretty easy going and happy to have you come to perform at your convenience.

I used to do lunch hours at a seniors' centre where many came for their best meal of the day. I met a lot of nice people from many age groups and usually stayed for a game of cards afterward. I made friends there - very nice friends.

My fear, is that too many children don't get music in their life.

Real music..............

We'll see what happens with this.

Or.........

We already have................

Murph.

Good to have you here, SpanishOak. Glad you are playing those plays. Kudos to you.

My dad was a truck driver for ages. We had our own rig. I used to go with him on trips and stay up all night running the highways of Kentucky, Viriginia, and West Virginia. WSM out of Nashville was always on the radio. Country music is all he listened to, so I grew up in the 50's and 60's hearing all of it. Truck drivers are a special group of people.

Wow Honky Dog that brings back some memories / truck driving in the wee hours of the morning listening to that Good Old Music. As a boy in the mountains I could get WOWO Radio in Indiana and dream of other places.

I had an old home made guitar that was my Daddys when he was a boy with four strings on it trying to play along with the radio. I remember saving up money picking up drink bottles and selling them to the general store for 5 cents a piece return and getting enough money for a set of Black Diamond strings. I was a happy little fellow then with six strings.

Murph I hope we can influence the youth to carry on. Music has been with me all my life and brings so much joy.

You all take care / spanishoaknc :-

I'm thinking.................

People "without" music........

Are missing a good thing.

And that would be bad.

Just sayin'......

Murph. (I'm Freakin' NEVER wrong......)

Murph.

Spanish, oh man I remember WOWO. Fort Wayne. That called themselves wo-wo, not w-o-w-o, right? Came in big and clear at night on AM. The other biggie was WLS in Chicago. 50,000 watts at night. Used to fire up my 12 transistor radio and listen to those two stations into the wee hours after all the small local stations signed off. That's when WOWO and WLS cranked up their wattage. I hated when there were storms off to the northwest somewhere. Constant static pops. Those little radios were the iPods of our day. Even had the "ear bud" :-) I heard a lot of bands for the first time on those two stations. I remember the night I first heard The Electric Prunes doing I Had Too Much To Dream. Dang.

I've collected more pop bottles than I can remember. Started out getting 2 cents, later 3 cents, and then it zoomed all the way up to 5 cents. Big money!! lol

Your Right Honky Dog[/b] it was 2 cents a bottle because the pepsi was just a dime in my time.

It would buy them Black Diamonds and more if your feet didn't get tired first. Use to tune up the old way no fancy tuners back then that I know of.

I was at a party 15 years ago with my Seagull, but forgot my music binder. I only had two songs memorised in my head, luckily there was a much more experienced singer/player there who sang for most of the night. However, the people at the party had me sing my "two songs" 3 different times that night. Apparently they liked the songs and I must not have been too bad a singer. I say that to say this, we often can get pretty concerned with "getting it right" technically speaking with our music, but what really matters is using the gift to share with others. Thanks for reminding us of that Spanishoaknc. I'd love to hear the tone in that old H'bird!

I was at a party 15 years ago with my Seagull' date=' but forgot my music binder. I only had two songs memorised in my head, luckily there was a much more experienced singer/player there who sang for most of the night. However, the people at the party had me sing my "two songs" 3 different times that night. Apparently they liked the songs and I must not have been too bad a singer. I say that to say this, we often can get pretty concerned with "getting it right" technically speaking with our music, but what really matters is using the gift to share with others. Thanks for reminding us of that Spanishoaknc. I'd love to hear the tone in that old H'bird![/quote']

+1

I was at a party 15 years ago with my Seagull' date=' but forgot my music binder. I only had two songs memorised in my head, luckily there was a much more experienced singer/player there who sang for most of the night. However, the people at the party had me sing my "two songs" 3 different times that night. Apparently they liked the songs and I must not have been too bad a singer. I say that to say this, we often can get pretty concerned with "getting it right" technically speaking with our music, but what really matters is using the gift to share with others. Thanks for reminding us of that Spanishoaknc. I'd love to hear the tone in that old H'bird![/quote']

Wow! YellowKnife / I have a cousin that is a Park Ranger in Denali Park, Alaska

It is good to remember the basics and know where we come from - then we know where we are going.

Like the comedy feller 'Larry the Cable Guy' "Getter Done"

When I play music with friends I'm their to play music and have fun with people and intertain folks / when musicians get to fussing it takes the joy out of the reason we play.

God Bless - spanishoaknc :)

Spanish' date='

How wonderful of you to play for those folks. I work in long term care in a small hospital and some of the folks I work with never get out simply because their health won't allow it. We have volunteers come in and sing/play guitar for them and it is miraculous what a difference it makes in their lives. We're always so grateful for people who can come in and play. Thanks for doing what you do. :) [/quote']

People with jobs like yours is a gift and a calling / I lift up all health care workers - doctors, nurses, EMS, Firemen, Law Officers / all I lift up in prayer daily.

Thats what I do is volunteer in our local annex-hospital, nursing homes, senior center, etc. I do have the time now that I'm retired from work. We all can give back. The great thing is you go their To Bless and you leave Blessed by Others.

If you think about it we all are getting older and if we don't pass away quickly we will be in their shoes one day.

Everybody Loves Music and it lifts up a persons Spirit. God Bless You GillianGirl!

It is obvious that The Faith gives you another chance. The good thing is that you take it in.

Play' date=' hombre! Spread music![/quote']

Music is a part of the soul and a Gift / You are right my friend - Spread Music

"A Gift is not a Gift until You Give It" Bless You

Archived