Gibson Brands Forums

VOS is NOT a model designation.

LPCollector

Im not saying they are exactly the same as the original 50s LPs' date=' when I said 50s wiring, I ment cloth covered wire and fake bumblebees. What I was trying to show is that VOS is ment to be a model, its not just a Standard with a slight relic job. In one of my old issues of Guitarist magazine Gibson describe the 'new' VOS series as the replacement for the Historic line. How can you say it is not a model? If they start offering a choice of 'glossy' or 'slightly aged' finish then they would look pretty silly calling the latter 'VOS', I mean what does 'original specification' have to do with slightly ageing a guitar? Surely when they came up with the term 'VOS' the 'Vintage' bit was ment to refer to the slightly aged appearance and the 'original specification' bit referred to the 50s specs and quality craftsmanship.[/quote']

The thing is that they are still the same historic reissues that they have been making all along. There has been no changes to the craftmanship with the VOS over say an 03 reissue. When the CS decided to make the aged finish their 'standard product' they decided to rename it slightly. As I said, I think their choice of names is a bit misleading, because it does suggest different specs rather than just aging, and that just is not the case. I think the post from the CS forum should put the discussion to rest. Personally I wish they had left aging as the option, as I can age a guitar's hardware in no time with regular playing and no cleaning.

Personally I wish they had left aging as the option' date=' as I can age a guitar's hardware in no time with regular playing and no cleaning.[/quote']

In fact, that's one of the things I like most about long-term ownership. You look at a guitar that you've owned for years and it hits you - man, that thing is aging nicely!

I'm totally with Raptor and Zaphod B, my 1997 '61 RI SG is ageing nicely. The first owner was a bedroom player who polished it after playing. A year of gigging and its looking good erm bad; you know what I mean! I wish I'd had it for the previous 9 years!

ZAPHOD B:

ZAPHOD B.

Sorry. VIntage Original Specifications is not a finish. People say, "VOS" because it stipulates which model type is of issue. Over time the true meaning has simply been corrupted twixt finish and model. Having said that, who gives a crap anymore. This discussion is 3 yrs. old. Lets' let it die and play our guitars.

------------------

Thanks for the snub, George. Nice guy.

ZAPHOD B:

ZAPHOD B.

Sorry. VIntage Original Specifications is not a finish. People say, "VOS" because it stipulates which model type is of issue. Over time the true meaning has simply been corrupted twixt finish and model. Having said that, who gives a crap anymore. This discussion is 3 yrs. old. Lets' let it die and play our guitars.

------------------

Thanks for the snub, George. Nice guy.

who gives a crap anymore. This discussion is 3 yrs. old. Lets' let it die and play our guitar

Agreed...And I'm more confoozed now than I was before . Not that it really mattered that much to me anyway .

Agreed...And I'm more confoozed now than I was before . Not that it really mattered that much to me anyway .

Confoozed?

LessPaul.png

What confused me was the addition of a second toggle switch.

Then I finally figured out that every time I switched it, the lights on the marquee outside

would go out and the toaster would pop up.

Just smile and wave.

ZAPHOD B:

ZAPHOD B.

Sorry. VIntage Original Specifications is not a finish. People say' date=' "VOS" because it stipulates which model type is of issue. Over time the true meaning has simply been corrupted twixt finish and model. Having said that, who gives a crap anymore. This discussion is 3 yrs. old. Lets' let it die and play our guitars.

------------------

Thanks for the snub, George. Nice guy.[/quote']

Not to beat a dead horse - well, a little bit more - but did you see the quote in this thread from the Custom Shop forum administrator verifying that VOS refers to nothing more than a finish?

Custom Forum Admin: "VOS" refers to the finish..."Historic" refers to a line of guitars. Most of our Historic LPs are done in VOS as the standard finish, but we do still make glossy Historics by special order. regardless of the finish, all the other "Historic" specs would be the same in either scenario. "

Here is a link (repeated for your convenience) to that thread: http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1721

Now, since most of the historics come with a VOS finish as the default, you could make an argument that historic = VOS and to be honest I don't think it matters. Just bear in mind that VOS distinguishes aged-finish Historics from non-aged-finish Historics. Otherwise the VOS and non-VOS historics are the same for a given reissue year, from what I gather.

Confoozed?

Well not so much any more . I'm going with the finish theory before my head explodes with to much information .

I just play em not analyze em ...

So much more rewarding wouldn't you agree...

Hell I thought petina was a flower ... [-o<

Glad we got that sorted!

I'm glad to own my R7 Gold Top historic shiney. I'm working on my own patina' date=' as we speak. I don't understand why VOS is such a big deal. I mean, one gig and the nickel on my pups started to dull from acid sweat. The whole relic guitar thing is a bit strange; I mean, none of those guitars will ever become original 'bursts, so why pretend otherwise? They are recreations of something that was made well, back in the day. My LP sounds better than any other that I've owned and sold. That's enough for me. My heroes simply bought a guitar and played it.

Can anyone explain the psychology of making an aged replica of a '59 'burst? Surely the only person you are fooling is yourself? I'm happy to 'shut up and play my guitar'! It's tool after all, isn't it?[/quote']

Agree 1000%

Zaphod:

ZAPHOD:

*USER GUIDE, www. GIBSONCUSTOM. COM, 2006: " All Gibson Custom Shop Instruments are hand crafted of the highest quality materials.

Your Historic Model Gibson 1958 Les Paul Reissue is made of these materials and manufactured to the Vintage Original Specifications of the classic 1958 Les Paul Standard. Your LPR-8 Vintage Original Spec Series also includes a special finish coating to help re-create the mellow appearance and patina of a well cared for vintage instrument. See the CUSTOMER CARE GUIDE for proper care". I prefer my ES-335 in the first first place, so please don't confuse me for Joe Advocate here. It is just, I own one and there is how Gibson originally described the model before the gloss variety was made available. Big yawn for me too! It's time to get into chambering and weight relief now. That is the ultimate subject of frustration to me. Lets' just play'em!

Zaphod:

ZAPHOD:

*USER GUIDE' date=' www. GIBSONCUSTOM. COM, 2006: " All Gibson Custom Shop Instruments are hand crafted of the highest quality materials.

Your Historic Model Gibson 1958 Les Paul Reissue is made of these materials and manufactured to the Vintage Original Specifications of the classic 1958 Les Paul Standard. Your LPR-8 Vintage Original Spec Series also includes a special finish coating to help re-create the mellow appearance and patina of a well cared for vintage instrument. See the CUSTOMER CARE GUIDE for proper care". I prefer my ES-335 in the first first place, so please don't confuse me for Joe Advocate here. It is just, I own one and there is how Gibson originally described the model before the gloss variety was made available. Big yawn for me too! It's time to get into chambering and weight relief now. That is the ultimate subject of frustration to me. Lets' just play'em! [/quote']

I blame Gibson. They need to tell their marketing and copy writers to get their stories straight.

Like you say, let's play!

Archived