Gibson Brands Forums

Need help evaluating second hand Gibson LP

John C

Hello,

I found a pretty nice second hand LP traditional 2018. The description only mentions a scratch on the back, and the pictures seem to confirm that. He also claims all the parts are original.

The question i have is about the nut. It seems odd to me. First of all it looks like the edge toward the headstock is sharp, which i havent seen on some other LPs. The second thing is that the nut appears to be slightly slanted, goes in deeper on the high E side, than the lower E side. Is this normal? Or could the nut be replaced?

Thanks.

195_739792595.jpg

195_954956453.jpg

I reckon that the owner put a Graphtec nut on..  They do that where they taper towards the high E..   This is done to compensate for the string gauge thickness..  If you have a nut with uniform height you would just need to cut the slot a bit deeper to compensate (also its done to try to match the fretboard radius a bit)...  Actually thinking about it more I think Gibson do use Graphtec nuts, at least for some years anyway in which case its normal and factory installed... Cant keep up with what they do anymore.

Like so

3dUx3OV.jpg

Edited by Rabs