Gibson Brands Forums

Which 2020 LP Standard, 50s or 60s?

Buckfish

Hello Buckfish, welcome to the forum.

The choice between the 50's and 60's models are a very personal thing, the best thing you can do is to go and play a few.

The 50's model has lower output pickups (like you'd find on 50's PAF's) and a chunkier neck.

The 60's one has hotter, more modern sounding pickups and a slimmer neck.

My personal choice would be the 50's, but it's not my guitar, it's yours.   

Neck profile would be the biggest consideration.  50s is chunkier neck, 60s is slim taper.  So it depends on how they feel in your hands.  And as Ian mentioned the pickups are different as well, although both types can be made to sound really good.  So what type of music you play is important.  If you use a lot of overdrive and distortion the pickups don't matter as much, but if you play with a clean sound then maybe the 60s model would be better for you.

If you don't mind paying the return shipping costs you could order one of each from Sweetwater, try them both and return the one you like least.  But that could be dangerous as you might want to keep them both!!

Personally, I would go with the '60s version, but they are both great -- you can't go wrong with any type of Les Paul Standard.  You likely have seen the write ups on them, so you know the differences between the guitars.  There is really no opinion here that should sway you on which to get.  Just play them and see which one chooses you.  More importantly, please let us know which you choose, and post some pictures.

Who are your biggest musical influences? I would ask yourself that question and see which Les Paul will best fit their sound.  Also, if you get the chance, try them out and see which one feels more comfortable and sounds better to your ears. 

Edited by ddsax422