Gibson Brands Forums

bodies

SG dude

Let's say then that there's no effect on sound or performance and it's purely an aesthetic consideration. Who would rather look at multiple, glued together pieces of wood when a single slab is obviously more visually appealing

A Les Paul is different because of the curves and arched top. Those tiger burst patterns with the seam down the middle look stunning.

Gibson_Les_Paul_Tom_Murphy_1959.jpg

Let's say then that there's no effect on sound or performance and it's purely an aesthetic consideration.

In that case I'd go with the matched 2 piece because of the symmetry. I think they made my standard with a single block of wood where they sliced and flipped to make the full body. Because of the tiny birds eyes in the grain. You cannot see a seam but the wood is symmetrical and looks freaking awesome.

My special faded on the other hand is just a single slab, pretty nondescript. Although it is a pretty guitar it's not nearly as pretty as the two piece standard.

My '79 "The SG" is 4 pieces of Walnut.

Norlin.

Velvet Brick.

Should be a piece of junk.

It'll rattle your fillings unplugged. It vibrates it's own pickups unplugged.

While it's my #2 now, it was my #1 during the DOUBLE AUGHT days, and is always by my side. Other than looks, I don't think it makes a bit of difference in tone, or sustain. I have to go back to the opinion that a GREAT guitar is just a great guitar. Everything just comes together. What they LOOK like is secondary....

To me................

Best of luck.

Murph.

I will agree that 2 matched pieces can look better than a single slab but what I find amazing at Gibson prices is that all of a given model are not made the same.

Lets assume for a second that there is a quality/price difference between single and multiple piece bodies even if there is no tonal difference.

At what point is it right/fair to charge two customers the same price for guitars with completely different values in their raw materials?

I will agree that 2 matched pieces can look better than a single slab but what I find amazing at Gibson prices is that all of a given model are not made the same.

Lets assume for a second that there is a quality/price difference between single and multiple piece bodies even if there is no tonal difference.

At what point is it right/fair to charge two customers the same price for guitars with completely different values in their raw materials?

Yeah, that's actually kind of a valid point there, and would be worth an answer from up-top. And I still haven't gotten that email from Gibson's R&D guys yet...lol

H-Bomb

Let's say then that there's no effect on sound or performance and it's purely an aesthetic consideration. Who would rather look at multiple' date=' glued together pieces of wood when a single slab is obviously more visually appealing

A Les Paul is different because of the curves and arched top. Those tiger burst patterns with the seam down the middle look stunning.

[img']http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp53/neogeoriffic/Gibson_Les_Paul_Tom_Murphy_1959.jpg[/img]

1 piece would be more appealing,looks wise.Then again,many people can't tell the difference.I have seen quite a bit of people say there sg faded is 1 piece and I can tell its more than that.So in some cases people really can't tell and in some its difficult to tell.Some are very easy to see.

When mahogany is paste filled before painting, multi piece bodies are often given a little effort to conceal joint lines.

Sometimes it is hard to see.

Single piece is always gonna be more sought-after, even if the sound difference is hard to quantify.

My SG 12 string is very obviously three pieces, as were most SG's until you go WAY back in years.

My 2006 SG classic was too, but it was tough to tell.

My SG 61 is a single piece, which is partly how Gibson justifies the higher price on them.

Ready to get blown away?

How about an EDS-1275 double neck with a one piece body?

I never knew that made such a beast until mine arrived from the Custom Shop. Nice surprise, I tell ya.

3374000163_f2cab380a2.jpg?v=0

Archived