Gibson Brands Forums

bodies

SG dude

My standard is a two piece, can only tell by checking the bottom edge, the grain meets at a V. It's beautifully matched and has a few tiny birds eyes which I really dig. It sounds great. My special is a single piece, the grain is attractive but not as nice as the standard. It also sounds great. I like the standard better, feel and aesthetically but to be honest I don't think it makes any difference.

Looks wise' date=' I like the look of one-piece bodies. Not that I'd ever turn one down because it was a two-piece.

My old SG Standard was a two-piece and it was just great.[/quote']

2 pieces are great and all, but i'm a lover of the vintage (OLD, not the corporate fake bullsh!t that they have now ) look, in which all the 68's, i believe , or rather that i've seen, where all one piece bodies. plus i've been known to be a perfectionist.

The only drawback to the multi piece bodies is that sometimes the joint edges show through the finish as a slight line, that is usually only noticable when viewed at an angle that shows a variation in the reflected light.

Tone wise, and strength wise, I doubt there is any difference at all.

The only drawback to the multi piece bodies is that sometimes the joint edges show through the finish as a slight line' date=' that is usually only noticable when viewed at an angle that shows a variation in the reflected light.

[/quote']

Yes, that is due to the pieces expanding and contracting at different rates due to temperature, humidity and time.

It's not noticeable on my SG body, but on the headstock (no veneer), they are visible.

You'd think a 1 piece would be better,but I have heard multiple piece bodies which sound much better than 1 piece bodies.I talked to Gibson customer service on this while back.They said that the 1 piece vs multiple piece doesn't affect the tone whatsoever.Its purely cosmetic as in some case or some people prefer the look of 1 piece vs multiple pieces.

As long as it looks and sounds ok,I am not all that concerned about it.I have a guitar with a one pice and another which has 4.

Archived