Gibson Brands Forums

One-off Custom Les Paul Value?

The Convert

I picked up a custom one-off Les Paul a while back and love it, but of course I'm curious as to its value.

I've already worked with Gibson CS, and it is legit. It was a single custom instrument built to a customer's specifications.

It has a beautifully figured neck and ebony board with no binding. The body is bound mahogany and is quite heavy--probably no weight relief. The bridge pickup is a P100 and the neck is a P90. There is a single push-pull switch that taps (yes taps, not splits). It has all chrome hardware.

The top isn't flamed, and the stain is sort of a greenish/brownish/grey. (I call it "swamp thing".)

There's not much wear for a guitar pushing 10 years. The feel is great and the P100 gives a rare dark growl when driven.

Anyways, knowing to start that this is an odd duck and would need the right buyer, I'm guessing I'd not be able to get anything near the many thousands it must have cost to make.

Still, the curiosity lingers. What do you think?

Thanks much!

IMG_2534.jpeg

If you find the right buyer that really wants the features of this guitar you might get a lot.  But a brand new Les Paul with P-90s and Gold top retails about $2500 (street price a little less) so I don't think you'd get much more than that?  The fact that it is one of one adds some value, but the weird color, and no neck binding just don't make it that attractive.  Plus the pickups are non-standard and people are either going to love them or hate them.  As long as you love it and enjoy playing that's the important thing.  As an investment guitar and I don't think it's going to shoot up in value.

I agree with trying a listing at some price you set initially.  Just do the best research you can - as you're doing.  When you acquired the guitar, how much did you pay - if you didn't inherit it or something like that?  Try to see what else is out there like the guitar as unique as it is...  Reverb is a good place to browse through.  Hopefully it will educate you a bit as to what's out there and how much things like your guitar is calling for on the market. 

Generally I'd agree being that the guitar is a custom job like that, it's going to cost more to make that so selling it shouldn't fetch the money that bought it brand new.  I think $2500 is a little low but if you have things like the case and COAs, etc. that helps a sale sometimes... 

Good luck man, be patient and you'll figure it all out.  Learn about what you have as much as possible and come to a price in your mind you have to meet to make you feel good about parting with the guitar forever.