Gibson Brands Forums

"Imagination"

BluesKing777

Thanks JZ and Nick!

Yes, Happy New Year......1.30pm New Years Day here....12 hours ahead.....

So, the track has quite a few clangers, but I posted it for the New Year Resolutioners because I was playing while reading the sheet music, and there could be someone who reads this and thinks their Resolution could be to find out a bit more about the ‘Dots’.

I probably should have played the tune on something a bit easier than the Gibson J50! But I had a bee in the bonnet about playing the J50 but playing in Eb tuned down 2 to sound like Db was a bit ambitious......But there isn’t much easy stuff in the Real Book, which is a book of music charts of music standards, usually used by jazzers as a memory jog - the main part of a song is there so they don’t need to actually ‘know’ the song to play in the band.......it has the chord chart and the melody for music readers, probably sax, trumpet etc play the melody part, piano and bass follow the chord part and then people play improvised solos over the backing.

So that was the approach I took above. I read it and played it but I haven’t memorised it! I couldn’t play it without the sheet music!

For the people wanting to learn some music notes, New Year Resolution!, to play like I did the areas I covered above include chords, melody, music sight reading plus a bit of recording. I fingerpick everything I do. 

I am so glad I learned to play off sheet music and maybe some others will have a go. It doesn’t have to be jazz, can be anything.

My good deed for New Year is done....going to have a granny nap.

BluesKing777.

Thanks Chas, RB and KC!

Some more on the Real Book charts.....the chords are written above the lyrics but you don’t get a chord diagram like some books/sheets...you play a version of the chord you know or...have a decent chord book handy.

You can play just the chords and someone else can play or sing the melody, or record the chords and play it back to sing/play over.

BluesKing777.