Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Standard Color/Burst

ddsax422

Well if you are picking by looking at a web site to buy online then just get the one you like the most.. 

If you are going out to try them, the colour should be of secondary concern to the playability which is far far more important as each guitar is slightly different.

I actually had this issue when I went and bought a 60s Tribute Studio.. I like most of the colours and didnt know which one to get... I must have tried about eight of them in a row.. The very last one I tried was a goldtop. Never really wanted a goldtop before that but something about it instantly stood out to me on the first strum after playing all the others first.. Was instant love  🙂  And I now love goldtops.

The color has to be determined by the predominant color of your wardrobe.  If you normally wear a lot of black then a red or sunburst is the way to go.  If you usually wear brown, then a lemonburst, ice tea or honeyburst will go better.  You want the guitar to stand out against your shirt and/or pants.  😜

• Like 1

Hey all, I have a question about this. 

when will Gibson USA bring out more OG colours for the Les Paul Standard. 

Am I missing something? Or is the selection on LP standard colours not very large? And just Bursts?

I have a LP Premium Plus Classic from 05 and I remember back then there was almost every colour available on standards and classics but now there isn’t such a huge variety.  Unless you go custom shop. 

Just interested if there is any info on Gibson USA opening up the colour variety or if I have missed something already, if so, sorry for this post hahaha 

All the best! 

9 hours ago, ChazzRobbo said:

Am I missing something? Or is the selection on LP standard colours not very large? And just Bursts?

I have a LP Premium Plus Classic from 05 and I remember back then there was almost every colour available on standards and classics but now there isn’t such a huge variety.  Unless you go custom shop. 

Just interested if there is any info on Gibson USA opening up the colour variety or if I have missed something already, if so, sorry for this post hahaha 

All the best! 

My guess is, in due time. They've only just started to make change for the better IMO. 

Psst - 1984 Explorer re-issue, please. $1k, tops. 

Edited by Pinch

9 hours ago, ChazzRobbo said:

All the best! 

Well they have two lines.. The traditional and the modern..  The traditional models I guess its not just that they are more like the originals in spec but the colours too... If you look at the LP moderns you will see, well a couple more modern colour options 🙂 

Gibson | Modern Collection

Maybe you want a Kramer? 😄 

Kramer | Original Collection (kramerguitars.com)

Edited by Rabs

Part of the reason that the lineup today - which I feel is better - is because there aren’t all these wacky colored things out there with the Gibson name in it that resembles a LP. A lot of people who spend big bucks in a LP are looking for a reissue of the 50s and 68s, not a blue burst... JC sort of fixed this with an lineup that is less confusing. Under Henry, say one year, the Trad was what the Classic should be and vise versa the next year. They were making all sorts of stupid models like the Moderne and crap like that. But anyhow that’s why we got what we got today. I personally could own several reissues with practically the same finish and be happy with that. To each and to their own. Call me a purist haha!

Edited by NighthawkChris

I totally get what you’re saying, I just find it odd that  the standard and the classic ranges haven’t got all the colours included. I’d love a black Les Paul standard. I don’t really want a Les Paul classic in ebony with all the push pull stuff which isn’t classic at all! I’d rather like everyone else, buy a Les Paul standard from Gibson USA in the standard colours, with the standard configuration with no clever technology and just ready to plug in and play. I don’t want any fancy pots or electronics, without having to buy it, change it myself, and then have what I want. I think the standard and classics should be just that...  Standard and classic. 

I love Gibson I think they are the best guitars in the world but as far as I’m concerned what they did years ago was what they should be doing still. By all means have the wacky crazy inventive section of Gibson guitars with all this mental tech but just leave the standard and classic to the way they were. I also love the Customshop but not everyone can afford a R8 or an R9 and they go to Gibson USA because it should be exactly that. Decent quality and variety at an almost affordable price! 

if that makes sense?

Gibson for life! 

13 hours ago, ChazzRobbo said:

I totally get what you’re saying, I just find it odd that  the standard and the classic ranges haven’t got all the colours included. I’d love a black Les Paul standard. I don’t really want a Les Paul classic in ebony with all the push pull stuff which isn’t classic at all! I’d rather like everyone else, buy a Les Paul standard from Gibson USA in the standard colours, with the standard configuration with no clever technology and just ready to plug in and play. I don’t want any fancy pots or electronics, without having to buy it, change it myself, and then have what I want. I think the standard and classics should be just that...  Standard and classic. 

I love Gibson I think they are the best guitars in the world but as far as I’m concerned what they did years ago was what they should be doing still. By all means have the wacky crazy inventive section of Gibson guitars with all this mental tech but just leave the standard and classic to the way they were. I also love the Customshop but not everyone can afford a R8 or an R9 and they go to Gibson USA because it should be exactly that. Decent quality and variety at an almost affordable price! 

if that makes sense?

Gibson for life! 

Well Gibson are kind of stuck in the middle...

When they produce classic models and thats all they do they get called boring..   When they try to innovate and do more modern stuff people cry out, thats not a real Gibson I want something traditional.....

Up until the new management took over Gibson would do the yearly model release thing and it made the line up over complex with constant changes all the time...  And people (shock horror) wernt happy with that either.  

So the new management decided to strip things back and no longer have this yearly model release and just stick to doing what they do best with a few extra modern options.. Which is where we are currently at..

Its a tough thing when you have a company with such a history and it seems people will damn them what ever they do....

There are many examples of mad coloured Les Pauls over the last decade or two..  So maybe find an old one?

This is one of mine from 2010..  

hTm17sE.jpg

Edited by Rabs

After some very questionable decisions in the past, not just with colour schemes but guitars in general I think Gibson really are trying to go back to basics and tradition. The 50's and 60's Standards are non weight relief which they are making a big deal about and they don't have push/pull controls either because they wouldn't have had those back then. 

I remember the colours they came out with a few years back, there was one scheme that was supposed to look like a starry night or something, it actually looked like someone laid the Les Paul on the floor and used it as a drip mat while painting the ceiling, just little specks of white all over it. 

So I am happy to have traditional colours. 

I for one don’t want to knock anyone’s guitar if they like it. But if you’re a guitar maker and you make stuff people aren’t going to buy for thousands of dollars, then that’s not advisable. Like all the guitars @Rabs kindly shared with us featuring neon LP Customs with Floyds... come on. 

And if Gibson wanted a LP shred guitar, ok give me better upper fret access with 24 stainless steel frets. Also make the radius compound... well I can get all that for a fraction of the price of a weird LP Custom that glows in the dark. Just my opinion though...

Overall lineup much more simple and not a guessing game every year what the Standard is going to be like. Let Gibson make innovative guitars - fine with that - but don’t do stupid things to the bulk of the guitars in the expected lineup we want to be more like the sought after 50s and 60s models. Don’t flip around features that should be in the Trad and put them on the Classic repeatedly... Don’t make smurf bursts... Just make good guitars with no funny business. I believe that’s what is happening with JC.