Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-200M

craigpj

I'm looking for any knowledge/insight you all can give into the Gibson J-200M series.

Best I can tell, Gibson only makes these guitars every few years and in limited runs.

My local music store has a 1991 Gibson J-200M. Spruce top. Maple neck. Flamed koa back and sides.

I've searched online and cannot find another like it. What can you tell me about 1990s and J-200M's?

Is this guitar one of a kind?

A quick look shows Gibson produced a run of 200 J200 Koas in 1991.  Nothing with an  "M" series designation though.   I have seen J200M guitars but only those built in the  2000s. What the "M" means I do not have a clue.   First thing I would do though is check to see if the store has their info right.

There's a J-200M listed on Reverb with the following description

Gibson Custom Shop J-200M 75th Anniversary Trophy. Vintage Sunburst finish. Limited Edition made in 2012 to commemorate the 75 anniversary of the SJ-200 originally released in 1937. The J-200M (M signifies mini body.) features all the deluxe appointments you’d see on a top of the line Gibson Custom Shop SJ-200 in a smaller body size. Made for one year and out of production. This example is Vintage Sunburst. Gibson charges extra $200 for sunburst finish as per their website.

https://reverb.com/item/37180960-gibson-j-200m-trophy-75th-anniversary-custom-shop-limited-edition-quilt-maple-vintage-sunburst