Gibson Brands Forums

Any guesses what kind of Gibson this is? LG-1?

Kid B

Hey guys, I'm considering purchasing this Gibson. The buyer knows nothing about it and we haven't discussed the price, but I assume it will be a good deal. Any guesses as to what kind of Gibson this is? My guess is an LG-1. 

Going to check it out tomorrow. Once I have it in my hands,  what is a good way to know specifically what kind it is? Also, what do you think would be a "good" deal for this guitar assuming it's in good shape (as the seller says it is).

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 2.24.13 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 2.23.33 PM.jpg

• Kid B changed the title to Any guesses what kind of Gibson this is? LG-1?

Yep. V right below the sound hole would be X. Might even be stamped LG1 on the back strip. Check string and saddle height too. A reset is a few hundred bucks, so if the strings are higher than a couple mm's at the 1st to higher than 1/8" at around the 10th fret on an otherwise straight neck, it might be tough on the fret hand.

A thousand bucks could be a little high if the action is also.

Edited by jedzep

5 minutes ago, Kid B said:

Thanks y'all. When I get it in my hands, what's the best way to tell? Just look for L-brace (LG-1) or x-brace (LG-2)?

Yes. The brace just below the soundhole, towards the bridge, will either run straight across the body parallel to the bridge, or will be X-shaped with the center of the X just below the soundhole.

2 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

It's a 1957-1961. If it's an LG-1, it's about $2500. If it's an LG-2, about $3500. There's no way to tell from these photos.

With that pickguard it could be a 1956 as well.  But that price range for a  mid- to late-1950s LG1 would be rather high.

Edited by zombywoof

5 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

$2500 is more of a "mint condition" price, but a late 50s LG-1 in good condition is not an $800 guitar. $800 gets you one with no bridge or extra holes in the top. $1500 gets one with reasonable repairs.

Based on personal experience of ones I've owned and sold, I'll stick with my posted numbers. 

16 hours ago, j45nick said:

Unless it is an LG-2 that the centerline back  strip has fallen out of. I've seen that before.

I have actually never run across that.  The only LG2 I have seen without a backstrip was a very early Banner and that was by design because as far as I have been able to figure out the first run of all Banner models for whatever reason did not have back strips.  But as the strip (while I do not know about the smaller LG2 it was installed in two pieces on the 16" and 17" flatops) is held down by the back braces I would think it woud have to be intentionally removed.  

Edited by zombywoof

33 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I have actually never run across that.  The only LG2 I have seen without a backstrip was a very early Banner and that was by design because as far as I have been able to figure out the first run of all Banner models for whatever reason did not have back strips.  But as the strip (while I do not know about the smaller LG2 it was installed in two pieces on the 16" and 17" flatops) is held down by the back braces I would think it woud have to be intentionally removed.  

Here’s my x braced ‘42 Banner LG1 

42 LG1

Update: I did not purchase the guitar (turned out to be a 40's-era LG-1) even though it was a steal at $250. There was a big crack down the face that ran along the neck, pick guard, and all the way to the bottom of the guitar. Also the seam in the back was cracked from top to bottom. 

Edited by Kid B

All fixable, but that notorious shrinking pick guard crack appears on many with this large guard. Some just remove it and get a copy to put back on, as most don't weather the removal well.

Good deal for a beater or slide player.

Edited by jedzep

1 hour ago, Kid B said:

Update: I did not purchase the guitar (turned out to be a 40's-era LG-1) even though it was a steal at $250. There was a big crack down the face that ran along the neck, pick guard, and all the way to the bottom of the guitar. Also the seam in the back was cracked from top to bottom. 

Are you talking about the guitar in the photo?  Because if you are no way that is a 1940s Gibson anything. 

But I agree with  jedzep, I would lay out $250 for the guitar in the photo in a heartbeat.   The only cracks which wave a big red flag in my face are those extending from the bottom outer  edges of the fingerboard to the soundhole because that could indicate a neck reset is needed which in my neck of the woods runs $350 alone.    

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, Kid B said:

It has a 20-fret neck, a bridge with a drop-in saddle, and a pickguard from 1954 or later. The guitar in the pictures is not from the 1940s. My guess is mid 1950s at the earliest.