Gibson Brands Forums

NOGD! 2007 Martin 000-28EC - Warning: Martin Content!

BluesKing777

On my 37 L-0, my luthier put a gold blocky 50s Gibson logo on after putting a headplate of ebony on the headstock to cover previous holes. He most definitely said it was a 'sticker' and he didn't 'have' a white Gibson one. Don't give a rats as the guitar is nowhere near original after previous owners and...now me....

But I just took the guitar out in the light for a good look at the sticker and it is very good, no plastic overhand remaining or anything 'cheapo', looks good, feels good - a bit raised - it can stay!

Before was a mess - some one did a bit of home fixin' 😁:

ShtsEnmh.jpg

Now (he dig all that stuff out and put some filler):

5JzWMrkh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Those Imgur links ain't right BK. They go back to the topic and don't show the fix.
I don't mind using a logo substitute if I can't get authentic. Just happen to have access.
Waterslides are pretty easy to conceal with multi- layers of lacquer.

Edited by jedzep

1 hour ago, jedzep said:

Those Imgur links ain't right BK. They go back to the topic and don't show the fix.
I don't mind using a logo substitute if I can't get authentic. Just happen to have access.
Waterslides are pretty easy to conceal with multi- layers of lacquer.

Photos copied from another forum! Cut and paste to a posting and then copy photo and paste here - works but I don't know what is going on! Can't see keeping on doing that....

BluesKing777.

OK, here is a recording of the EC I just did playing a medley from my 'winery gig' style (imaginary) - it could be far safer to play at a couple of the wineries I drive past than...driving past as they leave! (belting down a wonderful country road and the wine tasters drive straight out in front of you!)

Tune was worth it for the harmonic that won't end at the ...end!

(tracks seem to post better than pics, though I use to just get a 'link' instead of the whole soundcloud pic etc!)

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

More intricate finger picking mastery, BK. Much appreciated.

That 'winery' style of music is a funny genre, as you may hear snippets of songs you recognize, interspersed with the looping riffs heard on the stuff my hospital's 'on hold' line plays.  I picture myself looking over the tall goblets of Cotes du Rhone at my waay younger date, wondering if that smokey-eyed look she's casting my way is for me or for the waay younger brown-eyed handsome man sitting directly behind me. I fear I may know the answer to my own question.

I wonder if it's your setup or my (pretty good)  sound system subwoofer EQ settings, but the bass usually hangs heavy and thick in your 'mood' music repertoires. Maybe it's that you aren't using picks. The only way I can compare is to pick my OM E and A strings next to your recording to compare. Live, my bass sounds deep but thinner.

I'm going to spend some time this year figuring out how I could record some tunes w/vocal, minimally equipped, to get a realistic (as my ear hears it in my LR) sounding result. What would you use as your most simplified bare bones recording tool set-up for non-pickup acoustic guitar? Sorry if you've answered this a thousand times already. I know you regularly document your setup when you put clips out.  I would shop a decent simple rig if it didn't cost too much. My choices here now are either a small amped room using two PG 58s played to my Zoom H2 condenser mic setup, direct Zoom microphone (pretty good), iPad, or half decent desktop mic/cam. Pretty lame, but I have clips that playback with decent full fidelity.

Late this summer my life could get a break after some minor surgery, so I'll try and cob together a recording tool that's consistently realistic sounding, always ready to go with a flick of an on switch. Gotta' catch things when my playing skills are awake.

Anyway, your playing inspires playing, always a good virus to get.

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You guys know I love me a Martin, but I have just never been a fan of anything they do but a natural top. Of course if it sounds like dream I could over look it.

Chief,

I agree completely.

And this goes for Gibsons as well. 

I'm very happy with my 2001 j-45 standard, but I wish it had a naturally finished top (j-50?).

In all aesthetic respects, I like my guitars plain.

RBSinTo

2 hours ago, jedzep said:

More intricate finger picking mastery, BK. Much appreciated.

That 'winery' style of music is a funny genre, as you may hear snippets of songs you recognize, interspersed with the looping riffs heard on the stuff my hospital's 'on hold' line plays.  I picture myself looking over the tall goblets of Cotes du Rhone at my waay younger date, wondering if that smokey-eyed look she's casting my way is for me or for the waay younger brown-eyed handsome man sitting directly behind me. I fear I may know the answer to my own question.

I wonder if it's your setup or my (pretty good)  sound system subwoofer EQ settings, but the bass usually hangs heavy and thick in your 'mood' music repertoires. Maybe it's that you aren't using picks. The only way I can compare is to pick my OM E and A strings next to your recording to compare. Live, my bass sounds deep but thinner.

I'm going to spend some time this year figuring out how I could record some tunes w/vocal, minimally equipped, to get a realistic (as my ear hears it in my LR) sounding result. What would you use as your most simplified bare bones recording tool set-up for non-pickup acoustic guitar? Sorry if you've answered this a thousand times already. I know you regularly document your setup when you put clips out.  I would shop a decent simple rig if it didn't cost too much. My choices here now are either a small amped room using two PG 58s played to my Zoom H2 condenser mic setup, direct Zoom microphone (pretty good), iPad, or half decent desktop mic/cam. Pretty lame, but I have clips that playback with decent full fidelity.

Late this summer my life could get a break after some minor surgery, so I'll try and cob together a recording tool that's consistently realistic sounding, always ready to go with a flick of an on switch. Gotta' catch things when my playing skills are awake.

Anyway, your playing inspires playing, always a good virus to get.

Well, stick with me and I will make you a star......and you can impress the babe with a slick recording.....😀

KISS principle......recording just your guitar and voice doesn’t need much these days. I just run my Neumann KM184 mic to a 4 track Allen & Heath mixer with included reverb/delay. The mixer has a USB out that plugs direct to my computer and I record on the included Garageband software. I find it best to spend on a good mic to capture better quality than chase it on the computer. I don’t do a thing - what you hear is what I recorded, just fine for the forum/internet.

So for JZ to start with acoustic guitar/vocal, Doc BK777 suggests buying:

1 Shure SM57 or 58.

1 mic stand with boom arm.

1 Allen and Heath Z60-10FX mixer. It may seem a bit like overkill, but it saves buying computer music interfaces by running the usb out and the effects on the mixer for simple stuff is pretty set and forget. (they have smaller models but they don’t have BOTH effects and USB.

Then place mic approx halfway between your mouth and the guitar back a way - grab your vocal and guitar on 1 track once you have moved the mic up and down to get a ‘balance’. This method saves having to mix 2 or more tracks. You have the ‘end result’ coming out of the mixer! The experts would die with their leg in the air, but KISS.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Thanks. I'll look at the mixer and Neumann when the prez sends me my $1400 COVID cheese Why the Shure if I have the high end microphone? Got everything else.

Don't quite understand the KISS or earlier Curly reference.

OK...forget the KM184. 200 bucks more and I could have a nice used 000-18. Plan B?

Saw a couple Molly Tuttle lessons/demos where sound was VG using PG57s.

Edited by jedzep

21 minutes ago, jedzep said:

OK...forget the KM184. 200 bucks more and I could have a nice used 000-18. Plan B?

I had 5 (now there are only 3 on my watch list, 2 got snagged), 00 and 000-18's I'm watching on Reverb and when the money comes in I am making an offer that day on one. I really want a 00 since I own a 000-28. So I have little bit smaller body.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

41 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Thanks. I'll look at the mixer and Neumann when the prez sends me my $1400 COVID cheese Why the Shure if I have the high end microphone? Got everything else.

Don't quite understand the KISS or earlier Curly reference.

Saw a couple Molly Tuttle lessons/demos where sound was VG using PG57s.

KISS is ‘keep it simple, stupid’.......

Shure SM57/58 are industry standards, not a huge amount ....and will sound great run to the A&H mixer which has very nice preamps.

So SM58, mic stand with boom, mixer with effects and USB....pretty simple. Saved you the bucks for the Neumann, useless to you until you practice with the SM58 a fair bit!

BluesKing777.

9 hours ago, jedzep said:

Can hardly put my 0018 down, Sarge.

Glad you liking it! Your fault getting that thing that started me off and ended with something different! - EC! But then I decided I would be better with the older Vintage series 00-18V, none here! Enter the used 2007 EC!

The shop I got it from has a Bird with birds! (no guard). Looks peculiar.

Thanks the Guitar Gods the acoustic shop here just sold the new 000-18 - I was gonna go try it while getting strings, to see if I like the MLO neck - you know, in case I get more money in the Guitar Fund and a 00 turns up. I am surprised that the CEO 7 has been there a WEEK and nobody bought it yet. I was going to compare the Mod V of the CEO7 to the 000-18.

Still no new LG2s at the same shop - don't think they are coming! (It would be great to compare the CEO7, the 00-18 and the new 'necked' LG2 50s/LG2 Banner reissues). 

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

25 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Glad you liking it! Your fault getting that thing that started me off and ended with something different! - EC! But then I decided I would be better with the older Vintage series 00-18V, none here! Enter the used 2007 EC! The shop I got it from has a Bird with birds! (no guard). Looks peculiar.

Thanks the Guitar Gods the acoustic shop here just sold the new 000-18 - I was gonna go try it while getting strings, to see if I like the MLO neck - you know, in case I get more money in the Guitar Fund and a 00 turns up. I am surprised that the CEO 7 has been there a WEEK and nobody bought it yet. I was going to compare the Mod V of the CEO7 to the 000-18.

Still no new LG2s at the same shop - don't think they are coming! (It would be great to compare the CEO7, the 00-18 and the new 'necked' LG2 50s/LG2 Banner reissues). 

BluesKing777.

Likewise. A month ago I was sizing up a reduction in what I describe to 'concerned' family members as my savings account, but after talking to you I'm wondering where the CEO might fit in to my L00/0018 equation. I've already abandoned my LG2 desires, finding them built a little heavily for my liking, but if the CEO isn't tonally redundant to anything in my group it could, down the line, fill in a blank if I push out my pre-T '92 D-16H, which is basically a D18, but better sounding than the two 60's models I owned. Dreads too big anymore.

I'm loving the more reclusive demands of the times, work alone on-site, and don't crave outside social activities...never have, and it's been good for increasing playing time, but I have to be careful about buying another. It could be like chum in shark infested water. Lot of good price negotiation opportunities out there on Reverb and Ebay.

Edited by jedzep

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

Glad you liking it! Your fault getting that thing that started me off and ended with something different! - EC! But then I decided I would be better with the older Vintage series 00-18V, none here! Enter the used 2007 EC!

The shop I got it from has a Bird with birds! (no guard). Looks peculiar.

BluesKing777.

All mine have the MLO neck and some hate them . I love 'em. I have played a few with the  V neck and it feels so strange, but I would rock one if the right price came along. 

Warning and  a word of caution before buying a Mod V neck...

Look up the forums and 'Mod V Neck' threads - if you are not used to them,fingerpickers love them - the neck feels like it has twice as much wood as the MLO with a big crease down the middle that WILL hurt the inside of your index finger joint, and once hurt, it may never recover!

So try before buy.

BluesKing777.

7 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Here is the culprit - known to make grown men cry - the Martin Mod V.

I big chunk of wood!

(and hush my mouth....I actually prefer the big V neck of my Waterloos/30s Gibsons......🥶)

UPqkNTXh.jpg

BluesKing777.

The V-neck on my Martin 000-28 EC is a slightly slimmed down version of the late-1930s V-neck on my L-OO Legend, with the same nut width of 1.75" (44.5mm). String spacing at the bridge on the EC is 2 1/4" (57.2mm), and  a whopping 2 3/8"  (60.3mm) on the L-OO.

The Legend's V is carried almost the full length of the neck, while the EC's V is much softer, so that the neck is fairly close to round with only a hint of V by the time you get to the first position.

The 30s V on the L-OO is a handful, but is really good for fingerpicking, especially with the wide string spacing at the bridge.

I've been moving between  my 1950 J-45 (nut just over 1 11/16 at 1.70" or 43.2mm), the EC, and the L-OO quite a bit recently. It takes a bit of hand adjustment to switch between them. I like the J-45 for flat-picking, the others for fingerpicking.

The 1950 J-45 has that classic full round neck profile you associate with post-war Gibsons up to around 1955 or so, but it is no match in sheer mass to the 30s V-neck. The EC is somewhere between, but the feel is quite different from either Gibson.

I assume the HD-28V has a neck similar to the EC. I would be curious to know how that neck compares to the one on the 1937 D-28 Authentic, if anyone has played that one. That Authentic has been lurking in the back of my mind for some time, since vintage is out of the question when it comes to the D-28.

54 minutes ago, j45nick said:

That Authentic has been lurking in the back of my mind for some time, since vintage is out of the question when it comes to the D-28.

One day all my guitars will be vintage. I played a D-18GE (Golden Era) and that thing was one of the best sounding 18's I ever played. It was $700 more than a standard 18, so I went home with that, a standard.

I've only seen the D-28 Authentic's behind glass at GC and was not in the mood to get the helpful sales associates to unlock it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

The V-neck on my Martin 000-28 EC is a slightly slimmed down version of the late-1930s V-neck on my L-OO Legend, with the same nut width of 1.75" (44.5mm). String spacing at the bridge on the EC is 2 1/4" (57.2mm), and  a whopping 2 3/8"  (60.3mm) on the L-OO.

The Legend's V is carried almost the full length of the neck, while the EC's V is much softer, so that the neck is fairly close to round with only a hint of V by the time you get to the first position.

The 30s V on the L-OO is a handful, but is really good for fingerpicking, especially with the wide string spacing at the bridge.

I've been moving between  my 1950 J-45 (nut just over 1 11/16 at 1.70" or 43.2mm), the EC, and the L-OO quite a bit recently. It takes a bit of hand adjustment to switch between them. I like the J-45 for flat-picking, the others for fingerpicking.

The 1950 J-45 has that classic full round neck profile you associate with post-war Gibsons up to around 1955 or so, but it is no match in sheer mass to the 30s V-neck. The EC is somewhere between, but the feel is quite different from either Gibson.

I assume the HD-28V has a neck similar to the EC. I would be curious to know how that neck compares to the one on the 1937 D-28 Authentic, if anyone has played that one. That Authentic has been lurking in the back of my mind for some time, since vintage is out of the question when it comes to the D-28.

I own the HD28V and played a few 37 Authentics, including the Aged version.......wonderful but expensive guitar (here). A lot of forumites complain the neck is not like most real 37s......too thin at the nut end, too wide at the 12.

The HD28V has a 1 11/16” nut with a Mod V...(I capo up a bit for room). Great sounding guitar got even better with 15 years on the clock! But keep in mind the Vintage series was created long before the Authentics and it is said the Authentic is a D28 on steroids. 1 3/4” nut.

While you are trying them out, Nick, please try a CEO7 so you can tell us your impression. It is L-00 size, fits in the same case, but is a slope shoulder 00 adi top with mod V and 1 3/4” nut - 2 5/16” bridge but...it is a Martin in a Gibson shape that sounds like a Martin with a touch of Gibson. I love it! And it is not one thing like my L-00s............similar neck to the EC and playing next to your L-00 will do your head in!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777