Gibson Brands Forums

USA Firebird being discontinued?

Coachmoe

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Custom Shop models are the new USA ones.

I don't know if you are serious or not, but but no, they are not the new USA models.  But as I said earlier the Custom Shop is becoming more of a production line for Gibson.  There are still new USA Firebird models.  Except you can't get one right now.

11 hours ago, Wmachine said:

I don't know if you are serious or not, but but no, they are not the new USA models.  But as I said earlier the Custom Shop is becoming more of a production line for Gibson.  There are still new USA Firebird models.  Except you can't get one right now.

It’s a joke, but if they are the only new ones you can buy, then that’s it.

I'm not a fan of epi, let alone an epi bird. The epi bird insnt even neck through. It doesnt play the same or feel the same when ampped. In my view, that will set it apart from any other. Kinda anoyed seeing a firebird CS w set neck.

I'm old school. I rate solid guitars by neck design w exeptions. Bolt on, set, and neck through as being best, for me. The feel/physical resonance if you will, at volume is like nothing else. 

The info I got from gibson was via email. Not high up the pecking order at all. They said I couldnt reserve one, the $1900 model, and that it wasnt set in stone that it wont be produced again.

Really sad. Been trying to get into a real bird that wont break my bank for a long time.

57 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

I'm not a fan of epi, let alone an epi bird. The epi bird insnt even neck through. It doesnt play the same or feel the same when ampped. In my view, that will set it apart from any other. Kinda anoyed seeing a firebird CS w set neck.

The current IBG Epiphone firebirds ARE NECK THROUGH construction.

The info I got from gibson was via email. Not high up the pecking order at all. They said I couldnt reserve one, the $1900 model, and that it wasnt set in stone that it wont be produced again.

This aligns with what Mat Kohler said back when I questioned him about the USA Firebirds being discontinued. They would go away for a couple of years but they would return.

Pic is my 2020 Epic IBG Firebird that I had refinished.

image000001.jpg

Edited by Coachmoe
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Aright. I pulled the trigger. Hope I'm not disappointed. Having it shipped in a case that I purchased for it as well. 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Epiphone-Firebird-Solidbody-Electric.gc

Crow, I've had two of those Epi's. IMHO, best bang for the buck out there. Real CTS pots, orange drops. Only complaint I had was why did they cheap out on the switch and jack? I replaced mine with Switchcraft ones and it's good to go! 

11 hours ago, Coachmoe said:

Crow, I've had two of those Epi's. IMHO, best bang for the buck out there. Real CTS pots, orange drops. Only complaint I had was why did they cheap out on the switch and jack? I replaced mine with Switchcraft ones and it's good to go! 

".....why did they cheap out on the switch and jack?"

Because its chineezzz?

Seriously tho,

Ty for the heads up, but,

Havent met an epi toggle that didnt fail. Not that I've *owned a lot of epi's. Reputation/experience there precedes it. I have a switchcraft coming as well.

And yup! 1/3 the price of a gibby.

Got gibby's case though,

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Firebird-Original-Hardshell-Case.gc

------

Edit,

Back order till Jan 12. I plan on doing a NGD thread here. So........

Edit again,

You realize this is all your fault. At least thats what I'm telling the wifey. 🙃

Edited by CROWB8
Just cuz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is what will happen. They will discontinue them, and then bring them back with an inflated price tag. And you Gibson guys will eat it up

If they put banjo's on it and be $2500 or under, yup, I'll buy all day.

54 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is what will happen. They will discontinue them, and then bring them back with an inflated price tag. And you Gibson guys will eat it up

Sarge, your comment makes it sound like you are NOT a Gibson fan. If that is the case, why are you here?🤔🤔🤔

52 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

If they put banjo's on it and be $2500 or under, yup, I'll buy all day.

Agree! I am curious to see what the price increases will look like in 2023. Can't remember when they go up, sometime in the first quarter if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Coachmoe said:

Sarge, your comment makes it sound like you are NOT a Gibson fan. If that is the case, why are you here?🤔🤔🤔

Man how many times do I have to hear this? I’ve owned many Gibsons, been a member here since 2014 or so. I guess because I can. 

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Man how many times do I have to hear this? I’ve owned many Gibsons, been a member here since 2014 or so. I guess because I can. 

Ok, so you've been here since 2014 and owned many Gubsons. Your comment suggested otherwise.

21 minutes ago, Coachmoe said:

Ok, so you've been here since 2014 and owned many Gubsons. Your comment suggested otherwise.

Want pics of what I’ve owned. That’s the forums unwritten rule - pics or it didn’t happen.

I guess you assumed? You know the saying about that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 12/20/2022 at 1:05 AM, SteveFord said:

I have a 2020, it's called Luden because it's the color of a cough drop.

The pick ups sound really good in this one, that head stock could stand some improvement (it's flat like a Fedner, tuners are real close together).

I wasn't looking, I don't know if there were any 2021 or 2022 models.

K7vHqRk.jpg

613hJnY.jpg

I had something similar  in phelam blue  a 17 model  https://ibb.co/NmJdFQB

but what i did not like of that guitar  were   those black ticknesses under the pickups ... i just hate them ! the trapezoid inlays  which for me are awful  on  firebirds   and  those unwatchable  steinberger tuners  which  kind of "dwarfed" the headstock , along with  the quality of costruction, especially the keyboard ,  and you understood the quality of that  instrument  just by playing it  off ,  thanks god  i made to sell back the guitar for 1800 euros  which was  areal deal  even tho I payed it 2000 dollars in japan   .  For me the perfect Firebird is the  64 III  reissue which i evetually  managed to buy    with the whammy bar  and the wrap around tail bridge   and  if you  use  the whammy  justy as a tremolo   the guitar stays perfectly  in tune .

On 12/28/2022 at 2:19 PM, Coachmoe said:

For sure.  The only switches I've replaced (2) were on otherwise decent EPIs.  Fortunately a easy fix.

On 12/28/2022 at 2:25 PM, CROWB8 said:

".....why did they cheap out on the switch and jack?

Edit again,

You realize this is all your fault. At least thats what I'm telling the wifey. 🙃

Yes it is CROWB8's fault.   But you still owe us a review when you get it!

• Like 1