Gibson Brands Forums

The “New” 1942 Banner LG-2 . . . Anybody

BurstOrBust

3 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I think this forum has many members with multiple brands of guitars (me included) but the majority of members try to keep the topic on the house brand and this forum topic which is Gibson Acoustic. There is the Gibson Lounge which is wide open by design and everything is game over there and I like it over there too.  But with any forum you always have a few who feel it is their born destiny to be the agitator and always bring up other brands. I guess they can’t get their ya yas in the Lounge so they come here to stir things up. Luckily they have an ignore member setting where you can block their comments and you only see them when someone quotes them. 

How is someone being an "agitator" when you're comparing one brand to another? Just because it's a Gibson forum doesn't mean it's blasphemy to talk about other brands, especially when it's offering comparisons for reference. I respectfully disagree that others will mention other brands just to cause trouble. Not true. 

4 minutes ago, BurstOrBust said:

Ha!  

In terms of Gibson's LG-2 remake, rightfully or not, I'm enamored with the adi top.  The Waterloo WL-12 would be my style, but I'm just not sure about the maple back and sides and the stika top.  Of course, like you said, it's thousands less.  

Check out the WL-K. Mahogany back and sides, spruce top, 12-fretter. 

3 minutes ago, sbpark said:

Check out the WL-K. Mahogany back and sides, spruce top, 12-fretter. 

That particular model was mentioned to me in another forum.  I guess what I'm looking for is "that vintage Gibson sound"  ala these Banner LG-2s . . even the 30's L-00's, but in a newer guitar.  I figured that perhaps Gibson could emulate this some, but who the heck knows.  

9 minutes ago, BurstOrBust said:

That particular model was mentioned to me in another forum.  I guess what I'm looking for is "that vintage Gibson sound"  ala these Banner LG-2s . . even the 30's L-00's, but in a newer guitar.  I figured that perhaps Gibson could emulate this some, but who the heck knows.  

Man, if I had the funds and the access to all the guitars mentioned in this thread (LG-2, Waterloos, etc.) I'd just get out and play them all and see what I preferred. Honestly, at this level and price point as long as you know what you're getting into and the basic characteristics of these guitars and how they sound, it's probably going to be pretty tough to go wrong!

Just an opinion but one of my all-time favorite LG2s was a 1944 maple body version.  If the stars had aligned properly it would be sitting here with me right now.  But I have also always been comfortable with Banner necks.  Then again, I cut my teeth on 1930s Kay Krafts, Oscar Schmidts and such.

And I have never known anybody here to get their knickers in a twist when somebody wants to talk about a guitar with something other than Gibson on the headstock.  Waterloos in particular pay more than a passing nod to Gibsons out of past catalogs.  As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Ok Taylors may be pushing it a bit. 

14 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Just an opinion but one of my all-time favorite LG2s was a 1944 maple body version.  If the stars had aligned properly it would be sitting here with me right now.  But I have also always been comfortable with Banner necks.  Then again, I cut my teeth on 1930s Kay Krafts, Oscar Schmidts and such.

And I have never known anybody here to get their knickers in a twist when somebody wants to talk about a guitar with something other than Gibson on the headstock.  Waterloos in particular pay more than a passing nod to Gibsons out of past catalogs.  As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Ok Taylors may be pushing it a bit. 

I'm still enjoying my '42 LG1 (pictured here before I had the bridge and tuner buttons replaced). It's neck seems to be more of a modern C shape. The reissue of it had a chunky but comfortable neck.

Banner LG1

42 LG1

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I'm still enjoying my '42 LG1 (pictured here before I had the bridge and tuner buttons replaced). It's neck seems to be more of a modern C shape. The reissue of it had a chunky but comfortable neck.

Banner LG1

42 LG1

My '32 L1 also has a modern feeling C neck around .91" at the 1st fret.  Man, I have twice now just missed out on a mahogany top L1s (although one was pretty much a basket case).  I swear I am starting to think I am jinxed when it comes to those guitars.

4 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

My '32 L1 also has a modern feeling C neck around .91" at the 1st fret.  Man, I have twice now just missed out on a mahogany top L1s (although one was pretty much a basket case).  I swear I am starting to think I am jinxed when it comes to those guitars.

Not to easy to find. I got bit by the bug after I bought the Reissue from JT. They only built 110+ of them and not many have survived. Tom Barnwell and John Thomas each have one.

2 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Not to easy to find. I got bit by the bug after I bought the Reissue from JT. They only built 110+ of them and not many have survived. Tom Barnwell and John Thomas each have one.

Why haven't many of the 110+ reissues survived?

1 minute ago, sbpark said:

Why haven't many of the 110+ reissues survived?

I looked for and found a vintage one after I had the reissue. The 110+ is in reference to the originals. The reissues were supposed to be limited to 50 guitars but I don't know if they made all 50 of them. You don't see them too often either. They're very nice guitars too.

7 hours ago, zombywoof said:

ZW, there is 44 Maple LG2 Banner for sale on Reverb.com at Kansas City Vintage Guitars......

Put your helmet on!

BluesKing777.

10 hours ago, Dave F said:

I looked for and found a vintage one after I had the reissue. The 110+ is in reference to the originals. The reissues were supposed to be limited to 50 guitars but I don't know if they made all 50 of them. You don't see them too often either. They're very nice guitars too.

Thanks for chiming in, Dave.

Yes, 139 originals shipped. I only know of 3 or 4 in existence.

As for that reissue, as I recall, the neck was substantial but significantly smaller than my original's neck.

IMHO, that reissue is a very nice guitar. I was glad to see it go to a friend.

12 hours ago, Dave F said:

I am telling you it is not low production numbers or survival rates.  It is a hex.  Oddly, I own an all-mahogany guitar also built in 1942.  In this case the guitar is the only known surviving example.  But it is here with me.

14 hours ago, j45nick said:

OK, tell us what you did, and how.

I  used the old Gibson guitar pump polish liquid because, as Hogeye once explained, it has a bit of Nitro in it.  < That is the key factor.  I didn't lavish it on the instrument or anything close to that.  Instead, a light spray on the polishing cloth for each surface, a repeat of this couple of times apart over a week or two and  that aging dull stuff is gone.  I just can not get into the purchase of a new guitar without a gloss.  I did the same thing with my J-45 Vintage earlier.  It doesn't take too much  effort to get a good gloss back.    Again, it's the Gibson pump spray polish that does it.  My supply is old, if that makes any difference in formula or not so.    OK, there you go.  Hope the info is useful.

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

ZW, there is 44 Maple LG2 Banner for sale on Reverb.com at Kansas City Vintage Guitars......

Put your helmet on!

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the heads up but at that price I will continue to worship it from afar..   Anyway, I am waiting on a 1948 Gibson-made National which is supposed to be showing up for a test drive and which should run me  a whole lot less than what the KC store is asking for that LG2.   Pretty much a J45 with brown burst finish and without an ADJ truss rod.

5 hours ago, Hall said:

I  used the old Gibson guitar pump polish liquid because, as Hogeye once explained, it has a bit of Nitro in it.  < That is the key factor.  I didn't lavish it on the instrument or anything close to that.  Instead, a light spray on the polishing cloth for each surface, a repeat of this couple of times apart over a week or two and  that aging dull stuff is gone.  I just can not get into the purchase of a new guitar without a gloss.  I did the same thing with my J-45 Vintage earlier.  It doesn't take too much  effort to get a good gloss back.    Again, it's the Gibson pump spray polish that does it.  My supply is old, if that makes any difference in formula or not so.    OK, there you go.  Hope the info is useful.

Thanks.

I have done the same thing using Virtuoso Cleaner on the VOS finish on my L-OO Legend, but I would be afraid to use that on the thin finish on the new acoustic Custom Shop models.

So can someone tell me what we are getting for $2000 more bucks than the LG2 50s style? A toasted Adi top? Anything else? Make out you are explaining to your wife/partner...

I don't want one - I have a 59 LG3 with 1 11/16" nut - just interested why the price difference....though I am the small guitar buff! Could be swayed one day by a used.....

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCDYV983/50s-LG-2/Vintage-Sunburst

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCMH3461/1942-Banner-LG-2/Vintage-Sunburst

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

6 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

So can someone tell me what we are getting for $2000 more bucks than the LG2 50s style? A toasted Adi top? Anything else? Make out you are explaining to your wife/partner...

I don't want one - I have a 59 LG3 with 1 11/16" nut - just interested why the price difference....though I am the small guitar buff! Could be swayed one day by a used.....

BluesKing777.

I would think the price difference  is the baked top and the UST pickup. 

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCDYV983/50s-LG-2/Vintage-Sunburst

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCMH3461/1942-Banner-LG-2/Vintage-Sunburst

BluesKing777.

I will inform Gibson that you are out of the new Gibson guitar market. I’m sure that will just crush them. I don’t know if they can survive a blow like this. You being a loyal Gibson supporter and often buying new guitars from them. They may have to cancel the new Montana expansion. 

18 hours ago, j45nick said:

Thanks.

I have done the same thing using Virtuoso Cleaner on the VOS finish on my L-OO Legend, but I would be afraid to use that on the thin finish on the new acoustic Custom Shop models.

You are welcome.  I'm not pushing  something here .  You asked me and I answered.   My J-45 Vintage  and  SJ 42 Banner have a gloss finish under whatever that sprayed (VOS)aging layer is, and the Gibson polish seemed to first push it about and then almost gradually evaporate the haze.  The Gibson Polish did not affect the gloss finish beneath, other than to reveal it is there.   I'm convinced the Gibson Polish formula is the key. And using it, is not even close to the radical extent of the Virtuoso cleaning and polishing procedure.  I used some horse sense as well, started small, inconspicuous and expanded.   It really wasn't a big project at all.  I would hope anyone would do the same with their Gibson Custom Shop model no matter what they were attempting.  Temperance and moderation! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave F said:

I will inform Gibson that you are out of the new Gibson guitar market. I’m sure that will just crush them. I don’t know if they can survive a blow like this. You being a loyal Gibson supporter and often buying new guitars from them. They may have to cancel the new Montana expansion. 

Instead of shooting your mouth off all over the forum, why don't you do something constructive and record yourself playing your guitars so we can all hear them?

BluesKing777.

23 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Instead of shooting your mouth off all over the forum, why don't you do something constructive and record yourself playing your guitars so we can all hear them?

BluesKing777.

Typical answer I would expect from a troll. Try bullying someone else. Your playing is okay but I cannot stand your singing. Don't quit your day job. I usually don't give advise but since you felt free to give me a couple suggestions, here a couple for you. Find a forum that appreciates your style of playing and singing and start posting on their performance forums. Even this GIBSON forum has a few performance forums for those who wish to post themselves. Don't get me wrong, we all go off course now and then and mention other guitars, but you take it to a new level. Find yourself a Maton forum. I'm sure they're fine guitars but this is the Gibson Acoustic  forum. Find yourself a Waterloo forum, I'm sure they're fine guitars but this is a Gibson Acoustic forum.  You seem to have a very high opinion of your talents. Do they have a Star Search or similar show in Oz land that you can try out? Your constant attacking of anyone that doesn't agree with you with your ' put up a video or shut up' is getting old. I don't perform, I don't put up videos, I don't profess to be a guitar virtuous or a great singer and I haven't heard one thing I like from you. Your constant posting of 'Warning! Non Gibson'  is getting old. I'm sorry you got your feathers ruffled with my comment but I just love someone who very seldom if ever buys a new Gibson (this is their forum) product but always have to chime in. It's a free forum and you can say whatever you want (and you do) but you shouldn't get all bent out of shape when you're called out. Now that you've 'called me out' in front of the whole world and humiliated me by attacking my talents (or lack of) I will go and watch Jeopardy and finish my bologna sandwich.  Have a good day BK. I wish you the best.

• Like 1