Gibson Brands Forums

How to? Finding the right case

Boingo

Hey all,

I've read a few older posts about finding a new case for a vintage ES125T. I recently brought my father's ES125T back to life, but the original case needs to be replaced.  When looking for a case, what are the important things to look for? For example, the luthier that worked on my dad's guitar, had a case that fit the shape of the guitar perfectly - nice snug fit, and the headstock was not seeing any pressure when closed, but it was a little deeper and so the guitar sat at an incline to the neck support.

Now, this guitar isn't going to travel much at all, but I want to get the right case for it - does the fact that it sat at a slight incline matter? Or does the snug fit with no pressure on the headstock/neck more important?

Thanks in advance for your time.

I think if you got to Gator Cases web site, they have a page where you can enter the dimensions of the guitar which will lead you to the options they have for cases that should fit.

Cedar Creek I think also will do the same.

You can spend $50 on a Chinese case, and up to over $1000 for a Colton that they claim you can through off a roof and hit with a blow torch and it will still be protected.  It needs to fit and seal the guitar from the outside at least for acoustics so you can humidify it. 

Cases must be a good fit. There cant be any sliding around in there & the headstock must be raised. 

I repurposed my ancient Fender case for a Jackson, (the tip of the headstock was touching base). A piece of foam pipe lagging over the neck support bracket did the trick. I've modified a few cases now. I prefer OHSC if one can be had.