Gibson Brands Forums

Ran across this guy this morning J-200

Paul14

Privetricker- or something like that. Helluva player, has like a thousand videos out there showing how to play thousands of covers, and each played on a top-end guitar. Love to meet him and spill a cup of coffee with the dude someday. 

Sorry but I must be missing something.  It is great that I gather he is well heeled enough to own some very nice guitars.  But while he is a good player (and probably better than me but most are) I did not hear anything that would make me seek him out to listen to.

15 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Sorry but I must be missing something.  It is great that I gather he is well heeled enough to own some very nice guitars.  But while he is a good player (and probably better than me but most are) I did not hear anything that would make me seek him out to listen to.

Plus, I couldn't make out half of what he was mumbling and - Gravol would be helpful to follow his twisting and turning in front of the camera.

Other than that ...

While he originally used the name Privettricker for his music videos, he changed to James James a few years ago. 

He is neither the greatest musician I've ever heard, nor has the best stage presence in his home-made productions, but he is a good enough guitar player to help those who want to know how this or that song is played.

And as he has reiterated many times, that is all he intends with these videos.

RBSinTo

12 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

There's a lot of gloss on that big boy compared to my Historic 1957.

If you're cutting off the string excess why would you leave them at that lethal nasty length?

1 hour ago, olie said:

Plus, I couldn't make out half of what he was mumbling and - Gravol would be helpful to follow his twisting and turning in front of the camera.

Other than that ...

49 minutes ago, blindboygrunt said:

Nice guitar , likes it almost as much as he likes himself by the sounds of it 

No good deed goes unpunished.

He makes and posts helpful videos at his own expense, and gets cr@pped on for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with his intent.

Rbsinto 

7 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

No good deed goes unpunished.

He makes and posts helpful videos at his own expense, and gets cr@pped on for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with his intent.

Rbsinto 

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Well,,,,,,you always have Miley Cyrus.

15 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

There's a lot of gloss on that big boy compared to my Historic 1957.

If you're cutting off the string excess why would you leave them at that lethal nasty length?

Really? That’s your concern? 

3 hours ago, duluthdan said:

I think this guy's videos are tremendous - scroll around and find him teaching Suite Judy Blue Eyes on a Gibson Dove.  

2 hours ago, Paul14 said:

Or maybe a Hummingbird.

Ahhh.

It all becomes clear now.

It's because he's playing the songs on Bird guitars, as if that's an important  point.

When I'm trying to learn how to play this or that song by watching a video, it is immaterial what guitar the teacher is using.

But that's just me. 

RBSinTo

12 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Ahhh.

It all becomes clear now.

It's because he's playing the songs on Bird guitars, as if that's an important  point.

When I'm trying to learn how to play this or that song by watching a video, it is immaterial what guitar the teacher is using.

But that's just me. 

RBSinTo

As if?  I couldn’t agree more, with your statement. If you want to  accuse me of something, just do it. No point beating around the bush. What guitar is being used doesn’t matter to me either. I don’t own a hummingbird.  This is the Gibson forum. If you don’t like the guy, don’t watch. See how easy that is?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

As if?  I couldn’t agree more, with your statement. If you want to  accuse me of something, just do it. No point beating around the bush. What guitar is being used doesn’t matter to me either. I don’t own a hummingbird.  This is the Gibson forum. If you don’t like the guy, don’t watch. See how easy that is?

I want to argue about the tuning, but then again I just like arguing.

I think 4 + 20 is in that tuning too. And Love The One You're With is CCCCGC. Damn that's slack.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Paul14 said:

Then why was it necessary to mention it?

And when did I say I didn't like him? I'm defending him and his videos from all the kvetching.

And when I watch his videos, It's because of the song he's playing, not the guitar he's using.

See how easy that is?

RBSinTo

5 hours ago, Paul14 said:

As well as many others! Your point being?

Oy veh.  The guy is without a doubt a gifted technical guitar player but plenty of them around.  Dr. Woof's advice is to take two aspirin and put on Bahamian guitar player Joseph Spences' version of "Coming in on a Wing and Prayer" and call me in the morning.

7 hours ago, Paul14 said:

Or maybe a Hummingbird.

I love that song.  I fingerpick it in Drop D tuning to get the melody, harmony and bass running at the same time.  It is probably my most requested song at open mics (when we had such things).  My guess is it is not as much my playing but  everybody knows it and it is easy enough to strum so folks have no problem joining in. 

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Then why was it necessary to mention it?

And when did I say I didn't like him? I'm defending him and his videos from all the kvetching.

And when I watch his videos, It's because of the song he's playing, not the guitar he's using.

See how easy that is?

RBSinTo

Never said you didn’t like him.  Who said  they watched because of the guitar he is playing?  That’s just an added bonus. My original post was him talking about  how much he likes his J-200. 
I thought that would be appropriate for the Gibson acoustic  forum.  That’s not complicated either, (Or maybe it is)