Gibson Brands Forums

Dementia

Mr. Gibson

Went to the capital city with my friend who’s wife has MS/Dementia. He needed help to load a lift for his wife, his boys are busy in the field, so I’m up for a drive and lunch at Dennys. I showed him the wonders of google maps, he’ll be getting rid of that flip phone now, Anyway her insurance quit paying for her stay at the hospital and he either takes care of her or shells out 300.00 a day which he and many others don’t have. So he purchased thousands  worth of equipment today at the rehab store and he’ll take care of her. Now you see why I don’t want to burden Karen. You’re going to have a funeral sooner or later,might as well be sooner and save 110K a year.

• Like 1

Don't know where you're located( too many in forums it seems are so anally secretive about their actual location), or what kind of insurance you have, but it might be worth a look into what their coverage is for hospice care.  My wife didn't qualify due to her not being terminal.  But it might not matter to different insurance companies.  And my experience was that many of the "home care" agencies don't really offer daily care, and I was lucky if anyone showed up more than once a week.  Or in some cases, once every two weeks.  The only reliable people were the transport company that would come to take my wife to dialysis and bring her back, and the infusion people who supplied the liquid food.  

I don't know who your friend is, or his situation, but my wife, a GM retiree, still had employee health care coverage(Bc/Bs) which covered the cost of all the home care equipment that was needed( hospital bed, Hoyer lift,  infusion pump and food, reclining wheelchair, etc.) And also the cost of the dialysis and transportation.  Maybe he checked with her insurance and they refused to cover the cost, or he didn't bother to check but might have saved himself the thousands in equipment costs.

Whitefang

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Don't know where you're located( too many in forums it seems are so anally secretive about their actual location), or what kind of insurance you have, but it might be worth a look into what their coverage is for hospice care.  My wife didn't qualify due to her not being terminal.  But it might not matter to different insurance companies.  And my experience was that many of the "home care" agencies don't really offer daily care, and I was lucky if anyone showed up more than once a week.  Or in some cases, once every two weeks.  The only reliable people were the transport company that would come to take my wife to dialysis and bring her back, and the infusion people who supplied the liquid food.  

I don't know who your friend is, or his situation, but my wife, a GM retiree, still had employee health care coverage(Bc/Bs) which covered the cost of all the home care equipment that was needed( hospital bed, Hoyer lift,  infusion pump and food, reclining wheelchair, etc.) And also the cost of the dialysis and transportation.  Maybe he checked with her insurance and they refused to cover the cost, or he didn't bother to check but might have saved himself the thousands in equipment costs.

Whitefang

She’s going down so fast that it probably won’t be long before she passes away. As far as insurance paying I think he’s got the clinic sending a script down to the equipment store, I really don’t know how much they’re paying, I don’t want to ask. He’s had a rough 5 days with thinking about how to proceed with this.They’ve been together for 42 years so it’s very emotional for him. I think he’s getting very little support from their 4 kids, hence why he called me to help. Be a friend anyway you can, just to laugh with a friend is good medicine.

• Like 1

Someone(like you) being there for HIM will also help him be there for HER and make her feel better knowing there's someone helping him through it too.  My wife was the second of six sisters, and sadly, the second to the last died way too young at 42 back in '90.  The rest of her sisters were usually over the house keeping my wife company and giving me a bit of whatever help they were capable of.   But I don't know HOW many times I told my wife that it wasn't necessary for her to worry about ME so much.  She had enough to worry about without the extra stress.

Whitefang

Hospice use to be  for helping patients who were thought to be terminal and near death.  Its value has been expanded to bridge the gap between that and Home Care.  My Mom was on Hospice for 3 years.  That was under Medicare.  Sounds like your friend already bought the equipment, etc. he felt was needed.  But, he might look into Hospice if he hasn't.  Get her doctor to refer his wife. 

• Like 1

I like working out a lot and taking care of my health, it is really important. I have beet taking some good meds and supplements which I think are really cool too. What do you think about such stuff like that from Enhance Club, for example? What do you think?

Edited by pearhie

4 hours ago, pearhie said:

I like working out a lot and taking care of my health, it is really important. I have beet taking some good meds and supplements which I think are really cool too. What do you think about such stuff like that from Enhance Club, for example? What do you think?

I think you are a cynical spammer with absolutely nothing worthwhile to say and you should take your input somewhere else.

• Like 1

I can't access their website due to always getting "403 ERROR" notification.  Much as I can gather,  they supply  products to help with ED, which has nothing to do with dementia.  So you're right in telling him to bugger off JDGM.   [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

I have been around a lot of people with it.  Mrs. Carlson, our neighbor at the house that Deb and I started at had it. She was the first one I knew that got it. Every day I got home from work she was sitting outside on her porch.  "Now who are you?" She would ask, and the same conversation would unfold every time I saw her. Ivan across from our street has it. He is the same way asking the same question every time we meet. Alice, my aunt from Colorado, had it and died many years ago.  She was my favorite aunt of all of them.  It is a depressing thing to get it.