Gibson Brands Forums

Driving into Canada to buy a guitar

Chrose1201

Last year I sold a guitar to a guy from Canada. He drove down from Montreal (I live in upstate NY) and bought the guitar. No idea if he had any border issues.

I am looking at a guitar that's in Canada. If I drive I can save a small fortune on shipping. Does anyone have any knowledge about what the rules, if any, might be?

Thanks.

Shoot never mind. I just realized I don't want that particular guitar. Sorry... my bad! I don't know how to delete the post 😄

Edited by Chrose1201
Changed mind

1 minute ago, Chrose1201 said:

Last year I sold a guitar to a guy from Canada. He drove down from Montreal (I live in upstate NY) and bought the guitar. No idea if he had any border issues.

I am looking at a guitar that's in Canada. If I drive I can save a small fortune on shipping. Does anyone have any knowledge about what the rules, if any, might be?

Thanks.

Can you get into Canada right now? If the boarders are open again, I'm going to Canada just to get the hell out of the US for a change of pace.

Borders are closed unless its a essential service.    They say up here maybe June 21 for reopening.     At our end they have been bumping the month and date since Nov 2020.      Your from the US ? Made in the US . You can buy anything you want.  
 And take it back.  Just make sure your total cash ,or check, does not exceed 9999.00 cdn     No firearms, no dope.    Declare all items if you intend to leave items here. Customs officers like there power trips. 

to be sure talk to US customs prior for re entry.  

Edited by slimt

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Can you get into Canada right now? If the boarders are open again, I'm going to Canada just to get the hell out of the US for a change of pace.

Weed is legal there I think 🤔

I haven’t gotten real id yet so I’m limited to where I can go. 

26 minutes ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Weed is legal there I think 🤔

I haven’t gotten real id yet so I’m limited to where I can go. 

Weed is legal there. The whole country of Canada when legal a few years ago. Weed is legal here in about 10 to 15 states and Virginia goes legal in one month and 6 days.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

32 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Weed is legal there. The whole country of Canada when legal a few years ago. Weed is legal here in about 10 to 15 states and Virginia goes legal in one month and 6 days.

Going to the US though. Its Federal. Even though the separate  States allow .  So its  not so easy.   

Edited by slimt

weed was never a big issue here before , not unless you dealt, now we have more rules and penalties about where you buy it and how you grow it  AND now road blocks include pot impaired checks, but you can buy it and choose MANY varieties, no smoking rules apply like cigs (no smoking in LOTS of public places.) mmmmn is it too early ?....

So, with all the web sites that are supposedly reasonably priced and plentiful here in the states, and GC's all over the place, WHAT'S so special about that particular guitar that would have you consider travelling into Canada to buy it?   Some long time coveted but discontinued model perhaps?   Or some other rare vintage?

Whitefang

• Like 1

Vox was running a special a few years ago in Canada.. Buy a Vox Amp & get a free Guitar.. I forget the name of the models but were like Les Pauls...

I live in So Cal.. I called & tried to buy one..

Long story short they wouldn’t honor the Sale price out of Canada & there was some big hassle about shipping to the U.S. 

It was too much trouble... Unfortunately, the same deal wasn’t offered in the U.S.A. Because Kong represents U.S.A. & another Co. represents Canada or something like that...