Gibson Brands Forums

Any advice on how to clean an effects pedal from the 80's?

RichCI

First off, it was the 80's - if you weren't there, you won't get it.

I have an old Made in Japan Boss EQ pedal that is coated with Aquanet hairspray. I've been trying to remove it using Windex and paper towels with limited success. Any tips on how to get that stuff off of the pedal without removing the paint?

Yeah, I know it's funny, but it's actually a real problem I'm having.

I use this stuff on a lot of different things.. It's great at adhesives and other sticky residuey type substances. I've never seen it remove paint. Says it removes latex, but I've used it to clean pen marks off walls and such.

Just make sure you use with plenty of ventilation... :-

41juAIFqyFL._SS500_.jpg

LOL Hairspray!....anyway I'd go with Rubbing Alcohol. I know Oops! or Goof Off will take off the Hairspray, bit not sure what kind of effect it would have on electronics. Might melt the Circuit Board or something. I'd soak the thing in alcohol, wipe off as much as will come off and repeat till it's gone. Make sure it's dried out before you use it. I think a Hair Dryer would be appropriate for this case. LOL

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I spent some more time with the Windex and then just said "Eff it - maybe the hairspray adds a certain authenticity to it or something." At any rate, it doesn't seem to be hurting anything other than making it looks a little ugly.

First off' date=' it was the 80's - if you weren't there, you won't get it.

I have an old Made in Japan Boss EQ pedal that is coated with Aquanet hairspray. I've been trying to remove it using Windex and paper towels with limited success. Any tips on how to get that stuff off of the pedal without removing the paint?

Yeah, I know it's funny, but it's actually a real problem I'm having.

[/quote']

That's so funny. I feel the pain. I think that **** made the rubber on my Boss pedals turn hard.

I took off the knobs and cleaned them all off with alcohol years ago. I've kept them covered in some sort of pedal case ever since. The rubber pad on my Boss EQ is like hard plastic though. I still use it all the time.

pedalboard_03-28-09.jpg

Archived