Gibson Brands Forums

Plastic film on the pick guard

Mike Noble

Hi, all.. need some help. I have had my 2020 ES335 Dot for a month or so now. What an exquisite instrument. Fell in love, no doubt. 

One thing..... I just recently noticed an imperfection on the pick guard. When I looked closer, it looked like there was a film of some kind on the pick guard the was being torn by my pick. I tried to pick it and take it off but couldn’t do it. Before I do something drastic, I thought I would check with all of you. Picture below.

D4CD6040-EC0A-49DE-BEF7-872A90FF93DC.jpeg

18 hours ago, Mike Noble said:

😎You know, I have had 11 guitars all told and this is the only one that ever had any protective film on it! Is it a Gibson thing? 

No, it likely still on all of them [wink].

I think I've had film on other brands. Hard to remember because the first thing I do with new guitars is remove the pickguard. Only my Hofner has retained its pickguard, and thats only because it holds the pickup in place.

22 hours ago, Mike Noble said:

😎You know, I have had 11 guitars all told and this is the only one that ever had any protective film on it! Is it a Gibson thing? 

No I think most new guitars come with plastic on the PG's. I have pealed plastic of Fenders, Gibsons,  and Martins. I've even bough a used acoustic that no one bothered to do it so I got the honor of doing it.

20 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Yes.  It preserves that New Pickguard Smell.

That's really what you're paying for.

New Pickguard Smell would be a great name of a band.

Hello Cleveland were New Pickguard Smell from Secaucus, NJ and were here to rock.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

I had a running gag with this woman in the IT Dept. about the new cord smell when she was upgrading the phone systems at work.  Once that new cord smell wears off the equipment stops working properly.

She had a big retirement party with all of the top brass there and I gave her a going away present: a gift wrapped aerosal can with the label "Cord In A Can".

She loved it, everybody in the room looked at us like we were  nuts.

Maybe we are.