Gibson Brands Forums

It's official...

rct

...after a beautiful 65 degrees and breezy day in the garden I made us a couple rounds of fresh-from-the-garden mint juleps.  As the chef du jour of the day, I turned it up and drained the last shot or so of delightful dark amber goodness.  We are out of Heaven's Door.

It is not a secret in my band, among many others, that I will play 4 sets of garbage to get to that song.  Since I sing it, I call the shots, and we've been doing it the God way, the '75 reggae way.  But after that third verse, that heart breaking gut wrenching Baby stay right here with me verse, my version devolves into a cacophony of over bent, over gained, reach for the back of the arena 70's hard rock mashup of a  solo, for as long as I want.   When I've brought it up to the climactic crescendo of blistering sonic pyrotechnics I get back down on the one, pedals resolved, and we are a chukka chukka squeaky clean reggae band again.  Every time my  band knows when to do that, knows what I am about to do and where to go, and we are all there no matter how outta whack I might seem to be we make it back, I am a happy guitar player singer guy.

It is in that esprit de corps, that trusting bond of musical intimacy that I will take one for the team and Monday I will slog my way out to the leeker store and replenish the larder.  I'm that kind of guy, I will do what is right.

rct

Edited by rct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, rct said:

...after a beautiful 65 degrees and breezy day in the garden I made us a couple rounds of fresh-from-the-garden mint juleps.  As the chef du jour of the day, I turned it up and drained the last shot or so of delightful dark amber goodness.  We are out of Heaven's Door.

It is not a secret in my band, among many others, that I will play 4 sets of garbage to get to that song.  Since I sing it, I call the shots, and we've been doing it the God way, the '75 reggae way.  But after that third verse, that heart breaking gut wrenching Baby stay right here with me verse, my version devolves into a cacophony of over bent, over gained, reach for the back of the arena 70's hard rock mashup of a  solo, for as long as I want.   When I've brought it up to the climactic crescendo of blistering sonic pyrotechnics I get back down on the one, pedals resolved, and we are a chukka chukka squeaky clean reggae band again.  Every time my  band knows when to do that, knows what I am about to do and where to go, and we are all there no matter how outta whack I might seem to be we make it back, I am a happy guitar player singer guy.

It is in that esprit de corps, that trusting bond of musical intimacy that I will take one for the team and Monday I will slog my way out to the leeker store and replenish the larder.  I'm that kind of guy, I will do what is right.

rct

Sounds like you have a very good band RC. 

• Like 1

The songs I look forward to are also the ones where I have not only a solo, but can have something to say about it. I never play anything 'as per record', so solos are always the way I want to do them. All the same, there are a bunch of songs that I have little enthusiasm for.

But a few songs have the structure that inspires and frees me up. 'Move on Up' is one. 'Hard to Handle' another. Always high spots for me.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Wow.  Now that was interesting.  It has everything - a vague thread title and an alcohol inventory.  Is there any way we can hear a recording of your "climactic crescendo of blistering sonic pyrotechnics"?   

...  and so it goes.

And...Saturday night was another victory.  Great night worth of playing to get to that one song, we did it again.  Very enjoyable.

There are many ways "we" can hear recordings of myself with a variety of people.  Apparently your group of "we" is not aware of them.

rct