Gibson Brands Forums

SG Action Issues

Jamco80

Hello,

Ive been given a 2012 SG special, the 70s tribute with mini humbuckers, for my birthday.

Upon getting it out of the gig bag, I’ve noticed that the bridge is cranked up really high at the low E end. Looking at the action, the low E action is really high at the high frets but still really low at the lower ones. 
Ive never seen such a huge tilt on a bridge like this and action seems really wrong.

Should I be worried about some sort of neck issue? Maybe over tightening?

Advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

9 hours ago, Jamco80 said:

Hello,

Ive been given a 2012 SG special, the 70s tribute with mini humbuckers, for my birthday.

Upon getting it out of the gig bag, I’ve noticed that the bridge is cranked up really high at the low E end. Looking at the action, the low E action is really high at the high frets but still really low at the lower ones. 
Ive never seen such a huge tilt on a bridge like this and action seems really wrong.

Should I be worried about some sort of neck issue? Maybe over tightening?

Advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Hello. 

Bring it in and have it checked out. The action anomalies sound a bit weird. I doubt the bridge angle would affect the neck, though. It could be NGS (New Gibson Syndrome). 

On 8/20/2021 at 10:30 PM, Jamco80 said:

you mean as if the posts the bridge rests on are bent forward?

if that's the case, that's not what you want at all.

a picture would help

Hello,

thank you for all your replies.

Following some further investigations, it looks like the previous own has cut some of the nut grooves too deep, then  jacked up the adjustment on the bridge to compensate for fret buzz.

Had a set up done with some repairs done to the nut. Although I think I’ll replace the nut soon.

Buying second hand guitars seems to be like buying a second hand car, it’s totally bemusing why the previous owner did certain changes or adjustments. 
I’ll try to get some pics, although the 500kb limit is making it difficult 

😀

• Thanks 1

Use an image hosting site to get around the 500kB limit here.  I personally don't bother with this site's image hosting (e.g. Imgur).  But yeah, buying a second-hand guitar always has "something" wrong with it.  As long as it is not the neck where TR doesn't work or twisted, everything else can be fixed/handled relatively easy IMHO.  Replacing a nut is nothing...  Put a nice bone one on there and call it a day!