Gibson Brands Forums

harmonicas?

egoidealmusic

So, it's time to get some new harmonicas.  Yes, I know they can be cleaned, but these are hitting the 25 year mark and it's just time for some new ones.  Do any of you play with harmonicas and do you have recommendations?  I'd played with the Hohner special 20s for years, but have seen a lot of folks recently saying that they prefer the Marine band ones.  Also, do you think that the guitar you play determines the harmonica?  That is, if Gibsons are more well known for bottom and mid range (which my new one definitley is), would that suggest that certain harmonicas would sound better with them?  Thanks!

I pretty much use nothing but Hohners now.  Tried different brands, but end-up back with Hohners.  I find I don’t have to jack-around with them as much as I’ve had to do with others.  In fact, I rarely ever have to open one of them up.  Bought an entire set of Lee Oskers about five years ago.  Lots of problems from the start.  Numerous holes that you can’t blow or draw a note with on four of them……….  Anyway, I don’t mind cleaning my harps (harmonica tea) and I’ve replaced reeds before,  which isn’t hard.  I like using them and I’m pretty good at playing single note melodies and backing-up a guitar when asked.  Harmonicas can add a sweet or melancholy atmosphere to a song.  I’ll likely stick with Hohners.

Hohner every day of the week for me. I prefer the Big River or Pro Harp models as the ABS comb is less prone to distorting with humidity than the maple comb in the Marine Bands. They all sound great though, really sweet and toneful.

I like Lee Oskar too, but they often have a tuning issue which drives me nuts, coming in at under A440 which is intentional on their part to make them sound more “bluesy” but for straightahead singer/songwriter work that I do, they just sound flat. Lovely build though and good if Blues is your thing.

• Thanks 1

Been playing Hohner since the summer of 1975 where I bought 2 in Soho London. "Are these any good ?" I asked the man behind the counter. "Dylan plays them !" was all he replied.                                                         Back to the hotel went the C and G. 

Lee Oscars have been added the last 20 years or so. Both High F and Low F, ,, plus some # and b's.

Remember discovering that Bob and Neil prefered Marine Bands as a young man. And the 1976-sight of the latter dipping his harp in a glass of ? on the grand piano live never evaporated.  

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

I like Lee Oskar too, but they often have a tuning issue which drives me nuts, coming in at under A440 which is intentional on their part to make them sound more “bluesy” but for straightahead singer/songwriter work that I do, they just sound flat. Lovely build though and good if Blues is your thing.

A good observation - never noticed, will keep ears open. Luckily you are able to compensate by mouth-tuning while playing. . 

3 hours ago, Jinder said:

Hohner every day of the week for me. I prefer the Big River or Pro Harp models as the ABS comb is less prone to distorting with humidity than the maple comb in the Marine Bands. They all sound great though, really sweet and toneful.

Yeah, good point on the Lee Oskars.  Of course for me, it may be my playing more than the harmonica itself.  I guess I was a bit disappointed in them because I’ve heard that they are among the best harps and was expecting more.  I just wish mine played as easily as the Hohners.

I do not play harp much any more.  I have played with too many folks who are better than I ever was.  But I do still keep a couple of Hohner Blues Harps I picked up in the late-1960s around plus a Violin King Tremolo and a Koch Chromatic which I found in my mother's house.

Thanks, all!

So it defnitely seems that I should stick with the Hohners.

And great point on the humidity, Jinder--it is really humid down here in south Georgia where I live so maybe sticking with the Special 20s would be best --though I do admit that Dylan and Young using the Marine band ones does make them awfully tempting.

Don't really play harp.  I own one which is a Hohner Echo-Luxe in C.  Have a feeling I got it as a kid around 1963 or so.  It is longer(6 1/4 inches) than the blues harps I saw for years being used around Chicago,  and goes almost two octaves.  It's main use was as a pitch pipe  for tuning my guitar before the age of digital tuners and when there was no piano handy.  As I said I don't really know how to play it, but it has a cool vibrato sort of sound to it.  Searching them on the web I see them for sale for anywhere from $100 up to almost $300 so maybe I have something good?  It has 20 holes and they are two high.  I found this picture which just like mine and it's referred to as "art-deco" cause of the pink and blue color I guess.  Mine looks to be in much better condition than this one, but it is missing a couple tiny little brads that hold the bottom tin plate on at one end.  

See the source imageImage result for hohner echo-luxe

Edited by Twang Gang

I play harp quite a lot-- embarrassing but true.  I bonded to Hohner Special 20s long ago -- the Lee Oscars are a little to soft for strong acoustic string band music.  Because I play a  lot of bluegrass where any key is legal, I get them in sets of 12.  Hohners have gotten pretty pricey, so I have searched for years for reasonable performing alternative.  I have found two : Easttop and SX Blues.  The first cost about 1/2 the cost of Special 20s and the other is quite cheap.  I have auditions literally 100s of these over 40+ years, and these are all I have found that do it for me.

Here is an example of how I play.

Let's pick,

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the feel of Hohner Marine Band or Special 20 but I do use the Lee Oskar as well. I haven't been successful changing reeds on any of my Hohners, but I can work on the Lee Oskar which makes them a bit preferable from a budget standpoint! Jinder mentioned that the Lee Oskar have a tuning issue - I agree. It's a bit aggravating. I like their low octave harps but a couple of mine are noticeably flat. Fortunately it's easy to change the whole reed plate when it's really bad.

I admire those of you that can keep your harps for years! I seem to blow them out after several months. I'm self taught and probably don't do it right!

I'm attaching a music video I just put out of an original song. (I hope that's allowed)

I'm not a great harp player, but I sure enjoy it! I have a blast making the videos!

• Like 1