Gibson Brands Forums

Which guitar for me?

FiggyPudding18

Hi there, I want to buy a new Gibson, maybe either an SG or a 335.  But here's my problem--I really like the sound of '57 classics, and kind of that PAF sound.  Looking a versatile guitar that can do nice jazzy cleans.  It seems the 335 is equipped with t-types which are brighter and SG's have the 61r/t or the 490.  The only thing I can find that has the '57 classics is the 339.  

I know I could swap pickups, but I'd prefer not to go down that road.  Any suggestions?

Are you only looking to buy new?  I have a 2004 ES-335 Dot Reissue and a 2005 SG Supreme, both of which came stock with ‘57 Classics.  I love both guitars and have no intention of ever selling either one because they both sound great.  You should be able to find a used model to fit your needs and wants.

Good luck in your search.

I have a 2013 ES335 that have 57 Classics & I like their sound. I also have an ES Les Paul with MHS Pickups that have a very good approximation of original PAFS. I like the Sound of that one too. I  owned a vintage 1959 Gibson ES345 with real PAF’s & nothing sounds like them… Close but not the same…

Edited by Larsongs

the 57 classics are good for anything 490s are generally a rock or metal pup. Ttops should sound almost identcal to the 57 classics . so unless youre looking to spend a crapload more money go with the 57s. I just bought a 61 reissue sg with 57's, and i also have a 1970 LP with patent number pickups, and you really cant tell the differnce

I have 5 Gibsons and the only one I have with '57 Classics / + is an ES- Les Paul Special II and they sound RAD. Although, it is ALL maple, so it is hard to tell how they sound in something else, but I'm sure they would be good in whatever. Solid bodies and hollow bodies are quite different. Hollow guitars give you a bigger and rounder tone. Think Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold". But, they are bigger physically and prone to feedback at high volumes. The advantage is that they are better to play acoustically if you don't feel like plugging in!

I have two 335's. a '08 Custom shop with 57 Classics & a 2021 with  the T types. the 57 Classics are my favorite as well and my 08 335 is my favorite guitar I own. but I gotta tell you, the T types sound great in the '21.

as far as choice, nothing beats a ES-335. most versatile guitar you'll ever own.