Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone for a re-bracing. .

E-minor7

Looks like it is/was a Hummingbird, but were there 'Birds with unbound necks?

Is there some sort of mastic or something laminated under the top which would allow for that bridge plate to be screwed to the top? The edges of whatever it is are irregular around the waist, and the view through the bridge pins holes would suggest a top thickness greater than what we would expect to see on a guitar with the bridge plate removed. 

With the shadow of the removed bridge plate- what kind of bracing would that allow for?

Third World luthiery, for sure, but they did what they could to make it play as a stringed instrument.

Take a sad song and make it better (?)

15 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Looks like it is/was a Hummingbird, but were there 'Birds with unbound necks?

Yes - and where the heck is the rosette !?

15 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Take a sad song and make it better (?)

Take these broken wings and learn to fly. . 

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes - and where the heck is the rosette !?

Take these broken wings and learn to fly. . 

Maybe that's a knock-off, rather than a Gibson. Either that, or it might have been re-topped badly at some point in the past.

The pictures raise more questions than they  answer.

Edited by j45nick
spelling error correction

Even if a knock-off if built with decent lumber it might be cool to go with the bracing Kalamazoo used in those guitars as Bozeman does not offer an HB with period bracing.   

I do own a 1965 Silvertone 633 (a Harmony H1260 Sovereign with a brown burst) where the only remaining original parts are the top, rim and back.  

Edited by zombywoof

The pickguard looks like the thick, translucent, reddish originals of the 60s, as well as the 60s adjustable saddle. I haven't seen a 60s hummingbird with an unbound neck, although I haven't seen enough of them to say unbound necks didn't exist then. The bridge looks all wrong.

Edited by Kwlsky

On behalf of the broken Bird I thank you all for the concern. It's simply impossible to figure this frankenstone out. It may even be too heavy to ever fly again. 

But the flora-fauna garden and the ceramic saddle - nothing wrong there. They shall survive. .