Gibson Brands Forums

Help me check this Hummingbird

Benucho

Hi there !

First of all, please excuse my english : I'm French and I'll try not to make too many mistakes 🙂

I have always dreamt to own a Hummingbird and I have seen this offer on a french website https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/annonce-2004573
Actually I have some doubts about the authenticity of the guitar but, as I am not an expert, I would be pleased if you could look at it and share your remarks.

At first glance, the nut seems weird to me (or at least, not original ?) : I had never seen a nut on a Hummingbird with something written before. And the "bell plate" on the head seems too close to the nut.
Could you give me your impression ?

Kind regards,

Yes, it does look good.  What you see as writing on the nut I suspect is just a random mark that could be removed.  It says it's an historic model and while I'm not too familiar with that one the finish color looks odd for such a reissue.............but that could just be the lighting.  Is there a return policy on this one?

A perfectly normal Bird - which we must assume you already saw when comparing with other Historic Collections or Standards on the web.  

With over 15 years behind it's probably well broken in, so if your purse is open - move & enjoy.

, , , , and do write back and tell us how it turned out. Good Luck

From the photos I'd say it is a genuine Gibson.  It is not however a standard type of Hummingbird.  First of all, the body is Rosewood so it will sound quite different from the usual mahogany bird.  Then there is the cutaway which may or may not affect the tone very much, but certainly not in keeping with the standard Hummingbird.  By all means if you can go and play it, it could be an excellent guitar.  But if you have wanted a Hummingbird for years and years this is sort of settling for an alternative.  Although I understand a standard bird might be very hard to come by in France. 

1 hour ago, Twang Gang said:

Rosewood

Twang- I had to click again, thinking how could I have missed seeing the rosewood, but then saw the message at the top, saying the listing had been removed. It was a nice Hummingbird with the blue Custom Shop label that the Historic Series (which was to become the True Vintage line) had on the back of the neck, and a very nice sunburst 'round front.

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

From the photos I'd say it is a genuine Gibson.  It is not however a standard type of Hummingbird.  First of all, the body is Rosewood so it will sound quite different from the usual mahogany bird.  Then there is the cutaway which may or may not affect the tone very much, but certainly not in keeping with the standard Hummingbird.  By all means if you can go and play it, it could be an excellent guitar.  But if you have wanted a Hummingbird for years and years this is sort of settling for an alternative.  Although I understand a standard bird might be very hard to come by in France. 

That link now goes to the wrong guitar. It originally linked to a conventional 'bird.

Hi guys !

Indeed, I didn’t understand why you told about the rosewood and a cutaway, but the text in french at the bottom of the page reads now that the offer has been removed and actually, I know why 😉

I met the seller yesterday and bought it 😁 No doubt after having played it : it’s a genuine bird ! 
A few things have been changed on it but the sound is very nice. 
Thanks again for your advice, you helped me well !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benucho said:

Hi guys !

Indeed, I didn’t understand why you told about the rosewood and a cutaway, but the text in french at the bottom of the page reads now that the offer has been removed and actually, I know why 😉

I met the seller yesterday and bought it 😁 No doubt after having played it : it’s a genuine bird ! 

Congratulations!

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

Twang- I had to click again, thinking how could I have missed seeing the rosewood, but then saw the message at the top, saying the listing had been removed. It was a nice Hummingbird with the blue Custom Shop label that the Historic Series (which was to become the True Vintage line) had on the back of the neck, and a very nice sunburst 'round front.

The guitar in Q was/is a Historic Collection (or Standard) Hummingbird. Hope we see it again soon. It's home, , , it now belongs to the Board. \:D/ 

1 hour ago, Benucho said:

Great News

CONGRATS ! !   A quintessential  Hummingbird,  search no more Pilgrim !  That shade is my favorite.  (Mine is  'unfiltered Camels', my second favorite.)   

And, pardon my French, but your English is  muy bueno.  Better than many of us axeholds here !  

Edited by fortyearspickn

4 hours ago, Benucho said:

Here is a picture of this beauty 🥰

OOooohh, to bring the dream Bird home and see it land in one's environment  -  a bunch of us know that feeling. Your X-mas this year will something very spezial.
Now get the action right.

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

That shade is my favorite.  (Mine is  'unfiltered Camels', my second favorite.)   

You just threw me off there. . Buy Camel No-Filter Regular Cigarettes Online - Buy Cigs Online?

21 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

OOooohh, to bring the dream Bird home and see it land in one's environment  -  a bunch of us know that feeling. Your X-mas this year will something very spezial.
Now get the action right.

So true ! Always such an excitement to bring a new one at home, especially when you've dreamt about it for ages 🙂 

Here's a quick photo, once she has reached her sisters 😉 

guitares.jpg.d6a23b4e65299c33280679c6fb98e3fb.jpg

That shade is my favorite.  (Mine is  'unfiltered Camels', my second favorite.)   

You just threw me off there. . Buy Camel No-Filter Regular Cigarettes Online - Buy Cigs Online?

Tobacco Burst  -   the strong,  raw, unfiltered taste of Camels I remember from back in the day...  translates to the sound on my TV - which is  classic and mooth, pure and unmistakably heady.