Gibson Brands Forums

A Hardshell Case For Hawks?

mihcmac

NightHawk and BluesHawk Hardshell Cases are very difficult to find that even come close to fitting correctly. The Nancy Wilson Fanatic comes with a Hardshell Case, being a member of the Hawk family has the same body dimensions/geometry and looks like it would fit the Nighthawk and Blueshawk perfectly. So I wonder if Epiphone could be influenced to release some Cases for older Hawk owners...?

wpppobnoyqlpnhgbip2e.webp

qyqi82rhsqpablx7fmkf.webp

Edited by mihcmac

When the Gibson Nighthawk was introduced in the early 90's and the Blueshawk later in 95 they came with Hardshell Cases. Later Gibson recommended SG cases for them which did'n fit very well. The Epiphone Nighthawks and Blueshawks came with Bags, but also recommended the Epiuphone SG Hardshell case which in addition does not fit well. The SG cases are what the aftermarket case builders also recommend. The body shape of Hawks are close to the SG body shape but the overall length of the Hawk is several inches is less than an SG. Anyway the Epiphone Nancy Wilson Fanatic Hardshell Case was made exactly to fit Hawks..

The best fitting case I had found for my Blueshawk was my Gibson Chainsaw LP case that doesn't have bouts.

JERWz17.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

I’ve seen NH cases from the 90s go for as much as $400 when in great condition - back in 2018. I could only imagine what someone on Reverb let’s say might want to value one today… But all that put aside, it’s a popular enough guitar that they should just reissue the damn thing and continue to make things like cases and replacement parts. Ehh… I’d be surprised if that ever happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grog said:

A SG case does fit. There is extra clearance by the small bout but the larger part of the body is an exact fit.

Yes I have used an SG Gibson Gear case at one point in time to store one of my NHs.  I eventually had my eyes peeled for a seller of a case and time to time, you find someone selling one for a great price - i.e. not $400.  I've bought some a couple years ago for $100, but that was a steal.  Was in great shape too...  Hey, if you don't have a NH and you need the cash, what good is that case gonna do you I suppose. 

I used to carry around an Epi SG in a Fender bass HS case for the longest time when I was a broke kid.  I just put a cloth-wrapped wooden block up near the headstock to snug it up and never had an issue.  I suppose you might do the same here with an SG case around the areas near where the horns would be if an SG was going in there.  Wouldn't be the worst thing that you would have to do...  But the 90s NH cases do fit NHs (and BHs for that matter) perfectly...  Just don't like the pink outline on the binding that I got from them, haha!  It was a thing with Gibson apparently back then - something you find out years later sort of like the headstock checking stuff that happened to LPs of that era. 

• Like 1

The point that I was sharing is that there is now a new Hardcase in production that is built to fit the Hawks exactly that is included with the Nancy Wilson Fanatic.

I do have a Gibson Deluxe SG case, an Epiphone Deluxe SG case and a Musician's Gear Deluxe SGS case, and really not satisfied with the way they fit my Blueshawk. So I want to try and get a Fanatic case.

Correction I left out a critical word in the last sentence.

Edited by mihcmac

59 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The point that I was sharing is that there is now a new Hardcase in production that is built to fit the Hawks exactly that is included with the Nancy Wilson Fanatic.

I do have a Gibson Deluxe SG case, an Epiphone Deluxe SG case and a Musician's Gear Deluxe SGS case, and really satisfied with the way they fit my Blueshawk. So I want to try and get a Fanatic case.

I'm totally with ya man...  I was trying to convey how difficult it may be to obtain say a 90s NH/BH case based on my experiences of being in the market before to get one - i.e. the best fitting case you can get IMHO.  Nowadays, when you see one going for $500, better take it seriously if you really want it because we live in crazy times.  I can only imagine what it's like in Hawaii when you need stuff.  But all in all, it would be great if you could get an aftermarket case for a uniquely shaped guitar like the NH/BH.  I am one for reissuing the NH and BH with the Gibson stuff as I am sure they should have an easy time selling them.  It's a love/hate guitar, but there is a following of NH fans.  I know because when I see a really nice one go up for sale, it sells relatively quick - given it is not grossly overpriced.  The thing is that back in 2011, they tried to change the design from the 90s, and I didn't take to it well enough.  Even in 2013, there are differences.  The Epis are OK though TBH, but again, not like the GD 90s!!!  😆

22 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

I'm totally with ya man...  I was trying to convey how difficult it may be to obtain say a 90s NH/BH case based on my experiences of being in the market before to get one - i.e. the best fitting case you can get IMHO.  Nowadays, when you see one going for $500, better take it seriously if you really want it because we live in crazy times.  I can only imagine what it's like in Hawaii when you need stuff.  But all in all, it would be great if you could get an aftermarket case for a uniquely shaped guitar like the NH/BH.  I am one for reissuing the NH and BH with the Gibson stuff as I am sure they should have an easy time selling them.  It's a love/hate guitar, but there is a following of NH fans.  I know because when I see a really nice one go up for sale, it sells relatively quick - given it is not grossly overpriced.  The thing is that back in 2011, they tried to change the design from the 90s, and I didn't take to it well enough.  Even in 2013, there are differences.  The Epis are OK though TBH, but again, not like the GD 90s!!!  😆

My Gibson Deluxe SG case fits my Blueshawk tighter as the Gibson SG body is slightly smaller than the Epiphone SG.

I can even fit a Tele in my Epiphone SG case but not in my Gibson SG case.

gy4BvNc.jpg

When I bought my first Les Paul used the store didn't have a Les Paul case.  The owner gave me a used Fender Strat case to put it in.  It didn't fit at all and yet I used that case without damage to the guitar for about 15 years.  Plenty of room for an extra shirt, a towel, the strap, tuner etc.    

• Like 1