Gibson Brands Forums

What strings to use on a 1920 Gibson L1?

Dan0

Hello all

I have a 1920 Gibson L1. I am replacing the strings and would like to get some recommendations please.

The current strings are old and fairly low volume, so Im not sure if the newer strings will be able to help to make it a bit louder/brighter?

Cheers

@merciful-evans Yep, that's correct. 🙂 Its a beautiful guitar. I love it. 

And that was my other thought actually. I wasn't sure on what gauge strings to use. I initially thought I would have to use light gauge due to the age and build of the guitar, but if you think it can handle heavier strings then I might go slightly heavier.

Thanks a lot for you info. 🙂

13 hours ago, Dan0 said:

@merciful-evans Yep, that's correct. 🙂 Its a beautiful guitar. I love it. 

And that was my other thought actually. I wasn't sure on what gauge strings to use. I initially thought I would have to use light gauge due to the age and build of the guitar, but if you think it can handle heavier strings then I might go slightly heavier.

Thanks a lot for you info. 🙂

You are best placed to know the condition of the instrument. If you are concerned about it, maybe consider getting a luthier to inspect it?

• Like 1

I have owned a variety of different sized guitars, including more delicate 30's era L0/L00s.  Years back I resolved to play in a dropped down D standard tuning, primarily to get a couple extra cowboy chord voice options, and help my funky old fingers.  A couple small bods, particularly a '58 Guild M20, went a little quiet with tuned down 12s, but  I learned heavier, tuned down 13's had around 30 lbs less pull than standard tuned 12s, but had enough torque to drive the top.  I found this to work on all my guitars, regardless of size, so I've adopted this method as my only way to play.  If I need to play in E-E tuning I grab one from my pile of capos and play on, happy to know my old guitars are less stressed in the resting phase.

I mostly use the nickel bronze D'Addarios, but also much love for their XT 80/20s.

Edited by jedzep

@jedzep Thank you very much for the info. I have never really considered D Standard tuning. Ive just researched it a bit more and I love the idea of it, so I will tune my L1 to that. Ive just bought a set of nickel bronze D'Addario 12s so hopefully  they will sound and play great. Anything will sound better than the rusted strings that were previously on it.
Thanks again for the insight. 🙂

The fly in the chardonnay might be that the nut slots, particularly the 5th and 6th, might need to be widened a bit if the thicker string wants to bind.  It also can take some finagling at the bridge pin holes if those same strings are constricting the pin on the way in, as it's of great importance that the ball ends rest securely against the bridge plate.   I've adjusted these factors where needed on every guitar I have, as I'll always play in this tuning until they pry my guitars from my cold, dead hands, no matter what my guitar buddies say.

Edited by jedzep

@jedzep Ahh yes. Good points. I will keep all that in mind when restringing, 🙂 

Also, I have just tuned my old Duolian to D Standard tuning and its great. Love the tone. I usually have it tuned to open D, but its nice to play in D Standard. Something different. So thanks again for the tips. Was a big help.

Glad I could suggest a useful tool.  Another good thing about dropping a full step is that most songs can be transposed using cowboy chords instead of searching for barre-heavy keys. 

I'll never go back to E-E or lighter strings, though I have a parlor resonator that stays to pitch because of multiple tunings and the online lap slide lessons I take.

Have fun!

Edited by jedzep
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 9:17 AM, Dan0 said:

@jedzep  Anything will sound better than the rusted strings that were previously on it.
Thanks again for the insight. 🙂

You got that right. There are so many different strings out there, it wouldn't hurt to experiment with brand names, gauges and such.  Strings should be replaced at least every month or sooner, depending on how much you play.  Many change them every two weeks to every week. Or one day, if you play on stage a long night? Your fingers and sweat can mess them up. the oils in your hands. Earnie Balls make fine strings also. It really is up to what sounds and feels best to you. I started with 11's and went to 10's and now due to arthritis, plus bending the strings a lot, I use 9's. Many who play solos a lot use 9's. Good luck. 

• Like 1