Gibson Brands Forums

Here is a true unbelievable story. Any electronic wizards?

Retired

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

I thought it would be an implausible but lovable Sundance story! 

Although no idea what it would entail. 

Mystery solved this morning.   We have 4 tv's in the house. The main one is downstairs in the family room. Debbie decided to go with Satellite a few years ago and so we have 2 remotes. The ones that came with the tv's and another one when we were hooked up to Satellite. The tv in my guitar room & downstairs work fine just using the satellite remote. I hardly ever watch plain tv. I watch Prime time, Netflix, U Tube, or Disney with the grandkids. So in the Guitar room and downstairs, the satellite remote works fine. The regular remote, I only need if, you want to watch 3, 6 or 7. Deb's favorite channel is 7. For some reason, the bedroom tv,  "which I very rarely ever watch, because it is bedtime," doesn't work like the other ones. When Deb is feeling good and sleeps up there, she has that tv on all night. That one, if you turn off by the satellite remote, has a tendency to come back on. I didn't know that. So first, you have to use the regular remote to turn off and it goes into a sleep mode where it goes off the channel but the tv lite stays on for 5 to 10 minutes and then shuts itself off, OR, After turning it off with the regular remote, then shut it down with the satellite remote. For some reason, that TV requires both remotes.  Yep, It did the on and off again with me this morning at 4:00 when I woke up to pee. That is what I did & it stayed off.  The kitchen tv she has, works off something else while she's cooking. 

14 hours ago, Retired said:

The TV is plugged into a surge chord which the 2 chargers are also plugged into. 

Was wondering that might be the case.  And so we have another(of the way too many) that has an issue with satellite TV.   I still use cable, and my cable remote turns on and off my TV, cable box and stereo receiver.  Simultaneously.  And has yet to turn just my TV back on after turning it off.   But my remote will work on any other TV hooked up to the same cable service.  I recall when one of my brothers in law lived next door to another brother in law(with the same cable service) he would f**k with the other one by using HIS cable remote to change channels and volume of the other's TV.  \:D/   The other brother in law was a heavy drinker and really freaked out whenever the one BIL did that.   See, in their Detroit neighborhood, the houses(c. 1920's) were so close together you could stand between them, raise your arms and touch both at the same time.  And too, each had a small window in the side wall of the house on both sides.  The one brother in law was pointing his remote though his small window, and into the other BIL's house through his small window in which the first guy could see the other's TV and hear him freaking out.  [wink]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Was wondering that might be the case.  And so we have another(of the way too many) that has an issue with satellite TV.   I still use cable, and my cable remote turns on and off my TV, cable box and stereo receiver.  Simultaneously.  And has yet to turn just my TV back on after turning it off.   But my remote will work on any other TV hooked up to the same cable service.  I recall when one of my brothers in law lived next door to another brother in law(with the same cable service) he would f**k with the other one by using HIS cable remote to change channels and volume of the other's TV.  \:D/   The other brother in law was a heavy drinker and really freaked out whenever the one BIL did that.   See, in their Detroit neighborhood, the houses(c. 1920's) were so close together you could stand between them, raise your arms and touch both at the same time.  And too, each had a small window in the side wall of the house on both sides.  The one brother in law was pointing his remote though his small window, and into the other BIL's house through his small window in which the first guy could see the other's TV and hear him freaking out.  [wink]

Whitefang

Haha, that would be irritating wouldn't it?  When we took a trip through Canada about 10 years ago, we noticed homes there were side to side.  Hardly room to walk through. The roofs almost touched each other. Well, that had me stumped anyway, plus I never watch that tv, it's there basically for Deb. She goes to bed early or 10:00 at the latest and a early riser.  I stay up till midnight most nights and get up around 8:00 to 8:30. There are times when I stay up till 1:00 to 2:00.  I love being the night owl as I can get a lot done. So mostly, I have the one on in the guitar room and Prime Video. The satellite remote is all I use. 

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Remember when things were simpler?

Haha, I remember a antena on top of the house with aluminum foil over it. Everyone had to watch he same black and white tv channel. No remotes, you had to get up out of your chair to turn the channel, and there were only 3 choices. 3-6-or 7. 

• Haha 1

Sorry Evans.  No image shows on my PC, I'm assuming, from Butch's response, it was a photo of houses with TV antennas.  Surely I do remember those.  But we never put foil on 'em.  THAT we saved for those "rabbit ears" on top of the set.  [wink]  As some things improved over the years some of the changes were....

A special adapter placed on top of the set and hooked up to the TV in order to get the couple of UHF channels in our area.  My dad got it specially to be able to get in the Detroit Red Wings games.

And the special rooftop antenna designed to pick up the TV signals from Tiger Stadium( where the Detroit Lions also played) during the "blacked out" games.

When my ex and I bought our first(and only for us) house in '73, we added a TENNA ROTOR  device that turned the TV antenna in different directions to strengthen the signal.  It would be another 8 years until cable finally came to our area.  Had some fun with that rotator though.  At times, I was able to pick up some Canadian stations that showed some pretty racy uncut movies on weekends.  [wink]

And by the way Butch....

Comic George Lopez joked about it but it was true in my case too.  Him saying when he was a kid, HE was the "remote".  [laugh]  I was in our house too.  Often I'd hear my Dad say, "Hey, Kenny.....  change it to channel 7...."   or whatever other channel.  [cool]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sorry Evans.  No image shows on my PC, I'm assuming, from Butch's response, it was a photo of houses with TV antennas.  Surely I do remember those.  But we never put foil on 'em.  THAT we saved for those "rabbit ears" on top of the set.  [wink]  As some things improved over the years some of the changes were....

A special adapter placed on top of the set and hooked up to the TV in order to get the couple of UHF channels in our area.  My dad got it specially to be able to get in the Detroit Red Wings games.

And the special rooftop antenna designed to pick up the TV signals from Tiger Stadium( where the Detroit Lions also played) during the "blacked out" games.

When my ex and I bought our first(and only for us) house in '73, we added a TENNA ROTOR  device that turned the TV antenna in different directions to strengthen the signal.  It would be another 8 years until cable finally came to our area.  Had some fun with that rotator though.  At times, I was able to pick up some Canadian stations that showed some pretty racy uncut movies on weekends.  [wink]

And by the way Butch....

Comic George Lopez joked about it but it was true in my case too.  Him saying when he was a kid, HE was the "remote".  [laugh]  I was in our house too.  Often I'd hear my Dad say, "Hey, Kenny.....  change it to channel 7...."   or whatever other channel.  [cool]

Whitefang

Yes, the rabbit ears, Foil on them and mom or dad were always fooling with them adjusting this way and that. Dad also climbed up on the roof with foil thinking that might help with the signal? Funny about you being the remote. When the remote was invented, Deb always called it a Clicker. That upset our son. "Mom, it's not a clicker, it's a remote!"  I think she did that on purpose to get back on him for all his faults.  😂

21 hours ago, Retired said:

Yes, the rabbit ears, Foil on them and mom or dad were always fooling with them adjusting this way and that. Dad also climbed up on the roof with foil thinking that might help with the signal? Funny about you being the remote. When the remote was invented, Deb always called it a Clicker. That upset our son. "Mom, it's not a clicker, it's a remote!"  I think she did that on purpose to get back on him for all his faults.  😂

I know people who still call it that.  And not for fun either.  [wink]  I also know some who still call their refrigerator  the "icebox".  There's different terms for the same things, like the "fridge" and "icebox" thing, or the "cupboard" / "Clapboard" thing, and some call it the sink, some the "basin",  Some call it the stove, others the "range" .  But EVERYBODY calls it "the junk drawer".  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I know people who still call it that.  And not for fun either.  [wink]  I also know some who still call their refrigerator  the "icebox".  There's different terms for the same things, like the "fridge" and "icebox" thing, or the "cupboard" / "Clapboard" thing, and some call it the sink, some the "basin",  Some call it the stove, others the "range" .  But EVERYBODY calls it "the junk drawer".  [wink]

Whitefang

I can trump that junk drawer. I have a whole junk room.

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

You hit the nail on the head there Ken! My junk drawer is in my tool chest in the garage,  Full of nuts, bolts, screws, nails, pop rivets, electrical stuff and so on! I have dividers that separates each to make it easier to find.  My dad had the same thing, although they were mixed all together. When I Drag raced the NHRA,  I was always looking in his drawer for stuff that might fit my needs. Yeah, when I worked at the Railroads, I picked up all sorts of words and slang.  When I married Debbie, she refused to take me to school functions as I might embarrass her in front of teachers, Lol. I used to do that, "I ain't got no, a lot."