Gibson Brands Forums

Love the sounds of this 33 L-00!

egoidealmusic

I was unaware of Mark's and Folkways' series of videos on vintage Gibsons and their construction quirks until now. I binged them all last night and today. Fantastic.  It's great to learn from someone who has taken apart, measured, repaired, and recreated so many different rare guitars and guitar parts, and so many of each that he can present plausible theories as to why Gibson may have built the way they did with such consistent inconsistency.  If anyone is aware of any similarly excellent videos and truly  informed presenters, please let us know. 

Red 333

Edited by Red 333

I just re-watched the video.  I particularly appreciate the way Mark was able to translate what he heard into words.  

I do think that anybody who loves Gibsons should get a chance to spend some quality time with a 1930s L series guitar.  While I do prefer a 12 fretter, I would love to get my hands on a rare but not unheard of 13 fret guitar and one of the the L00s with the elevated fingerboard.  It is not that I expect them to sound different but I just like the idea of both.  

I have had the Folkways site bookmarked for years - they have really good photos and description of the For Sale stuff. If I was reading about...X..., I would look up the old listings at Folkways to see if they have anything.

Watched a lot of the videos too. It would be nice if he had fingerpicked the 33 a bit, instead of the plectrum.

I wonder what Mark could think of my 37? Ha Ha....

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

12 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I have had the Folkways site bookmarked for years - they have really good photos and description of the For Sale stuff. If I was reading about...X..., I would look up the old listings at Folkways to see if they have anything.

Watched a lot of the videos too. It would be nice if he had fingerpicked the 33 a bit, instead of the plectrum.

I wonder what Mark could think of my 37? Ha Ha....

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777.

He might say it has the wrong logo on the headstock.   🙂

Seriously, I love the look of that guitar, and the pickguard is a stunner.