Gibson Brands Forums

Any love for the USA made Epiphone Frontiers?

sbpark

I realize there is a separate Epiphone acoustic forum, but it's like crickets over there. Plus the new USA-made Epiphones are made in the Gibson custom shop in Bozeman. 

I've always preferred longer-scale acoustics and with the Gibson lineup it's been AJ's and J200's. Always liked the sound of the Dove but aesthetically they just aren't my bag. Aside from the different shape bridge and some Doves that have the multi-ply maple/walnut necks while others have a mahogany neck, they're pretty similar. Body shape and bracing are the same. So I took a chance and ordered a Masterbilt Frontier, but was disappointed with it and sent it back. Ended up pulling the trigger on a new 2021 USA made Frontier that should be here Thursday. It has some crazy flame on the back and it's a beautiful guitar. The burst finish looks really nice on it from the photos I've seen.  Wasn't able to play it in person but had the shop send me some video and sound clips. 

Anyone else own one or get the chance to play one of these?

Edited by sbpark

14 minutes ago, pohatu771 said:

I've played one a few times. I can't compare it directly to a Dove, but I liked it. Very resonant, but brighter than my J-45 or Texan and more defined. The specific notes seem to be clearer/

The J-45's I've had were all over the place from thumpers to one having pretty tinny highs. I was looking for something that had a BIG sound that was clear but not tinny or harsh and was pretty dynamic and articulate, so I'm hoping I made a good choice with the Frontier. I've had  my D-18 now for about 3-4 years and think the Frontier would compliment that guitar quite well. I also never really got along with shorter scale guitars, and am pretty excited about the scale length of the Frontier. 

Edited by sbpark

i had an eye on one for a reallly long time (prior to the reissue) mostly for the look (great aesthetic and one of noel gallagher's guitars) but then i had the chance to play one at matt umanov in new york and i just didnt vibe with the long scale. 

I imagine it will appreciate in value better than run of the mill gibson lineup stuff, and in the meantime i still love the look of it.

In the epi channels you said you sent back one of the overseas frontiers due to build quality, but do you think you'll be able to honestly compare the MIUSA to the masterbilt from a tone perspective? I'd be interested in hearing a comparison as we just finished fighting about the IBG J200 vs. J200 vs. EJ-200 

Maple is my favorite tonewood, as it typically produces punchy & percussive notes that work well with my fingerpicking style - Just perfect if the tone is well balanced from string to string.  Conversely, sustain & lingering overtones are the enemy in my house.

Here’s hoping the Bozeman Frontier’s maple delivers the tone you’re after - Enjoy!