Gibson Brands Forums

I am going to sell off my guitars in shame

SteveFord

23 hours ago, Larsongs said:

A lot of kids would go hunting with their Dads when we were young.. Being taught how to handle Firearms when you were young used to be a way of life..

Yep, I remember kids on farms and such that went hunting.  But I wouldn't call that playing with real guns? I taught our son how to use a gun safely and the seriousness of using one and not a toy. In high school, many guys had a gun rack in the back of their truck.  You don't see that today. 

13 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I never(and still don't) owned a real gun.  And as a kid, B B guns were too expensive for my single Mother to afford, and by the time they were affordable for us I outgrew the interest in having one.

In grade school, there was a kid named, oddly enough, Paul Neuman( pronounced like the actor, but nowhere as good looking) who had his own shotgun his Dad got him so they could duck hunt together.  It got him a lot of "cool" points in school among the rest of us guys. 

Over the years I've had occasion to drive by his house many times and going by I'd often wonder whatever became of him.

And Butch, finding that kid sized nylon stringed guitar for a "lefty" might not be possible, but if you get it at a music store you could ask what it might cost to convert it for you.

Whitefang

Grayson is ambidextrous and can use bothy hands. But to watch him, he bats right handed, he writes, left handed, he plays the guitar left handed. Both have a Ukulele we got them. That was just to practice pushing down the strings. I just don't know if their interest is still there? Mark, plays the drums and they love going there but I guess he never plays around them. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

You do everything on the farm young, driving, hunting, running machinery. It was the sixties, had 1 tv channel that came in occasionally, so you spent your day outside. Since we didn’t have much money for toys and such, I’d go out to the shop and practice welding, clean shop, or whatever. You kept yourself entertained, much different than my town friends who got to play all day. 

I was born in Sioux City and lived on a farm till I was 2, then my parents moved to Council Bluffs. I remember some farm days growing up as we visited relatives there a lot. My favorite thing was climbing trees, Lol. And jumping out of the barn into hay. 

10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Besides a BB Gun & my Dads Guns.. My brother & I had Bows & Arrows.. Responsibility is learned.. We were taught by my Dad, Uncles & Grandpa.. We lived in Minnesota when I was a kid. City & Country.. My Uncles & Grandpa had large Properties & farms in northern Minn. on Lakes in Forest areas.. It felt like it was like the 1800’s at times.. It was a great place to be a kid..

I was much too young still and no-one taught me about the bow & arrow.  My uncle stayed with us and I knew where he kept his though.  All my friends wanted to play cowboys and Indians, No one would be the Indian, so I volunteered. I had the headband and feather. Gosh, must have been 3 or 4? Don had a cheap bow and target arrows. So I grabbed it and we all ran around playing, They wanted me to shoot arrows at them but I couldn't hit anyone. Moms came out calling everyone home for dinner except me and my best friend. He jumped on the swing and wanted to see if I could hit him. Arrow after arrow I missed. Then I still remember, I thought; I have to shoot ahead of him or behind him and let him come into it. I pulled back as much as I could and let go. The arrow hit him in the mouth. He screamed, jumped off and ran home. OH, God, I thought I was dead when dad came home. His mom took him to the hospital, he was fine and of course I put everything back.  When he came home his mom brought him over and I was called downstairs. Our stories matched up and nothing happened to me. However, my Uncle was in big trouble for leaving his bow and arrow set out where a kid could get it out. 

• Like 1