Gibson Brands Forums

I am going to sell off my guitars in shame

SteveFord

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

YT is filled with phenoms that can shred up and down a neck all day long. When I listen to Satriani or any of those shredders, after about 3 songs I've had enough of a barrage of notes, and I am spent. Technically its amazing. The Beatles did not need to shred to make some greatest music ever recorded.

yea,, this  100%  they have amazing hands, but for gotta take in small doses, then it's ok..  

18 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Okay, so I won't sell anything and might buy something.

I would like a wine red ES-335 with a trapeze tailpiece.  

That might make me feel better about how good that young girl is and how bad I am by comparison.

And maybe a white Firebird V that doesn't cost $9000 and look like it was dragged behing a pick up truck in a swamp.

Those would certainly make me feel a lot better! Lol

• Like 1

Some amazing guitar players.  Wish I had a fraction of their talent……..Still, life is often unfair.  You can let that kill your dreams and aspirations or you can keep striving to be “you.”  Sure, I wish I had their skills (they are outstanding!), but I’m me and at this stage of my life I’m happy and pretty satisfied with what I do.  I’m an adequate guitar player and I think my music (songs) fit well with the coffeehouses and wineries I play and I suspect their talents and music fit well for what they do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

There's a lot of talented young lady guitarists out there.  And by the way....

What were YOU playing at 7 years old?

Whitefang

That would probably be Slot Cars! Haha. I didn't start playing guitars till I was 13.  That guitar looks way too big for her.

12 hours ago, Retired said:

She was very good on the guitar though, I tried to get the grandkids interested in guitar but think I'm loosing them. They never want to press the strings down, Hurts they say. 

Well, take a hint from that girl in the video.

Buy 'em inexpensive guitars with nylon strings(if you haven't already)  The mistake I made when trying to get my daughters to learn guitar was buying a "cheapie" guitar with steel strings.  That "hurts the fingers" thing killed it for them too.

Whitefang

I think with getting kiddos to learn music is sort of like planting a seed.  Here's a story about me and how I learned somewhat young.  When I was 9 learning (starting) piano, I hated it (the weekly lessons).  Absolutely hated it.  I ended up stopping by the time I was 11.  I learned a lot about how to read music though and haven't forgotten anything it seems.  I can read bass and treble clefs - together - as one should when they play piano, and this helped me to play guitar... I guess - which I HAD an interest in to do by the time I was 14.  So learning music on the guitar was different, but when I started doing this, I already had a lot of musical concepts ironed out by that time.  It wasn't until I started playing with this metal band back when I was 20 that I wanted to get back into playing the piano.  There was a keyboardist there who wasn't very good, and I wanted to show him some things.  What do you know, I sat behind my mom's piano days shortly after and I learned a song she used to play for me.  One thing led to another, then I just continued to play the piano again more and more frequently.  I even bought my own keyboard to gig with and ended up playing keys for quite some time - this and electric guitar.  I realized that no matter which I played, they both kept me sharp musically speaking.  Granted, playing things like Chopin - which I learned a little later in life I guess you could say - wouldn't have happened if I didn't start when I did.  So long story short, glad I was forced to learn music at a young age.  I thanked my mom for it because back then, I didn't realize how much of a gift that was.  I'm not the best, nor the worst, but I definitely don't suck lol.  I work hard at music because I love it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Well, take a hint from that girl in the video.

Buy 'em inexpensive guitars with nylon strings(if you haven't already)  The mistake I made when trying to get my daughters to learn guitar was buying a "cheapie" guitar with steel strings.  That "hurts the fingers" thing killed it for them too.

Whitefang

I will try that, I'll start with Grayson since he is 7 now. How hard will a left handed acoustic guitar be to find though?  Not your normal guitar to be found for kids. 

49 minutes ago, Retired said:

At 7? That is awful young to be responsible with a gun? I had BB guns as a kid but I can't remember how old I was. Red Rider BB rifle was my first one. And No, I didn't shoot my eye out Lol. 

A lot of kids would go hunting with their Dads when we were young.. Being taught how to handle Firearms when you were young used to be a way of life..

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

A lot of kids would go hunting with their Dads when we were young.. Being taught how to handle Firearms when you were young used to be a way of life..

I never(and still don't) owned a real gun.  And as a kid, B B guns were too expensive for my single Mother to afford, and by the time they were affordable for us I outgrew the interest in having one.

In grade school, there was a kid named, oddly enough, Paul Neuman( pronounced like the actor, but nowhere as good looking) who had his own shotgun his Dad got him so they could duck hunt together.  It got him a lot of "cool" points in school among the rest of us guys. 

Over the years I've had occasion to drive by his house many times and going by I'd often wonder whatever became of him.

And Butch, finding that kid sized nylon stringed guitar for a "lefty" might not be possible, but if you get it at a music store you could ask what it might cost to convert it for you.

Whitefang

9 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

How does Robbing Liquor Stores at 10 with Guns have anything to do with playing Guitars?

It’s funny how Threads drift….

Some of us just ain't got no learning, myself included.

And now back to what stings to use on my J-200 for the 7000th time.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 hours ago, Retired said:

At 7? That is awful young to be responsible with a gun? I had BB guns as a kid but I can't remember how old I was. Red Rider BB rifle was my first one. And No, I didn't shoot my eye out Lol. 

You do everything on the farm young, driving, hunting, running machinery. It was the sixties, had 1 tv channel that came in occasionally, so you spent your day outside. Since we didn’t have much money for toys and such, I’d go out to the shop and practice welding, clean shop, or whatever. You kept yourself entertained, much different than my town friends who got to play all day. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gibson said:

You do everything on the farm young, driving, hunting, running machinery. It was the sixties, had 1 tv channel that came in occasionally, so you spent your day outside. Since we didn’t have much money for toys and such, I’d go out to the shop and practice welding, clean shop, or whatever. You kept yourself entertained, much different than my town friends who got to play all day. 

Besides a BB Gun & my Dads Guns.. My brother & I had Bows & Arrows.. Responsibility is learned.. We were taught by my Dad, Uncles & Grandpa.. We lived in Minnesota when I was a kid. City & Country.. My Uncles & Grandpa had large Properties & farms in northern Minn. on Lakes in Forest areas.. It felt like it was like the 1800’s at times.. It was a great place to be a kid..