Gibson Brands Forums

I am going to sell off my guitars in shame

SteveFord

My guitar playing is horrible but it’s never discouraged or intimidated me to see some whiz-bang gunslinger like the ones shown in the shared videos. I’ve always said that no matter how hot sh__ you get, inside of a week there’ll be a 14 year old kid in Akron, OH that can play the same thing, only faster. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

My guitar playing is horrible but it’s never discouraged or intimidated me to see some whiz-bang gunslinger like the ones shown in the shared videos. I’ve always said that no matter how hot sh__ you get, inside of a week there’ll be a 14 year old kid in Akron, OH that can play the same thing, only faster. 

aint that the truth...  the speed is an admirable skill, but, a little bit goes a long way with my ears.

I think speed is nice to use with good taste. Going a million MPH all the time is just like rambling a ton of words and no one can understand. For instance in a solo there might be a time to have a real quick set of notes but generally I feel that a solo should emphasize the rhythm always. A solo to me is like trying to make the guitar sing when the vocalist takes a break. In short, one should try to make the guitar say something other than I can play this fast if that’s one’s intentions. 

With regards to playing better and wishing one was better, etc. it’s about putting in work. If one does nothing to learn new things or doesn’t spend time to actually play even (or playing the same stuff mindlessly) improvement will be hard to come by. I spend a lot of time these days it seems learning new chords and playing with some backing tracks which have these new chords in them. I learn the chord first in a few different positions so if I do decide to spit out a lead, I know the notes that make the rhythm more emphasized. But again, it takes time and thought some may not have these days - time that is… 

I don’t play my piano that much these days but I used to play a ton of great music on it. My mother was a pianist and started me at 9 years of age. I actually hated it at first and went to guitar at 14 when I wanted to play like all the rock heroes we love and know - like Led Zeppelin, Beatles, and even started to get into heavy metal as I really am into these days. But I learned how to play some piano pieces that people have complimented me on graciously when I shared a performance - and I know it took me years to learn and perfect these pieces. I worked on a couple at a time and they sort of become part of you or somewhat “your own”. I would get so frustrated with certain parts of say Chopin that I would literally just scream F! Smash my hands on the keyboard and stomp my feet out the room only to come back the next day and play it right all of a sudden. And if you want to do it well, have to do it all the time. The rust accumulates FAST! Overall talent like this takes years to develop and just so happens when you’re young you have a lot of time to develop as well as the brain agreeing to mold so to speak. Although I think at any age, people can aspire to learn even still. 

So I encourage all to put in the work. Make art that is worth sharing with others. This is my take and it’s not necessarily right, but it works for me to enjoy why I play music. I like playing in a band… I like sharing music… It’s literally all I do when I have time to myself these days in our hustle and bustle world. 

21 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

That young girl just demoralized me so much I sold them  off and bought a nice leather mask with a smiley face done up in pointy chrome studs and they threw in a matching choke collar.

Fukin love that album. I have my original on vinyl. Got the second one too, and a few others if theirs.

I could run away to Spain

But I’d just get tied again 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, sparquelito said:

It was Niccolò Paganini who could really shred. 

😗

Nicolo_Paganini.jpg

From The Three Stooges at the Circus:

Larry "Hey Moe, what are you reading?"

Moe "Paganini"

Larry "Paganini?  Wait a minute, let me see that.  That's page nine."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

At first I thought she had a thumb pick like Johnny Winter used to use but then when she's getting in touch with her inner whammy bar you can see she's gripping a pick.

It looks like she hasn't been heard from since 2016 for unknown reasons.

I think its smoke and mirrors as she may not even be plugged in, and miming to a baking track.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

YT is filled with phenoms that can shred up and down a neck all day long. When I listen to Satriani or any of those shredders, after about 3 songs I've had enough of a barrage of notes, and I am spent. Technically its amazing. The Beatles did not need to shred to make some greatest music ever recorded.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

Y'know, the history of popular music in the 2nd half of the 20th century is full of "covers" of music from the "classical" genre into rock.

A few examples-----

Even long before any of these were done, there've been songs in popular music that were built on the foundations of 19th and 18th century orchestral music.  In the '70's, British actor John Williams(no relation to the composer) did a TV record offer commercial for an album containing many of them.  Like this popular '40's tune....

I'm gonna try to find my OP from another forum I was in about "classical rock"  which addresses this.

43 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think its smoke and mirrors as she may not even be plugged in and, miming to a baking track.

I wondered about that to since the clip didn't show anybody eles playing all that background music.  As for her jeans....

Collateral damage, as she WAS shredding!  [wink]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

Well, in the first 30 or so seconds of THIS...

You'll hear something that sounds a lot like what you'll hear at the 1:36 point  in THIS;  Zappa was no slouch in the musical knowledge department.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

12 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Well, in the first 30 or so seconds of THIS...

You'll hear something that sounds a lot like what you'll hear at the 1:36 point  in THIS;  Zappa was no slouch in the musical knowledge department.

No he was not. Yet he gets slagged on all the time as being a talentless hack. No one will ever come along like him ever again. I think if you told Zappa you identified as a cat he would have 'accepted' it, and then made a song about how ridiculous you are.

• Like 1