Gibson Brands Forums

Lyle Lovett

Sgt. Pepper

Just got back from seeing Lyle at the Sandler Center in Virginia Beach, VA. 6th row center. What a show. He played for 2 hours. It was all acoustic. His band was top shelf. His stand up bass player is Allison Krause's brother. 

• Like 2

I just got tix to see him again at the Carolina Opry Theater. I’m in the balcony 2nd row. I’m down in Little River, SC, and I saw on a billboard he is playing Sunday night. Went immediately to the box office and got tix. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just to show what kind if man Lyle is,  a few years ago he did a show here in Boise at a pizza restaurant owned by a man who grew up in Lyles hometown. The owner of the restaurant had just lost his wife to brain cancer after a long battle.  This pizza place could seat maybe 25 people.  In return, the man gifted Lyle a  vintage Huskvarna dirt bike, an exact copy of the one Lyle raced when he was a kid growing up in Texas. Needless to say it that show helped the family cover health care cost.

Sadly the restaurant owner died two years ago.  Lyle will always have my respect for playing that gig after doing a show here in Boise. 

Edited by jaxson50

2 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

Just to show what kind if man Lyle is,  a few years ago he did a show here in Boise at a pizza restaurant owned by a man who grew up in Lyles hometown. The owner of the restaurant had just lost his wife to brain cancer after a long battle.  This pizza place could seat maybe 25 people.  In return, the man gifted Lyle a  vintage Huskvarna dirt bike, an exact copy of the one Lyle raced when he was a kid growing up in Texas. Needless to say it that show helped the family cover health care cost.

Sadly the restaurant owner died two years ago.  Lyle will always have my respect for playing that gig after doing a show here in Boise. 

First I heard of him.  Congrats on the concert Sgt. 

7 hours ago, Murph said:

Lyle was always cool.

Still is and he gave it to Julia Roberts for a while. I wonder if he asked her to dress up in her Pretty Woman hooker outfit every once and while?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The Dobro player was off the hook. All of them were killer players.

I'd think you'd have to be top-notch to be able to keep up with Lyle.... I find his songs very "Jazzy".  (But then "Country Swing" is pretty "Jazzy" too!).

2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I'd think you'd have to be top-notch to be able to keep up with Lyle.... I find his songs very "Jazzy".  (But then "Country Swing" is pretty "Jazzy" too!).

He does is own thing. He gets labeled as county, but his stuff is so cool.